Old March 21st 04, 04:28 PM
elg110254

Default Parts Aint Profitable Fer Ratio Shaq !!!

Went to Ratio Shaq to buy electronic parts to complete a project recently. Had
to spend $6 for a set of resistors, as those formerly available $1 per pair
offerings had mysteriously diminished. Told the clerk about how strange that
seemed, along with no longer seeing boxes of woofers-n-tweeters for speaker mod
projects. "Parts are no longer profitable for Tandy", he explained." We make
our profits on cell phones and satellite dishes". Just remember that scenario
next time a clerk, who is supposed to have answers, goes blank when you inquire
about a shortwave-related subject.
Old March 21st 04, 07:12 PM
Newsgroup Lurker

They should change the name now...
From Radio Shack to Radio Boutique.

No more bits and pieces, only fashionable electronics..

Old March 21st 04, 07:12 PM
Macman

I have had similar experiences. It can get quite frustrating to get what we
would think would be a very common 'widget' or 'gizmo' for sw use and to
only be met that blank stare after the inquiry. A suggestion, I have a
Radio Shack outlet store in my local area that carries most of their
discontinue stuff. I have lucked out in the past going there as opposed to
the mall/store front type of Radio Shack. May want to see if there is an RS
Outlet Store in your local area.
Hope this helps and keep the faith!

Old March 21st 04, 08:46 PM
Skweezieweezie

RadioShack used to be an Electronics store
that sold some cellphones.

Now it's a Cellphone store that sells some electronics.

Old March 22nd 04, 01:30 AM
Jay Heyl

In article , elg110254
@aol.com says...
Went to Ratio Shaq to buy electronic parts to complete a project recently. Had
to spend $6 for a set of resistors, as those formerly available $1 per pair
offerings had mysteriously diminished. Told the clerk about how strange that
seemed, along with no longer seeing boxes of woofers-n-tweeters for speaker mod
projects. "Parts are no longer profitable for Tandy", he explained." We make
our profits on cell phones and satellite dishes". Just remember that scenario
next time a clerk, who is supposed to have answers, goes blank when you inquire
about a shortwave-related subject.

IMHO, it will be a huge mistake for Radio Shack to discontinue selling
parts. What other reason is there for going to Radio Shack? I MIGHT buy
a cell phone from Radio Shack, but I'll have gone in there looking for
something to convert BNC to 2.5mm miniplug. If I know they don't have
the converter I need, they aren't getting the cell phone sale because
I'll never go in.

Radio Shack. You've got questions, we've got batteries.

-- Jay

Old March 22nd 04, 04:09 AM
LW

"Newsgroup Lurker" wrote ...

They should change the name now...
From Radio Shack to Radio Boutique.

No more bits and pieces, only fashionable electronics..

Seems like they already came close with a mall chain called
"Electronics Boutique".

Anyone remember Tandy's *other* flash in the pan called "Incredible
Universe"?
Old March 22nd 04, 07:01 AM
WShoots1

They've even shut down the parking lot trolley line at their Ft Worth HQ. I
wonder if many people work there anymore?

I'd bet that when a Shack store clerk called for help, he'd get someone in
India or a warehouse foreman somewhere.

Bill.K5BY
Old March 23rd 04, 04:13 AM
Jackie

"Jim" wrote in message

They have to change with the times. In the 70s they sold CB radios
and parts. In the 80s they sold TRS-80 computers and parts. Now
they sell cell phones and parts.

I'm don't propose to be a fortune-teller, but I do work in the legal field,
in bankruptcy and financial workouts in particular, so I am attuned to
keeping an eye on businesses that are barely skimming the underside of
profitablity. I witness numerous businesses go under on a monthly basis.
Hardly any of the Chapter 11 or Chapter 7 filings I witness come as a
surprise to me.

I do not think it a stretch to envision Radio Shack filing under Chapter 11
(or perhaps even Chapter 7) in the not-so-distant future. RS has way too
much competition in the cellular telephone field for it to even think of
itself as a strong player in that field. I doubt very many of us think of
Radio Shack first when considering which cellular plan we should check into,
let alone the place we buy our electrical components, antennas or shortwave
receivers anymore. Radio Shack does no one thing well anymore. They cannot
compete with any other company out there on almost any product they offer.
That does not bode well for the company's future.

Jackie

Old March 24th 04, 08:07 AM
Eric Ferguson

I'm trying to remember the last time I went into a *Shack*. Must have been
over 7-8 months now. And years ago, I actually worked part time in one. They
don't carry anything that *makes* me want to go in. Cutting down on
scanners, Shortwave radios, and the like....Selling goods I can get
elsewhere AND cheaper. Sales people who know a lot less than I do (and I've
forgotten a lot). And to boot, a new Fry's just opened here. (Not that I'm a
great advocate of Fry's, but they *seem* to know a *little* more, but not by
much and carry a whole lot more of the things I'm interested in). Oh
well......

a great read Happy camper CB 1 November 19th 04 02:51 PM
Radio Shack Quitting Parts Business? Howard Homebrew 60 January 16th 04 05:45 PM
Radio Shack Quitting Parts Business? Howard Homebrew 0 November 27th 03 01:08 AM
FS: Knight Kit T-60 Transmitter Parts Unit Larry Johnson Boatanchors 3 November 15th 03 12:45 AM
CCA Parts and Schematics vboyce02 Broadcasting 0 October 3rd 03 04:36 AM