Old March 11th 04, 10:10 PM
S R

Default Article on Callsigns

I picked up Popular Communication magazine (March 2004). On page 36 their
is an article on call signs for SWL's.

But one question, if you are a SWL and you have no ARRL license, then when
do you use your SWL callsign issued by SWARL?

If your a SWL, scanner, FRS and CBer, would this all be printed in your
certificate?

And, does the SWARL website allows people to look up callsigns?

I think that it is a good idea to issue callsigns. I think that it could
enhance the hobby. I am more interested in picking up DX broadcasting
stations then ragchew.

I wish Popular Communication magazine would improve their shortwave listing
guide!

73

Old March 12th 04, 01:44 AM
JJ

S R wrote:
I picked up Popular Communication magazine (March 2004). On page 36 their
is an article on call signs for SWL's.

But one question, if you are a SWL and you have no ARRL license, then when
do you use your SWL callsign issued by SWARL?

If your a SWL, scanner, FRS and CBer, would this all be printed in your
certificate?

And, does the SWARL website allows people to look up callsigns?

I think that it is a good idea to issue callsigns. I think that it could
enhance the hobby. I am more interested in picking up DX broadcasting
stations then ragchew.

I wish Popular Communication magazine would improve their shortwave listing
guide!

73

If you have one of these swl callsigns, you are required to; every 10
minutes lean out the window and yell as loud as you can, "this is swl
call sign xxxxxxxx listening on 39 (or whatever meter band) meters.

Old March 12th 04, 04:09 PM
AllanStern

I wish Popular Communication magazine would improve their shortwave listing
guide!

The magazine you want to read is Monitoring Times. For many years it has been
the "Bible" for monitors and SWLers.
www.monitoringtimes.com
www.grove-ent.com

AL STERN Satellite Beach FL
Old March 12th 04, 06:27 PM
Michael Black

"-=jd=-" ) writes:
On Fri 12 Mar 2004 02:38:02p, "Tom Sevart"
wrote in message
:

"AllanStern" wrote in message
I wish Popular Communication magazine would improve their
shortwave

listing
guide!

The magazine you want to read is Monitoring Times. For
many years it has

been
the "Bible" for monitors and SWLers.

And in past years has far surpassed Popular Communications
in quality, in my opinion.

I'd like to get a subscription, but it seems not toolong ago
in here there was one (or more) publications that went under.
I'd hate to get a sub, only to have the magazine stop
publishing. Does anyone have an impression on how long they
expect "Monitoring Times" to be around? Anyone heard any
scuttlebutt?

You can never know when a magazine will go under, there is
always a chance that something will come along and blow the
bank so the magazine sinks.

You are asking the wrong quesiton. Better to ask if anyone
has seen any signs that a magazine is fading, because then it
might be risky to subscribe. But that is subjective, and there
can be a lot of stages between some fading and an actual magazine
death.

A magazine just starting up is more likely to fail than a magazine
that has been around for years or decades. it's not a guarantee,
but any new business is risky.

"Monitoring Times" has been around for years, so there is no
reason to suspect it won't be around for years. You can't judge
it on that basis.

Or, a forty year old magazine can disappear practically overnight.
There's no guarantee that way either.

I don't see any indication that subscribing to "Monitoring Times"
is a risk, unless you put too much value in any subscription being
a risk.

Michael

Old March 12th 04, 07:38 PM
Tom Sevart

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
Frontenac, KS

Old March 12th 04, 08:42 PM
CW

The SWL callsigns have as much meaning as the secret decoder ring that you
get out of the serial box. There is no guarantee that you have a unique call
either as anyone can make them up. Save your money, make one up and print
your own certificate. It is just as valuable.

Old March 12th 04, 11:48 PM
Rob Mills

"CW" wrote in message

as the secret decoder ring that you get out of the serial box.

Your kidding? You mean you can still get these?

Old March 13th 04, 02:17 AM
AC Smith

"Tom Sevart" wrote in message ...
"AllanStern" wrote in message
I wish Popular Communication magazine would improve their shortwave

listing
guide!

The magazine you want to read is Monitoring Times. For many years it has

been
the "Bible" for monitors and SWLers.

And in past years has far surpassed Popular Communications in quality, in my
opinion.

I have to agree too. There (IMO) just seems to be way more content in
MT that Pop Comm. I have been known to pick up Pop Comm off the
newsstand from time to time though. I really have no idea why they
even put that cardboard SW center section in, it hasn't ever really
been useful to me.

Adam
Old March 13th 04, 04:33 AM
Melvin Creep

[...]

is enough to make one contemplate suicide!
Melvin
Old March 13th 04, 06:32 AM
CW

Actually, I wouldn't know. I haven't dug the prize out a serial box in at
least 35 years.

"Rob Mills" wrote in message

"CW" wrote in message

as the secret decoder ring that you get out of the serial box.

Your kidding? You mean you can still get these?

Help finding QST 1995 article please Dave Bullock Equipment 0 October 18th 04 03:32 PM
Help finding QST 1995 article please Dave Bullock Equipment 0 October 18th 04 03:32 PM
The Pool N2EY Policy 515 February 22nd 04 03:14 AM
Why I Like The ARRL N2EY Policy 103 January 16th 04 12:56 AM
LQQKing for Construction Article NEDROG Antenna 4 September 16th 03 05:53 AM