Old March 23rd 04, 01:02 AM
BCcubed

Default SWL: THE NEXT LEVEL

Hello all,

I have been listening for about 9 months now and finally I am starting to feel
comfortable in my knowledge of shortwave and the propagation of international
broadcasts. I use a portable receiver but now want to move to the next level
with a good radio and an active SW antenna. My question is Where can I go to
trade up to a better radio? Are there sites where SWL's have swap type setups?
Can anyone give me advice about getting a used Drake, Kenwood, Yaesu, Icom,
Ten-Tec?? The new radios are nice but 1500$ is a bit too steep at this point.

73,

Neil

Old March 23rd 04, 01:18 AM
Dave Holford

Where are you located?
Some of us might be able to give you local suggestions.

Dave

Old March 23rd 04, 02:00 AM
Brian Hill

You don't need to spend $1500 for a great radio. If you buy used on Ebay or
elsewhere there are several world class rigs for $500 or less . Your ant is
the key to good DX, Why an active ant? No room? There are good active ant.
but if you can string some wire outside thats best. You can have the
greatest radio in the world but without a good ant. you got didly squat! My
point is you can go buy something like i.e. Icom R71 or Kenwood R-2000 for
under $400 or less and get a good ant. setup, Your in biz!

Brian
--
Never under estimate the stimulation of eccentricity.

Brian's Radio Universe
http://webpages.charter.net/brianehill/

Old March 23rd 04, 02:45 AM
The Axelrods

BCcubed wrote:

Hello all,

I have been listening for about 9 months now and finally I am starting to feel
comfortable in my knowledge of shortwave and the propagation of international
broadcasts. I use a portable receiver but now want to move to the next level
with a good radio and an active SW antenna. My question is Where can I go to
trade up to a better radio? Are there sites where SWL's have swap type setups?
Can anyone give me advice about getting a used Drake, Kenwood, Yaesu, Icom,
Ten-Tec?? The new radios are nice but 1500$ is a bit too steep at this point.

73,

Neil

I would recommend:

Drake R8 series

ICOM ICR-70 or 71

All are great radio and sell well used

--
73 and Best of DX
Shawn Axelrod

Visit the AMANDX DX site with info for the new or experienced listener:

http://www.angelfire.com/mb/amandx/index.html

REMEMBER ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN HEAR FOREVER

Old March 23rd 04, 02:48 AM
starman

BCcubed wrote:

Hello all,

I have been listening for about 9 months now and finally I am starting to feel
comfortable in my knowledge of shortwave and the propagation of international
broadcasts. I use a portable receiver but now want to move to the next level
with a good radio and an active SW antenna. My question is Where can I go to
trade up to a better radio? Are there sites where SWL's have swap type setups?
Can anyone give me advice about getting a used Drake, Kenwood, Yaesu, Icom,
Ten-Tec?? The new radios are nice but 1500$ is a bit too steep at this point.

73,

Neil

Ebay will have the best selection of used shortwave receivers but not
necessarily the best prices. You will occasionally see a receiver for
sale on this group. I payed $950 for a three year old R8B which was
posted here. I was lucky to be the first to see it. Have you considered
the Grundig Satellit-800? You can get a factory (Drake) reconditioned
one for about $400. I suggest you monitor the following newsgroup for
used receivers in addition to Ebay.

rec.radio.swap

Old March 23rd 04, 04:00 AM
BCcubed

I don't think that I'll get the best deal on ebay and have you ever bought a
radio on ebay? Ebay should not list radios if people do not understand
shipping.

I want to see the radio before I buy it.

Thanks,

neil
Old March 23rd 04, 04:06 AM
N8KDV

BCcubed wrote:

I don't think that I'll get the best deal on ebay and have you ever bought a
radio on ebay? Ebay should not list radios if people do not understand
shipping.

I want to see the radio before I buy it.

Thanks,

neil

All 3 of the radio's, heck make that 5 with the scanners, were all purchased on
eBay.

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old March 23rd 04, 04:09 AM
Dale Parfitt

"BCcubed" wrote in message
Hello all,

I have been listening for about 9 months now and finally I am starting to

feel
comfortable in my knowledge of shortwave and the propagation of

international
broadcasts. I use a portable receiver but now want to move to the next

level
with a good radio and an active SW antenna. My question is Where can I go

trade up to a better radio? Are there sites where SWL's have swap type

setups?
Can anyone give me advice about getting a used Drake, Kenwood, Yaesu,

Icom,
Ten-Tec?? The new radios are nice but 1500$ is a bit too steep at this

point.

73,

Neil

Grove Enterprises buys and sells used receivers.

You may want to rethink the active antenna route. You can do much better
with wire antennas and spend a lot less $.

Dale W4OP

FA:Texas2Way 4 level Flex Decoder Clifton Turner Scanner 0 September 9th 04 01:10 AM
RRCB Threat Level Elevated to RED King Of Scots CB 2 January 11th 04 03:30 AM
Ground level antenna Peter Shortwave 14 October 15th 03 08:22 PM
Suggest a linear to boost 0.5 watts to 5 watt level. Ashhar Farhan Homebrew 0 September 21st 03 07:52 PM
The technical level of QST increases Len Over 21 Policy 2 August 29th 03 01:10 AM