Old April 1st 04, 02:47 AM
Tony

Default Who makes the smallest pocket SW receiver with SSB?

Looking for a micro portable with full SW coverage and SSB, about the size
of a
Grundig 100pe, asking too much???

Regards,

Old April 1st 04, 04:54 AM
T. Early

"Tony" wrote in message
Looking for a micro portable with full SW coverage and SSB, about

the size
of a
Grundig 100pe, asking too much???

Regards,

Well, both the Sony SW100S and SW-07 fill the bill, but at a fairly
hefty price tag for a portable. The latter was recently discontinued
here but show up on EBay. I'm not sure about the former, but there's
used ones around.

Old April 1st 04, 09:49 AM
Ron Hardin

T. Early wrote:

"Tony" wrote in message
..
Looking for a micro portable with full SW coverage and SSB, about

the size
of a
Grundig 100pe, asking too much???

Regards,

Well, both the Sony SW100S and SW-07 fill the bill, but at a fairly
hefty price tag for a portable. The latter was recently discontinued
here but show up on EBay. I'm not sure about the former, but there's
used ones around.

The SW100 has microphonics that might put you off. You don't get a
note on CW but a splatter of tone unless the volume is really low
and nothing is vibrating even slightly. It takes maybe 30 seconds to
settle down to a tone even then.
--
Ron Hardin

Old April 2nd 04, 04:39 AM
Al Patrick

I wasn't familiar with this radio. There is an interesting review -
with photo - at:

http://www.rnw.nl/realradio/vr500.html

Al

Old April 2nd 04, 05:08 AM
DougSlug

I agree with the main points of the review regarding HF use (not that good),
plus I'd add that the audio with the built-in speaker is terrible. The
VR-500 is probably not the best choice for SWL, but it definitely is one
very compact unit.