Old March 8th 04, 05:26 AM
WShoots1

Default Serious Grundig FR200 Problem

Saturday, sunshine finally returned to SE Texas, so I thought I'd eat lunch, a
couple of mini pizzas and beer, while sitting on my porch and surfing SW on the
FR200 I'd recently bought "just because."

The upper band seemed open because, among other things, I heard 20 MHz WWV for
the first time in a long time. But I heard it in more than one place. Checking
further, I heard all the other readable stations in two places, 910 kHz apart.
(Before that, I thought the multiple broadcasts were simulcasts on different
frequencies.) So the high end wasn't that hot. Oh, and I heard 15 and 10 MHz
WWV stations in two places, too.

But a bad image problem in inexpensive radios is something I thought went away
with modern circuitry. It has excessive backlash in the tuning, too. I am
really disappointed in the receiver. I'd like to see a jWIN with the FR200's
features. The upside is that I could pick the signal that wasn't being
interfered with. G

Bill, K5BY
Old March 8th 04, 07:23 AM
Pete KE9OA

It sounds like a single conversion receiver, that has a 455kHz I.F. You are
hearing the opposite sideband response from the mixer.

Pete

Old March 8th 04, 12:27 PM
Diverd4777

Bill:

This is the downside to inexpensive receivers;
You hear " everything " all over the dial.

The Jwin JX - m-14 I bought for $15 has the same problem;
local AM stations show up all over the dial.

BUT the Double reduction Sangean 606A does not have these problems.

Walking around with the Jwin in the A.M. I can pick up Radio Australia
and Radio Canada. Works for me.

The FR-200 Is probably a good set to have in an emergency. You won't have to
tune too far to hear whatever local station is broadcasting.

During the NE Blackout last summer, Whilst driving back from Midtown Manhattan,
sans stoplights ( Used to be a Cab Driver, no worries )

I could pick up all sorts of stuff on a single reduction set. Local stations
had kicked into Generator backup, BBC sailed in from Ascension & Antigua,
All with news that we had no electricity.

- So you all ready have the radio.

Suggest stocking up on Wine, Beer & candles

Dan

Old March 8th 04, 03:06 PM
Jim Hackett

Funny you mention this. The other day my VR-5000 was picking up WWV about
every 100 khz over a spread of about 10mhz. I freaked cause it is fairly
new. My R-75 wasn't doing it. I turned it off and back on again then it
was fine! Sorry, I realize this is of NO help to you. I just had to
mention the similarity...

Old March 9th 04, 08:26 AM
N8KDV

Larry W4CSC wrote:

Look on the bottom. See where it says "Made in China"? Grundigs are
made in GERMANY, not Asia......

Are you certain about that? I don't think Grundig has manufactured any radios in
Germany for some time now.

The FR200 may be badged Grundig, but it is indeed made by Eton in Asia.

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old March 9th 04, 08:45 AM
Brenda Ann

"N8KDV" wrote in message

Larry W4CSC wrote:

Look on the bottom. See where it says "Made in China"? Grundigs are
made in GERMANY, not Asia......

Are you certain about that? I don't think Grundig has manufactured any

radios in
Germany for some time now.

Even as far back as the Sat 600, they were made primarily in Portugal..

Old March 9th 04, 08:46 AM
N8KDV

Brenda Ann wrote:

"N8KDV" wrote in message

Larry W4CSC wrote:

Look on the bottom. See where it says "Made in China"? Grundigs are
made in GERMANY, not Asia......

Are you certain about that? I don't think Grundig has manufactured any

radios in
Germany for some time now.

Even as far back as the Sat 600, they were made primarily in Portugal..

That's what I thought.

Old March 10th 04, 01:10 AM
RHF

W4CSC & N8KDV,

IN-FACT: The Tecsun GREEN 88 "Emergency" Radio was 'originally'
"Designed" and "Manufactured" by Tecsun GEM in China (PRC).
G88E= http://www.tecsun.com.cn/product/green-88/green-88.htm

The "Grundig FR200 AM/FM/SW Emergency Radio" that is Sold
in the USA and Canada by Grundig North America (ETON Corp.)
is a 're-badged' Tecsun GREEN 88 "Emergency" Radio.
OVERVIEW= http://tinyurl.com/yrh8t
http://www.grundigradio.com/asp/Prod...ction=overview

Specifications for the "Grundig FR200 AM/FM/SW Emergency Radio".
SPECS= http://tinyurl.com/2fnse
http://etoncorp.com/asp/productspecs...ctnam e=fr200

Owner's Manual for the "Grundig FR200 AM/FM/SW Emergency Radio".
MANUAL= http://tinyurl.com/ywa7w
http://etoncorp.com/asp/productowner... uctname=fr200

"FAQs" for the "Grundig FR200 AM/FM/SW Emergency Radio".
FAQ= http://tinyurl.com/ywwqn
http://etoncorp.com/asp/products.asp...ductname=fr200

NEWS ITEM: Eton's Grundig FR200 Receives "Good Housekeeping's"
GOOD BUY Award the Grundig FR200 provides access to information
and light when its needed most.
GoTo= http://www.grundigradio.com/asp/december4.asp

eHAM "Review" of the Grundig FR200 / Tecsun Green 88
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/2573

FWIW: Tecsun has a 'newer' GREEN (Environmentally Friendly) Radio;
the Tecsun Green 138 has many good features and full coverage
from 3.2 MHz to 22 MHz.
Note - NO Gap between 7.6-9.2 MHz as with the Green 88.
http://www.tecsun.com.cn/product/138/138-1.htm

The Tecsun GREEN 138 has a Slightly 'smaller' Vertical Format.
Note - More Portable at 88% of the Size and Weight of the Green 88.
The 'style' of this Tecsun Green 138 Emergency Radio sort of looks
like one of the old GE Portable Radio Models 7-2810G (AM & FM),
P-975A/B P977B (AM & FM) , GE Globestar 10 (AM & SW) from the
1960s and 1970s.

jm2cw ~ RHF
..

Old March 10th 04, 04:38 AM
WShoots1

All of my other radios were made in China and not even the $9.99 B&H has an
image problem.

I'd take it back to Shack where I got it, but they wouldn't understand what I
was talking about. A guy at RS HQ in Fort Worth used to be responsive, but only
about stuff that were made directly for Shack.

Oh well... It should come in handy during an emergency, i.e., when the
commercial mains are off and I'm out of AA's.

I guess I'll go back to the B&H for SW band surfing.

Bill, K5BY

GE Superadios for Dummies [ GE Super Radios I - II - III ] RHF Shortwave 9 March 22nd 04 09:37 AM
YB400PE [email protected] Shortwave 7 February 5th 04 12:34 PM
Grundig Yacht Boy (YB) Radios that are offered World Wide under the Grundig Yacht Boy (YB) Brand Name RHF Shortwave 5 February 5th 04 12:23 PM
Grundig Satellit 900 -=V=- Eton E1 XM Radio RHF Shortwave 5 February 5th 04 12:14 PM
GE Superadio III earphone difficulty - and what is OHM rating Ronald Shortwave 49 January 22nd 04 07:04 PM