Old April 5th 04, 04:58 PM
Al Arduengo

Default (repost) broomstick antenna success?

Sorry if this a repost. I think the original post failed.

I just completed an attempt at construction of the "broomstick" antenna,
the plans for which were found on the internet. I used a 84" x 1.5"
pole, a 14" aluminum pie pan, approximately 100' of 14/2 solid household
wire. I followed the instructions as closely as possible in the
construction. To my dismay the contraption provided absolutely *no*
increase in signal strength that I could discern. Before I call this a
flop I wanted to ask a few questions of the group:

1. Has anyone else built one and found it to work?
2. Does it really matter if the wire turns are actually touching each
other or can the be spread by up to 0.5"?
3. As much as I hate to show my lack of antenna theory knowledge, does
the type of wire covering matter? The instructions said to use 16 PVC
covered wire but I could not find this description on the available wire
at my Home Depot.
4. I made contact with the wire to the aluminum disk by stripping 1" of
the end and wrapping it round a nail between the pan and the end of the
stick such that when the nail was driven in it pressed the disk against
the bare conductor. Is this valid?
5. Does it actually matter if the feed line is connected to the whip or
the external antenna jack of the receiver?
6. How much wire should I use ideally? As much as I can fit on the
pole? Enough for a quarter wave at 5MHz?
7. I have to assume that the benefit of this sort of antenna must be
only nominal since if it worked as well as a stright wire, it would be
more widely used. How much of an increase in received signal strength
should I expect?

It took me the better part of a day to gather the supplies and construct
it so I hesitate to let the project go until I hear from experienced
users that it is not worth it. I welcome any suggestions or critique.

Best,
-Al A.
Old April 5th 04, 07:34 PM
Mark S. Holden

Al Arduengo wrote:

[...]

This sort of question seems to get asked a few times a year. You can check the archives on Google for more complete responses, but the upshot is your experience sounds typical.

If you tell us what you're looking for in an antenna, and what you have to work with (can you use an outdoor antenna?) odds are some of the participants will be able to suggest something you can build that will perform better for you.
Old April 5th 04, 08:57 PM
Yodar

I failed too, and in my disgust I erected my first SLINKY, and each
iteration afterwards has been a noticeable improvement...My current
slinky spacing is probably 10 times the spacing on a broomstick and tho
the writers say it's resonant at 7.2 Mhz, my GOES TO TOWN on the 31
meter band

I'm really happy with it

Yodar

Old April 5th 04, 10:27 PM
Al Arduengo

Al Arduengo wrote:

Sorry if this a repost. I think the original post failed.

I just completed an attempt at construction of the "broomstick" antenna,
the plans for which were found on the internet. I used a 84" x 1.5"
pole, a 14" aluminum pie pan, approximately 100' of 14/2 solid household
wire. I followed the instructions as closely as possible in the
construction. To my dismay the contraption provided absolutely *no*
increase in signal strength that I could discern. Before I call this a
flop I wanted to ask a few questions of the group:

Best,
-Al A.

Would you mind sharing your slinky design with me? Is it inside your
listening structure or outside?

Thanks!
Old April 6th 04, 01:08 AM
RHF

AA,

Here is a Reading List that is focused on the BroomStick Antenna:

Concerning the BroomStick Antenna = Less Wire and Better Results
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/799

Short STACKED Vertical {Tri-Band} BroomStick Antenna
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/755

ABOUT - The BroomStick Antenna
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/575

Tri-Band "BroomStick" Antenna
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/420

Understanding the "BroomStick" Antenna and its Coil
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/415
..
..
REMEMBER: "The AM/MW and Shortwave Antenna is 55.5% . . .
of the Radio/Receiver and Antenna/Ground Reception Equation"
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/288
A Shortwave Antenna is "Equally" Important for Good Reception [.]
..
..
iane ~ RHF
..
Some Say: On A Clear Day You Can See Forever.
I BELIEVE: On A Clear Night...
You Can Hear Forever and Beyond - The Beyond !
..
..
= = = Al Arduengo wrote in message
= = = ...
[...]

broom stick - broomstick - broomstik - broom stick - broomstick - broomstik