Old April 2nd 04, 01:20 AM
DougSlug

Default Yaesu VR-5000 vs. AOR AR8600MkII

I've studied the manufacturers' literature, now I'm looking for user
feedback regarding the more subjective differences between the Yaesu VR-5000
and the AOR AR8600MkII. Both are similarly-featured compact DC-to-daylight
receivers...is there a clear winner irrespective of price?

- Doug

Old April 2nd 04, 01:29 AM
CitizenSnips

"DougSlug" wrote in message
et...
I've studied the manufacturers' literature, now I'm looking for user
feedback regarding the more subjective differences between the Yaesu

VR-5000
and the AOR AR8600MkII. Both are similarly-featured compact

DC-to-daylight
receivers...is there a clear winner irrespective of price?

- Doug

Having owned both radios I'd say the AOR is by far the better radio
regarding build quality and sensitivity.
The nice LCD on the Yaesu is tempting and it's flashy etc but the AOR beats
it hands down.
The AOR hasn't any software bugs either.
Just my opinion.

---

Old April 2nd 04, 01:32 AM

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 00:20:56 GMT, "DougSlug"
disturbed the phosphur particles on my screen with the following:

I've studied the manufacturers' literature, now I'm looking for user
feedback regarding the more subjective differences between the Yaesu VR-5000
and the AOR AR8600MkII. Both are similarly-featured compact DC-to-daylight
receivers...is there a clear winner irrespective of price?

- Doug

I found the plastic packing bubbles in the Yaesu VR-5000 were of
higher quality than the cheap plastic peanuts used with the AR8600.

Old April 2nd 04, 02:36 AM
ac-acadaptor

For the difference in price and the fact that the AOR doesn't have a
real-time bandscope, I chose the VR-5000 and have never looked back. What
bugs? Mine doesn't exhibit any peculiarities. If CONTROLLING the radio via
computer is important, pass up the VR as all you can do is up/down load
frequencies...

et...

Old April 2nd 04, 05:20 PM
Browning Mark FourA

AOR = JUNK

+4db +2db 0db +2db +4db

noise............................................. ..Signal

wrote:

I've studied the manufacturers' literature, now I'm looking for user
feedback regarding the more subjective differences between the Yaesu VR-5000
and the AOR AR8600MkII. Both are similarly-featured compact DC-to-daylight
receivers...is there a clear winner irrespective of price?

- Doug

remove SPAMSUCKS to reply

Old April 2nd 04, 09:18 PM
ac-acadaptor

A=Another O=Overpriced R=Radio

"Browning Mark FourA" wrote in message
AOR = JUNK

+4db +2db 0db +2db +4db

noise............................................. ..Signal

Old April 3rd 04, 12:19 AM
Troy R.

Difference in price???

The VR-5000 suffered a major drop in price because it would not sell due to
the many and varied technical issues with it.

Strangely enough that was never an issue with AR-8600

"ac-acadaptor" wrote in message
k.net...
For the difference in price and the fact that the AOR doesn't have a
real-time bandscope, I chose the VR-5000 and have never looked back. What
bugs? Mine doesn't exhibit any peculiarities. If CONTROLLING the radio

via
computer is important, pass up the VR as all you can do is up/down load
frequencies...

et...

Old April 3rd 04, 01:03 PM
big boy now

i have owned the yaesu VR5000 and it had the DSP 1 fitted..
i paid £650 for the VR5000 new i owned it for 3 months then sold it and lost
over £250 on what i paid new...

i then decided to go out and pay for the best i could afford what did i buy.
a new model AOR AR5000A+3 with the New SDU5600 spectrum display unit this
lot cost me near £3000..

now my opinion of the Yaesu VR5000 after owning a real receiver for a couple
of months well not much i should have got the AOR to start with......

Yaesu radio equipment is supposed to be one of the best makes in the modern
world today......well the VR5000 isn't i would not touch another what a
waist of my hard earned cash load of crap i don't know how yaesu can get
away with selling such crap the VR5000 isn't doing there reputation much
good.....

i buy and sell second hand receivers and have done for about the last year i
have had many many models almost every realistic scanner.
well the performance of the realistic scanners puts the VR5000 to shame

Go for the AOR much better scanner.....
were i buy and sell scanners. i would not buy another VR5000 as they are
total crap not worth the hassle i would not pay more than £50 to £60 for
one......save you money go buy the AOR..

look in SW magazine at the read up on the VR5000 totally puts the VR5000
down.....

John

ink.net...