Old April 4th 04, 05:17 PM
Mike Terry

Default Swiss Radio International

Swiss Radio International are ending English broadcasts on 12th April. Rest
of A04 season will have music in place of English language broadcasts.

Announcer Isabel (surname unclear- Rivone?) stated on 3rd April that the
English service is ending broadcasts on April 12th. Something along the
lines of:

"Here is a special station announcement. It is the end of an era at SRI.
After 70 years on air Monday 12th April will be the last English broadcast.
We will continue to play music until October (i.e during the English slots
on the A04 schedule). On behalf of everyone at SRI I would like to take the
opportunity to thank all listeners for tuning in over the years. Hope you
continue to keep in touch with Switzerland via the Swiss info website:
www.swissinfo.org ."

(1950 UTC, 13645 KHz, SIO 333 3rd April 2004)

(Chris Brand, BDXC)

Old April 5th 04, 01:08 AM
starman

Mike Terry wrote:

Swiss Radio International are ending English broadcasts on 12th April. Rest
of A04 season will have music in place of English language broadcasts.

Announcer Isabel (surname unclear- Rivone?) stated on 3rd April that the
English service is ending broadcasts on April 12th.

What reasons has SRI given for discontinuing the English service?

Old April 5th 04, 07:36 AM
Mike Terry

I don't know, have emailed the station to ask.

I have listened to them since 1964 and its a very sad decision.

Mike

Old April 5th 04, 09:14 PM
Harris

Mike Terry wrote:
Swiss Radio International are ending English broadcasts on 12th April. Rest
of A04 season will have music in place of English language broadcasts.

Announcer Isabel (surname unclear- Rivone?) stated on 3rd April that the
English service is ending broadcasts on April 12th. Something along the
lines of:

"Here is a special station announcement. It is the end of an era at SRI.
After 70 years on air Monday 12th April will be the last English broadcast.
We will continue to play music until October (i.e during the English slots
on the A04 schedule). On behalf of everyone at SRI I would like to take the
opportunity to thank all listeners for tuning in over the years. Hope you
continue to keep in touch with Switzerland via the Swiss info website:
www.swissinfo.org ."

Yep, I heard it over the weekend. Another one bites the dust. I always
liked SRI, and will miss them. I think we're seeing a snowball effect. As
more SW broadcasters cut back, the remaining ones start to think they
should too.

Art Harris N2AHX

Old April 6th 04, 09:11 AM
Mike Terry

Each transmission until close down of the English language
service on Monday 12th April there will be some historic
recordings of the station. On 5th April they had a recording
of Louis Armstrong from a show in 1955.

(Nick Sharpe, UK, World DX Club email list)

Old April 7th 04, 11:36 AM
Rene Tschaggelar

Harris wrote:

Mike Terry wrote:

[...]

While the technology is outdated by the internet, running the
transmitter is not free in terms of staff and equipment and the
govt had to fund it. Since the govt is under pressure to reduce
cost on all places ...

Rene