Old April 7th 04, 07:25 AM
starman

Dan wrote:

In article ,
"Brenda Ann Dyer" wrote:

Maybe not so big of a problem here.. I'm actually in Asia to start with, and
only a few hundred miles from either Tokyo or Beijing/Hong Kong/Taipei...

Ah yes, I see. I wasn't reading your headers! Yes, you should be
able to find one. Let us know the price if you do!

Dan

Check the AC power requirements. The Ham-2000 may not operate on 120-V
AC.

Old April 7th 04, 07:29 AM
Brenda Ann Dyer

"starman" wrote in message
Dan wrote:

In article ,
"Brenda Ann Dyer" wrote:

Maybe not so big of a problem here.. I'm actually in Asia to start

with, and
only a few hundred miles from either Tokyo or Beijing/Hong

Kong/Taipei...

Ah yes, I see. I wasn't reading your headers! Yes, you should be
able to find one. Let us know the price if you do!

Dan

Check the AC power requirements. The Ham-2000 may not operate on 120-V
AC.

Neither does the Sat 800.. they both run from DC supplies that drop it down
to 9 VDC. I'm pretty sure that those supplies are univolt.

Old April 7th 04, 10:48 PM
Brian Hill

"Brenda Ann Dyer" wrote in message

"Brian Hill" wrote in message

"Brenda Ann Dyer" wrote in message Yep... known

it
for quite a while.. I figure I can pick one up for a lot
less than paying for that Grundig badge..

So how much are these compared to the 800?

That's what I'm still trying to find out.. if the difference is similar to
that of other Tecsun OEM radios and their Grundig badged counterparts, it
should be around $300 or less..

That would be cool if you could get one for a good price. Good luck and let
us know.

--
73 Brian
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant

Brian's Radio Universe
http://webpages.charter.net/brianehill/

Old April 8th 04, 04:24 AM
B Banton

"Brian Hill" wrote in message

"Brenda Ann Dyer" wrote in message Yep... known

it
for quite a while.. I figure I can pick one up for a lot
less than paying for that Grundig badge..

So how much are these compared to the 800?

That's what I'm still trying to find out.. if the difference is similar to
that of other Tecsun OEM radios and their Grundig badged counterparts, it
should be around $300 or less..

That would be cool if you could get one for a good price. Good luck and let
us know.

The Sat 800 is a poor quality radio. Consider that in your purchase.
Old April 8th 04, 08:54 AM
starman

Brian Hill wrote:

That would be cool if you could get one for a good price. Good luck and let
us know.

The latest issue of the 'Heartland America' catalog is selling the
factory (Drake) refurbished Sat-800 for $350.

http://www.heartlandamerica.com/

Old April 8th 04, 09:05 AM
starman

starman wrote:

Brian Hill wrote:

That would be cool if you could get one for a good price. Good luck and let
us know.

The latest issue of the 'Heartland America' catalog is selling the
factory (Drake) refurbished Sat-800 for $350.

http://www.heartlandamerica.com/

Sat-800 URL is:

http://www.heartlandamerica.com/item...asp?SKU=95441#

Old April 8th 04, 01:04 PM
B Banton

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 05:36:34 GMT, Burr wrote:

I personally think it's great!!!!

It boggles the mind!!
Old April 8th 04, 06:33 PM
Al Arduengo

B Banton wrote:
On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 16:48:12 -0500, "Brian Hill"
wrote:

snip

for quite a while.. I figure I can pick one up for a lot

less than paying for that Grundig badge..

So how much are these compared to the 800?

That's what I'm still trying to find out.. if the difference is similar to
that of other Tecsun OEM radios and their Grundig badged counterparts, it
should be around $300 or less..

That would be cool if you could get one for a good price. Good luck and let
us know.

The Sat 800 is a poor quality radio. Consider that in your purchase.

Could you elaborate on why? I have not yet found a review claiming a
bad experience. I ask because I am saving my lunch money for one of
these beasties and would hate to be disappointed.

-Al
Old April 8th 04, 08:14 PM
Jim Hackett

You are obviously NOT looking very hard. There are plenty of people with
bad experiences. If you are lucky enough to get a good one (I did) you will
probably love it.

"Al Arduengo" wrote in message
B Banton wrote:
On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 16:48:12 -0500, "Brian Hill"

snip

Old April 8th 04, 09:05 PM
Michael Bryant

Sat 800 Problems:

1. Obviously a good receiver for program listening, but not sensitive enough
for anything approaching DX.

2. Gigantic size and weight makes it unwieldy.

3. Bandscanning hampered by digital hash from the display.

4. Low-level AC hum in audio overwhelms DX.

5. Requires 6 D batteries and will drain them in three hours.

I've ended up listening to my DX398 more than the SAT800. Much prefer my old
Sony 6800W to the 800.

Michael Bryant, WA4009SWL
Louisville, KY
R75, S800, RX320, SW77, ICF2010K,