Old March 27th 04, 09:33 PM
Charles Gillen

Greg wrote:

It's such a solid rig, easy to operate, attractive display.
I'm hoping for a quick fix!

I used to have one, and agree it's a very solid, stable radio. However the
audio was not that great. I find the Icom R75 (new at $450 or so) seems to
have better ergonomics and essentially equal performance... plus on-board
DSP, easy computer control, twin pre-amps, etc. I don't miss my NRD-525 at
all. The Icom is great bang for the buck :^)

--
Anti-Spam address: my last name at his dot com
Charles Gillen -- Reston, Virginia, USA
Old March 28th 04, 04:00 AM
ac-acadaptor

You say the audio was "not that great" . I have an R-75 and would have to
say the audio is horrible. (using the stock speaker).
What do you think of the stock R-75 compared to the 525?

Old March 28th 04, 07:49 AM
Charles Gillen

"ac-acadaptor" wrote:

You say the audio was "not that great" . I have an R-75 and would
have to say the audio is horrible. (using the stock speaker).
What do you think of the stock R-75 compared to the 525?

The 525 also had a tiny speaker like the Icom R75, and in both cases the
speaker is shoehorned into the set as an afterthought for "emergency use"
only; serious listening requires a better external speaker at least 3 to 4
inches diameter.

Even with a good external speaker, the 525 audio still often sounded rather
muffled and unclear. In contrast, the Icom with an external speaker sounds
sharp and punchy, particularly with SSB. Don't forget both these receivers
are for "communications" use, not hi-fi.

No use having a good computer if your CRT is crappy... radio is just the
same :^)

Old March 28th 04, 03:54 PM
ac-acadaptor

I'm with you on the "communications" aspect. I was just curious to hear
your explanation.
The 525 would have been my second choice.

Old March 28th 04, 04:01 PM
Volker Tonn

Charles Gillen schrieb:

Even with a good external speaker, the 525 audio still often sounded rather
muffled and unclear.

As always I recommend an external amplifier connected to the line out.
Very clear sound on a hifi-amp with good speakers or headphones. It's
the bad AF stage "only" on the 525. Sad enough on such a great RX.

--
NRD-525 with serial interface,
PCR-1000 without UT-106

Datong FL2 analog audio filter in series with
Dierking GD 82NF analog audio filter in series with
Kenwood HiFI-amp with integrated equalizer feeding
AKG K-240Monitor headphones or speakers.

Magnetic loop 18-31Mhz remote tuning
Discone 25-1300Mhz,
FD-antenna 40.5mtr
FD-antenna 13.8mtr,