Old April 5th 04, 02:38 AM
tommyknocker

Default Shortwave's decline over past five years

I was just thinking about this today. Has anybody noticed that shortwave
radio has really declined over the past five years or so? We've lost BBC
and Deutsche Welle transmissions to North America, we've lost several
smaller European broadcasters entirely, other stations have drastically
cut back. Are transmitting facilities really going on the blink so soon
after the end of the cold war? Or has everybody jumped on the BBC's
bandwagon and concluded that satellite and internet broadcasting has
replaced shortwave? Any thoughts?

Old April 5th 04, 02:59 AM
Dan

In article ,
tommyknocker wrote:

I was just thinking about this today. Has anybody noticed that shortwave
radio has really declined over the past five years or so? We've lost BBC
and Deutsche Welle transmissions to North America, we've lost several
smaller European broadcasters entirely, other stations have drastically
cut back. Are transmitting facilities really going on the blink so soon
after the end of the cold war? Or has everybody jumped on the BBC's
bandwagon and concluded that satellite and internet broadcasting has
replaced shortwave? Any thoughts?

Well, BBC is still available on 5975. I'm listening to it right now,
20 over 9 here.

But yes, satellite and internet are going to replace shortwave. It's
inevitable. BBC is available on many cable TV systems already.
Noisy, static filled, fading, garbled shortwave is about as interesting
to today's digital satellite TV watching, MP3 player toting, cable modem
equipped PC "digital consumer" as smoke signals were to us 40 years ago.
I myself sometimes stream BBC over my cable modem. It's the only way I
listen to Australia.

It may seem a sad state of affairs to us, but the day is surely coming
when all you will hear on a shortwave radio is static.

Dan

Drake R8, Radio Shack DX-440,
Grundig Satellit 650, Satellit 700, YB400
Tecsun PL-230 (YB550PE), Kaito KA1102
Hallicraters S-120 (1962)
Zenith black dial 5 tube Tombstone (1937)
E. H. Scott 23 tube Imperial Allwave in Tasman cabinet (1936)
Old April 5th 04, 03:15 AM
Diverd4777

In article , Dan
writes:

But yes, satellite and internet are going to replace shortwave. It's
inevitable.

- Possibly in 50 - 100 years..

Old April 5th 04, 07:02 AM
WShoots1

There are several problems with Internet and satellite "shortwave:"

* Limited listener access.
* Impractical surfing for every broadcaster in a given time period.
* Limited originators of broadcasts.
* Etc.

On the other hand, the number of people who can listen to shortwave is the
number of receivers in the readable signal area times the number of people
listening to the receivers. Or something like that.

Certainly shortwave broadcasting should continue to serve third world
countries.

I wish Venezuela had a government shortwave station on the air.

Bill, K5BY
Old April 6th 04, 02:12 AM
m II

WShoots1 wrote:

Certainly shortwave broadcasting should continue to serve third world
countries.

I wish Venezuela had a government shortwave station on the air.

I think The States will be attacking there via Columbia very shortly.
Venezuela is the fifth largest producer of oil in the world. Bush is
trying to tie the Spain bombings to Venezuelan funding. With his record
of dishonesty, not many will believe him .

mike

Old April 5th 04, 06:19 PM
Dan

In article ,
David wrote:

More like ''now''.

Good point. Stations *are* disappearing "now".

Old April 5th 04, 04:40 AM
tommyknocker

Dan wrote:

In article ,
tommyknocker wrote:

[...]

It seems that the "new media" is all about the "digital consumer"
getting exactly what he or she wants and nothing else. The downside to
this is that one can filter out (or have filtered out for them) all the
information one does not want to hear, so one's worldview is shaped
according to one's preconceived notions. This makes the digital consumer
think that everybody agrees with them, or that the only people who
matter are the people who agree with them. For people who are already
inclined to philosophical extremism this makes them more extreme, and it
makes the rest extreme. This means that reasoned, informed discourse in
society-fed by a diversity of sources-is probably a thing of the past,
something that is disturbing for the future of democracy and of
international relations. Fox News and Al Jazeera are two good
examples-one is watched by American policy makers to the exclusion of
anything else, and the other is watched by those who wish to overthrow
the West to the exclusion of anything else. Thus, they think that only
they are right and demand that everybody else agree with them-or else.

Old April 5th 04, 05:36 AM
Paul_Morphy

"tommyknocker" wrote in message

It seems that the "new media" is all about the "digital consumer"
getting exactly what he or she wants and nothing else. The downside to
this is that one can filter out (or have filtered out for them) all the
information one does not want to hear, so one's worldview is shaped
according to one's preconceived notions. This makes the digital consumer
think that everybody agrees with them, or that the only people who
matter are the people who agree with them.

I agree with you, but I don't think that aspect of human nature has changed
since the SWBC boom in the 1960s. Since TV at least, SWLing has not been
overly popular in the U.S. I doubt that many people formed political
opinions based on what they heard on the SW bands. Those who did probably
still seek out alternative sources for new on the Internet or elsewhere.

The Richard Clarke book is a case in point. Although it is selling well, it
is not changing many peoples' minds about the role of the government before
and after 9/11. People who were inclined to think the government failed find
support in the book, but people who think the government is doing a fine job
don't believe it.

I do miss the old days, though. There was nothing so enervating as listening
to R. Tirana, when Albania hated everybody. And the jazz on R. Moscow was
superb. You know what kinds of Americans they were trying to entice. I also
miss the CW on the marine bands; "reading the mail" was a pleasant
diversion, and you could pretend you were on a rocking ship somewhere far
away.

"PM"

Already 4 years ! Thierry Antenna 4 October 4th 04 05:16 AM
Already 4 years ! Thierry Dx 6 October 1st 04 07:40 AM
Already 4 years ! Thierry Dx 0 September 30th 04 12:23 PM
Ohio/Penn DX Bulletin #649 Tedd Mirgliotta Dx 0 February 22nd 04 09:15 PM
Ohio/Penn DX Bulletin #649 Tedd Mirgliotta Dx 0 February 22nd 04 09:15 PM