Old March 23rd 04, 05:19 AM
Vic Martinez

Interesting, do they still SELL the '2010 nowadays? And where's the best
place to get one now? I used to own one years ago and was very satisfied
with it. And from what I hear, amazingly, after ALL these years, as that
it can pretty much still outperform ALL portables, and even hold it's
own with some tabletop models!

Old March 23rd 04, 05:53 AM
Philip Campbell

I may take you up on that afterI test the ATS-505 I picked up on ebay. $72
includes shipping, real-up antenna, earbuds, case. We shall see. I went
into the local Radio shack to check out a YB-400, but inside of the metal
building did not help recpetion or testing. Busy store with nervous,
hovering sales people. Can I help you? Can I help you ? Cam I help you ?
Thanks !

"Love2camp5" wrote in message
Please tell me (kindly) if I am out of line here, but...

Pick up a used DX-398 and a
Grundig Yacht Boy 400 on Ebay

I do have a like-brand-new YB400PE for sale, in the box, all accessories,

for
sale.

He can email me if he's interested.

Linda King

Old March 24th 04, 10:20 PM
Jacob Norlund

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 23:19:30 -0600, Vic Martinez wrote:

Interesting, do they still SELL the '2010 nowadays? And where's the best
place to get one now? I used to own one years ago and was very satisfied
with it. And from what I hear, amazingly, after ALL these years, as that
it can pretty much still outperform ALL portables, and even hold it's
own with some tabletop models!

It's a great radio.

Sony discontinued production of it in 2003, but it's still available
through E-Bay and the like.
Old April 3rd 04, 04:25 PM
Philip Campbell

Thanks you guys and gals for all your help. I picked up a used ATS505 on
ebay for $65. Its a good starter unit. With the reel-up antenna included,
I have picked up Radio Habana, Stations from Germany and Russia, and of
course the BBC. Also, some station much closer in the continental US.

From what I read, the Sony 2010 is a great unit, some used ones on ebay
going for just under $200. Maybe after a while I will check it out.

Thanks !

"Jacob Norlund" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 22:34:28 -0500, Philip Campbell wrote:

I am looking to buy a DX-398 and was wondering if this unit has better
reception than an ATS-505? I listen most to MW, but I wanted to get

into
some SWL. I am new to swl.

thanks

Hello. Welcome to the hobby. (I don't think I've posted here, since, oh,
1999!). Personally, I think the radio for you would be a Sony ICF2010.
Great reception, perfect size for base use but still "portable", decent
audio. Reputed to be one of the best DXing portables out there. It also
comes with a short random wire (I think that's what it's called) antenna,
a smart inclusion that boosts signals (all you do is plug one side to the
radio and clip the other to a tree, etc.). Also receives AM, FM,
longwave, and the VHF aircraft band (you can here your local planes on
it). I live in what is known to be the not-so-best reception area
(northern midwest), yet I've found it good for pulling some interesting
signals out of the air.

Enjoy the hobby!

Old April 5th 04, 01:56 AM
Jay Heyl

In article , t1000
@webtv.net says...
Interesting, do they still SELL the '2010 nowadays? And where's the best
place to get one now? I used to own one years ago and was very satisfied
with it. And from what I hear, amazingly, after ALL these years, as that
it can pretty much still outperform ALL portables, and even hold it's
own with some tabletop models!

Sony quit making the 2010, I believe, last year. Ebay is the best place
I know of to get one these days. They show up fairly regularly. You
might also try the used equipment listing at Universal Radio.

-- Jay