Old March 30th 04, 12:01 AM
Soames123

Default - Shades of Tricky Dick

- re runs of the "Checkers Speech" next...

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...te/8305904.htm

Laura Bush defends husband's actions before Sept. 11 attacks

Associated Press

ORLANDO, Fla. - Any suggestion that President Bush didn't take the threat of
terrorism seriously before the Sept. 11 attacks is misguided, his wife, Laura
Bush said Monday.

"If the implication was that my husband in some way does not take his role
seriously, that's just absolutely wrong," Bush told reporters after addressing
a National School Boards Association conference in Orlando.

The actions taken by the Bush White House before Sept. 11 have come under
intense scrutiny since the publication of a book by former White House
counterterrorism chief Richard Clarke, who has criticized the president's
handling of terrorism. Clarke testified last week before a bipartisan
commission investigating the Sept. 11 attacks.

In addition, national security adviser Condoleezza Rice has resisted calls to
testify before the Sept. 11 commission. Commission member John Lehman, a
Republican, called the refusal to testify "a political blunder of the first
order."

The decision could complicate President Bush's re-election campaign, which is
being staked on his response to the Sept. 11 attacks.

Laura Bush said the commission and its investigation shouldn't be politicized.

"It's for us to find out what we can do to make sure it doesn't happen again
and to make sure the people of the United States are safe and secure," Bush
said. "That's the goal of my husband and his administration."

Old March 30th 04, 12:04 AM
N8KDV

Soames123 wrote:

[...]

You'd better check your medication too!

Old March 30th 04, 12:34 AM
m II

N8KDV wrote:

"It's for us to find out what we can do to make sure it doesn't happen again
and to make sure the people of the United States are safe and secure," Bush
said. "That's the goal of my husband and his administration."

You'd better check your medication too!

Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders
of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter
to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship,
or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people
can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you
have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists
for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

I hold the following truths to be self evident. Feel free to deny every
one of them. You know you want to. It's your nature.

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and
hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless
series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

"The government consists of a gang of men exactly like you and me. They
have, taking one with another, no special talent for the business of
government; they have only a talent for getting and holding office.
Their principal device to that end is to search out groups who pant and
pine for something they can't get and to promise to give it to them.
Nine times out of ten that promise is worth nothing. The tenth time is
made good by looting A to satisfy B. In other words, government is a
broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale
of stolen goods."

The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the
urge to rule it.

For every complex problem there is a simple solution... and it is wrong.

After all, all he did was string together a lot of old, well-known
quotations. (On Shakespeare)

Love is the delusion that one woman differs from another.

An idealist is one who, on noticing that roses smell better than a
cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup.

Philosophy consists very largely of one philosopher arguing that all
other philosophers are jackasses. He usually proves it, and I should add
that he also usually proves that he is one himself.

The world always makes the assumption that the exposure of an error is
identical with the discovery of truth—that the error and truth are
simply opposite. They are nothing of the sort. What the world turns to,
when it is cured on one error, is usually simply another error, and
maybe one worse than the first one.

There is only one honest impulse at the bottom of Puritanism, and that
is the impulse to punish the man with a superior capacity for happiness.

Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.

God is the immemorial refuge of the incompetent, the helpless, the
miserable. They find not only sanctuary in His arms, but also a kind of
superiority, soothing to their macerated egos; He will set them above
their betters.

The only good bureaucrat is one with a pistol at his head. Put it in his
hand and it's good-bye to the Bill of Rights.

The New Deal began, like the Salvation Army, by promising to save
humanity. It ended, again like the Salvation Army, by running
flop-houses and disturbing the peace.

Demagogue: one who preaches doctrines he knows to be untrue to men he
knows to be idiots.

No one in this world, so far as I know—and I have researched the records
for years, and employed agents to help me—has ever lost money by
underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain
people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.

Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of
advance auction in stolen goods.

We must respect the other fellow’s religion, but only in the sense and
to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and
his children smart.

And what is a good citizen? Simply one who never says, does or thinks
anything that is unusual. Schools are maintained in order to bring this
uniformity up to the highest possible point. A school is a hopper into
which children are heaved while they are still young and tender; therein
they are pressed into certain standard shapes and covered from head to
heels with official rubber-stamps.

The kind of man who wants the government to adopt and enforce his ideas
is always the kind of man whose ideas are idiotic.

The worst government is the most moral. One composed of cynics is often
very tolerant and humane. But when fanatics are on top there is no limit
to oppression.

All government, in its essence, is organized exploitation, and in
virtually all of its existing forms it is the implacable enemy of every
industrious and well-disposed man.

All I ask is equal freedom. When it is denied, as it always is, I take
it anyhow.

It is the fundamental theory of all the more recent American law...that
the average citizen is half-witted, and hence not to be trusted to
either his own devices or his own thoughts.

The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the
urge to rule it.

To wage a war for a purely moral reason is as absurd as to ravish a
woman for a purely moral reason.

For centuries, theologians have been explaining the unknowable in terms
of the-not-worth-knowing.

The ideal government of reflective men, from Aristotle onward, is one
which lets the individual alone.

Democracy, too, is a religion. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses.

Above quotes by:

H.L. Mencken (1880-1956

http://www.watchfuleye.com/mencken.html
http://www.freedomsnest.com/qmencken.html
httphttp://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/H._L._Mencken
http://www.fightthebias.com/Quotes/mencken.htm

mike

--

__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __
/ /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /

..let the cat out to reply..
Old March 30th 04, 02:01 AM
T. Early

"Soames123" wrote in message
- re runs of the "Checkers Speech" next...

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...te/8305904.htm

Laura Bush defends husband's actions before Sept. 11 attacks

Associated Press

I'm having a particularly dense day, so forgive me. But what does
this have to do with Nixon or Checkers?

I also love the fact that there is a quote strongly questioning Rice's
decision not to testify, which really has nothing to do with the
article, but no explanation of why she has chosen not to, or any note
of the fact that she's already provided information, as have others in
the Administration. Nah, no media bias there.

Whoops, I forget the Miami Herald is owned by that bastion of
conservatism, the Washington Post.

Old March 30th 04, 02:30 AM
Mark S. Holden

T. Early wrote:

"Soames123" wrote in message

- re runs of the "Checkers Speech" next...

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...te/8305904.htm

Laura Bush defends husband's actions before Sept. 11 attacks

Associated Press

I'm having a particularly dense day, so forgive me. But what does
this have to do with Nixon or Checkers?

I also love the fact that there is a quote strongly questioning Rice's
decision not to testify, which really has nothing to do with the
article, but no explanation of why she has chosen not to, or any note
of the fact that she's already provided information, as have others in
the Administration. Nah, no media bias there.

Whoops, I forget the Miami Herald is owned by that bastion of
conservatism, the Washington Post.

I was also wondering about the "Checkers Speech" tie in.

The poster is the same person who thought the guy making racist comments
about Dr. Rice was a "typical Bush supporter".

Old March 30th 04, 03:20 AM
Soames123

Subject: - Shades of Tricky Dick
From: "T. Early"
Date: 3/29/2004 8:01 PM Eastern Standard Time

"Soames123" wrote in message
- re runs of the "Checkers Speech" next...

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...te/8305904.htm

Laura Bush defends husband's actions before Sept. 11 attacks

Associated Press

I'm having a particularly dense day, so forgive me. But what does
this have to do with Nixon or Checkers?

Trying for Public sympathy to obscure a problem...

Old March 30th 04, 03:59 AM
Mark S. Holden

From: "T. Early"
Date: 3/29/2004 8:01 PM Eastern Standard Time

"Soames123" wrote in message

- re runs of the "Checkers Speech" next...

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...te/8305904.htm

Laura Bush defends husband's actions before Sept. 11 attacks

Associated Press

I'm having a particularly dense day, so forgive me. But what does
this have to do with Nixon or Checkers?

Trying for Public sympathy to obscure a problem...

What in the quotes from her lead you to feel she was trying for public
sympathy?

Old March 30th 04, 04:24 AM
m II

Frank White wrote:

I misread the subject line as "Shades of Dick Tracy". And
spent the whole post waiting for some mention of magnetic
space coups or two wrist radio/tvs.

Same here. I even mistook Rice for PruneFace

mike

--

__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __
/ /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /

..let the cat out to reply..
Old March 30th 04, 05:04 AM
T. Early

"m II" wrote in message
newsL5ac.30843$Ct5.14948@edtnps89...
Frank White wrote:

I misread the subject line as "Shades of Dick Tracy". And
spent the whole post waiting for some mention of magnetic
space coups or two wrist radio/tvs.

Same here. I even mistook Rice for PruneFace

Ok, -that's- pretty funny. Consider quitting while you're ahead

The Honorable DICK BASH whoever Policy 0 December 24th 04 03:35 AM
i confess Steveo CB 18 December 15th 04 05:20 AM
kc8ldo flipped,,,,7 days of posts, all about "Twistedhed" Twistedhed CB 4 April 7th 04 05:39 AM
gayboy twathed sucks dick! AntiKeyclown CB 0 December 1st 03 05:07 PM