Old March 29th 04, 03:48 AM
Al Arduengo

Default Actual side by side comparison

Has anyone ever done an actual side by side comparison of the
sensitivity capabilities of the more popular portables? I would like
to see actual quantified data concerning the condition of signals for
the ICF-SW7600GR, YB400PE, ATS-909, and any other "player" in the
portable group. It seems that reviews written on a particular model
never seem consistent. One chap will say the 909 has no sensitivity
compared to a Yachtboy 400 while another says the opposite. One
person says the 7600GR has the best tuner while another....well, you
get the picture. It makes it terribly difficult for us newbies to
decide on what route to go. As it is now, I will have to buy a 7600
and re-purchase a YB400 to go along with my 909 just so I can make
sure I am not using marginal equipment. :-]

Anyone know of reviews of this nature?

Best,
-Al
--
~/.signature
Old March 29th 04, 03:53 AM
Jackie

"Al Arduengo" wrote in message

Anyone know of reviews of this nature?

Yep-- this one's right up your alley:

http://www.radiointel.com/portwars.htm

RadioIntel's Grundig YB400PE / Sony ICF-7600G / Sangean ATS-909 "The Endless
Debate", from a guy who has owned all three radios.

Jackie

Old March 29th 04, 04:51 AM
gil

I can give you my own opinion since I had all three of them.
Sensitivity...Do you want to use just the whip antenna?
The Sony 7600 and the YB-400 about equal.
Not so sensitive with the whip is the 909.
Now if you want to stretch a piece of wire out the window, say 30-40
feet...the 909 performed better.
For me, I'm fine with the wire antenna, so the 909 was a keeper, since it
was able to handle a "longer" antenna much better without overloading .
If I wanted to carry a radio with me in my travels, my choice would be the
7600, but since my most of my listening is done either in the shack or while
laying in bed, the 909 with the outdoor wire antenna is the one for me.

Gil

--
Remove NOSPAM to reply

Old March 29th 04, 04:56 AM
Michael

"Jackie" wrote in message

"Al Arduengo" wrote in message

Anyone know of reviews of this nature?

Yep-- this one's right up your alley:

http://www.radiointel.com/portwars.htm

RadioIntel's Grundig YB400PE / Sony ICF-7600G / Sangean ATS-909 "The

Endless
Debate", from a guy who has owned all three radios.

Jackie

Asside from the radiointel link...

I've had both the 7600g and the YB-400. Although I thought the YB-400 had a
little bit better audio quality for sw broadcast, I thought the 7600g was a
much better radio. I can't give you performance numbers because I have no
way to measure it, but the 7600g almost always proved that it was the more
sensitive of the two radios either off the whip or with an external. Also..
When I used a 100 ft external long wire antenna, the 7600g never overloaded.
Not only was it selective, but it was also very stable. The real clincher
was the 7600g's am sb selectable sync detector. It was a great feature
that made program listening better then with the YB-400. The synch on that
radio worked better then the stock sync on my Icom R-75 before I had the
Kiwa mod done on it. I've never used the 909 so I can't comment on it.

Respectfully,

Michael

Old March 29th 04, 01:55 PM
T. Early

[...]

I'm not sure you what you mean by "quantified," but if you're looking
for a wealth of subjective information, you really need to do a
newsgroups search in google for posts from 3-6 years old in this
group. Your question is one of the more hotly discussed here over
time and there are a number of excellent posts and reviews that can't
be easily summarized here. IMO, you would be far better served to
upgrade your 909 antenna-wise (even with an indoor loop) than to chase
any marginal improvements in sensitivity offered by the Sony portable.

Old March 29th 04, 05:05 PM
John Schneider

This link might help regarding radio reviews:

http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/rx_index.html

Good luck.

John, KB2COP
www.geocities.com/theoldcop