Old April 3rd 04, 09:58 AM
John Plimmer

Default AFRTS Pearl Harbour

10320 Khz AFRTS Pearl Harbour received at this QTH @ 0500 Zulu with clear
ID.
Quite unusual, as this 3 Kw TX is 18,500 kilometers from here (11,500 miles)
and both the short and long path lies over the poles and the auroral belt.
At this time of the year the signal gets a greyline boost,
as it is sunset in Hawaii and sunrise in Montagu.

South 33 d 47 m 540 s, East 20 d 07 m 541 s.
RX Drake R8B, SW8
BW XCR 30, Braun T1000, Sangean 818 & 803A.
Hallicrafters SX-100, Eddystone 940
GE circa 50's radiogram
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop

Old April 3rd 04, 10:23 AM
GO BEARCATS

10320 Khz AFRTS Pearl Harbour received at this QTH @ 0500 Zulu with clear
ID.
Quite unusual, as this 3 Kw TX is 18,500 kilometers from here (11,500 miles)
and both the short and long path lies over the poles and the auroral belt.
At this time of the year the signal gets a greyline boost,
as it is sunset in Hawaii and sunrise in Montagu.

South 33 d 47 m 540 s, East 20 d 07 m 541 s.
RX Drake R8B, SW8
BW XCR 30, Braun T1000, Sangean 818 & 803A.
Hallicrafters SX-100, Eddystone 940
GE circa 50's radiogram
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop

That's a heckuva catch huh? I catch that at my QTH in Cincinnati,
Ohio.....matter of fact I posted that in the last week.

What receiver/receivers did you use and what antenna John?

I wonder how far that is for me. {?}

~*~*Monitoring The AirWaves~*~
*****GO BEARCATS*****
Hammarlund HQ129X /Heathkit Q Multiplier
Hammarlund HQ140X
Multiple GE P-780's(GREAT BCB Radios)
RCA Victor *Strato- World*
RCA Victor RJC77W-K(Walnut Grain)
1942 Zenith Wave Magnet 6G 601M
Cathedral/ Ross#2311/Rhapsody-MultiBand
DX100/394/398/399/402
OMGS Transistor Eight/Realistic 12-1451
Henry Kloss Model One/Bell+Howell
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Alpha Delta DX Sloper 57ft.
600ft. 12AWG. (non-terminated)
120ft. 12 AWG Sloper
2 Radio Shack Loop Antennas
Radio Shack Amplified Antenna
30X30 DiamondLoop(six section 830pf Cap)
* Diamond Loop mounted to Lazy Susan TurnTable*

Old April 3rd 04, 10:37 AM
Sanjaya

"GO BEARCATS" wrote...
I wonder how far that is for me. {?}

Try http://www.indo.com/distance
Honolulu to Cincinnati 4434 miles (7137 km)

Old April 3rd 04, 02:21 PM
N8KDV

John Plimmer wrote:

10320 Khz AFRTS Pearl Harbour received at this QTH @ 0500 Zulu with clear
ID.
Quite unusual, as this 3 Kw TX is 18,500 kilometers from here (11,500 miles)
and both the short and long path lies over the poles and the auroral belt.
At this time of the year the signal gets a greyline boost,
as it is sunset in Hawaii and sunrise in Montagu.

Currently being heard here at 1320 on 10320. About S5 on the R8B.

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old April 3rd 04, 02:28 PM
N8KDV

John Plimmer wrote:

10320 Khz AFRTS Pearl Harbour received at this QTH @ 0500 Zulu with clear
ID.
Quite unusual, as this 3 Kw TX is 18,500 kilometers from here (11,500 miles)
and both the short and long path lies over the poles and the auroral belt.
At this time of the year the signal gets a greyline boost,
as it is sunset in Hawaii and sunrise in Montagu.

Are you able to hear AFN on 12579 or 4319 from Diego Garcia? Are they still
active on either of those two frequencies?

I've not seen any reports of them there for a very long time.

Old April 3rd 04, 06:53 PM
John Plimmer

RX is disconnected at the moment due to severe tropical thunderstorms.
Previously tried all the AFRTS frequencies but have not had Garcia.
Sometimes get Guam
Will check again when conditions improve and let you know.

Old April 3rd 04, 09:20 PM
John Plimmer

Thanks for that
RX is Drake R8B and antenna is RF Systems DX1 Pro

Also got a 250 watt MW station Radio Jacuipe, Bahia, Brazil, on my Kiwa MW
Loop.
That was 3,800 miles from the DX QTH

Old April 3rd 04, 09:44 PM
Burr

I can "Never" get ANY AFRTS

Burp

N8KDV wrote:

John Plimmer wrote:

RX is disconnected at the moment due to severe tropical thunderstorms.
Previously tried all the AFRTS frequencies but have not had Garcia.
Sometimes get Guam
Will check again when conditions improve and let you know.

Thanks!

Armed Forces Radio & Television Service (AFRTS) William Anderson Broadcasting 1 October 20th 04 03:45 AM
Technical Question: WBCQ Vs. AFRTS Sidchase3 Shortwave 5 January 19th 04 07:02 AM
AFRTS in Italy? S Shortwave 5 December 29th 03 08:17 AM
Coffs Harbour and district ARC webpage updated Axle Jack General 0 November 1st 03 10:57 PM
Hurricane Juan at Halifax Coast Guard and Harbour Nova Scotia Robert Maskill Shortwave 9 October 7th 03 03:34 PM