Old April 4th 04, 05:08 PM
Thibideaux

Default One All-Star Radio

If you wanted to downsize and buy just one radio to meet all of your needs -
SWLing, AM/FM, vhf/uhf receiver, and amateur radio transmitting (all
bands) - portability and ease of operation in emergency situations - what
radio would you buy?

Old April 4th 04, 05:17 PM
Diverd4777

In article , "Thibideaux"
writes:

If you wanted to downsize and buy just one radio to meet all of your needs -
SWLing, AM/FM, vhf/uhf receiver, and amateur radio transmitting (all
bands) - portability and ease of operation in emergency situations - what
radio would you buy?

Transmitter too or just receiver.. ?

Old April 4th 04, 05:19 PM
Volker Tonn

Thibideaux schrieb:

If you wanted to downsize and buy just one radio to meet all of your needs -
SWLing, AM/FM, vhf/uhf receiver, and amateur radio transmitting (all
bands) - portability and ease of operation in emergency situations - what
radio would you buy?

There is some real nice equipment from Rhode&Schwarz.
But I recommend TX and RX seperated.

Old April 4th 04, 05:35 PM
Stephen M.H. Lawrence

"Thibideaux" wrote in message
| If you wanted to downsize and buy just one radio to meet all of your
needs -
| SWLing, AM/FM, vhf/uhf receiver, and amateur radio transmitting (all
| bands) - portability and ease of operation in emergency situations - what
| radio would you buy?

The ICOM 706 MkIIG.

Right here, dude:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/3450.html

73,

Steve Lawrence
KA0PMD

---

Old April 4th 04, 07:43 PM
Jackie

The ICOM 706 MkIIG.

Seconded. This is one do-it-all rig in a small package!

jackie

Old April 4th 04, 10:03 PM
CitizenSnips

"Jackie" wrote in message
The ICOM 706 MkIIG.

Seconded. This is one do-it-all rig in a small package!

jackie

Looks awesome, if it incorporated a wider range receiver say up to 2GHz it'd
be perfect.
Any in depth reviews on this radio?

---

Old April 5th 04, 05:00 AM
Gary

"Stephen M.H. Lawrence" wrote in message hlink.net...
"Thibideaux" wrote in message
| If you wanted to downsize and buy just one radio to meet all of your
needs -
| SWLing, AM/FM, vhf/uhf receiver, and amateur radio transmitting (all
| bands) - portability and ease of operation in emergency situations - what
| radio would you buy?

The ICOM 706 MkIIG.

Right here, dude:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/3450.html

73,

Steve Lawrence
KA0PMD

Nice, but doesn't fit his needs as he said AM/FM also, and I assume he
means the broadcast MW and FM bands.
Old April 6th 04, 12:30 AM
Thibideaux

Yes, AM/FM local radio recieve, tri-band transmit (2m, 440, hf), vhf/uhf
receive (preferably 800 mhz as well) shortwave broadcast reception, and wx
etc...I am liking the Yaesu VX-7R - it has everything except hf transmit.
The 706 looks great but does it rec local am/fm?

My goal is to downsize my desk (mucho radios) to be able to take my stuff in
one case or backpack if I have to evacuate all of a sudden. Had that happen
once in a hurricane and it was not a good feeling having to leave my best
radios behind. I said 'one radio' which would be nice, but being practical,
I would take more than one if I had to leave my homestead - couldn't live
without the trunktracker, of course. And, as of yet, I don't see anyone
coming out with a King Tut radio that does it all, so I would downsize to
just what would be comfortable enough to carry. I am also liking the
backpack system for the 706...very portable and versatile. Thanks for the
comments...'

om...

Old April 7th 04, 05:14 AM
LW

"Stephen M.H. Lawrence" wrote ...

The ICOM 706 MkIIG.

Right here, dude:

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/3450.html

Excellent call, Bro. Lawrence. Fannnnn-tastic radio. There's been
rumors of a 706 PRO with color display but that was a year or 2 ago.

Add a good external speaker and the receive audio improves IMMENSELY.
Slightly increase the opening in the rubber "gasket" over the mic
element, and transmit audio gets a tremendous improvement, also.
Slightly, I said. Make it 1/16" total diameter. That's all.

And http://www.mods.dk has some .. ahem .. interesting .. ahem ..
revisions you can make to the radio. (Proceed at YOUR OWN risk.)