Old April 9th 04, 12:10 AM
Dan

In article ,
B Banton wrote:

I would also add that there are only 2 watts out. The old Grundigs
hit 15. Plus they just feel cheap. Like plastic China cheap. You
will be disappointed.

Yeah, I have a 650 here. I just picked up an 800 for a good price.
It will be here next Tuesday, with any luck.

My 700 should be here about the same time. It'll be interesting to
compare a 650, a 700 and an 800, along with my other radios (see
tagline).

Dan

Drake R8, Radio Shack DX-440,
Grundig Satellit 650, Satellit 700, YB400
Tecsun PL-230 (YB550PE), Kaito KA1102
Hallicraters S-120 (1962)
Zenith black dial 5 tube Tombstone (1937)
E. H. Scott 23 tube Imperial Allwave in Tasman cabinet (1936)
Old April 9th 04, 05:39 AM
Gary

B Banton wrote in message I would also add that there are only 2 watts out. The old Grundigs
hit 15. Plus they just feel cheap. Like plastic China cheap. You
will be disappointed.

Although I am a little disappointed in the 2-watts and lack of bass,
reception on my Satellit 800 exceeds that of the Satellit 650 I had
mainly because of the great sideband-selectable sync detector. I also
like the SLOW/FAST AGC on the 800 much better than the manual gain
control on the 650. And since the 800 cost half as much as the 650, I
am very much satisfied with it. The fact that it is made of plastic
doesn't both me as I use it on as a tabletop and to me it doesn't look
or feel cheaply made. I would have loved the 650 if they had added a
sideband-selectable sync detector and a fast/slow AGC. Then it would
have been outstanding.
Old April 9th 04, 05:57 AM
Brenda Ann Dyer

"Gary" wrote in message
m...
B Banton wrote in message I would also add that

there are only 2 watts out. The old Grundigs
hit 15. Plus they just feel cheap. Like plastic China cheap. You
will be disappointed.

Although I am a little disappointed in the 2-watts and lack of bass,
reception on my Satellit 800 exceeds that of the Satellit 650 I had
mainly because of the great sideband-selectable sync detector. I also
like the SLOW/FAST AGC on the 800 much better than the manual gain
control on the 650. And since the 800 cost half as much as the 650, I
am very much satisfied with it. The fact that it is made of plastic
doesn't both me as I use it on as a tabletop and to me it doesn't look
or feel cheaply made. I would have loved the 650 if they had added a
sideband-selectable sync detector and a fast/slow AGC. Then it would
have been outstanding.

I dearly loved my Sat. 650, which I bought when they were first released for
a whopping $1199.00 from Lextronics. It was a very good radio for it's
time, but in light of several improvements made in the lines of actual
receiving ability, the 700 and 800 are superior in many ways. Mind you,
nothing beats the sound of older Grundig radios, especially the 600/650,
which were absolutely wonderful for program listening.. However, leaving
aside the selectable sideband synchronous detector, the SSB reception on the
600/650 was particularly atrocious, I never was able to get a clear SSB
signal on it, even when turning the RF gain nearly all the way down (the RF
gain controls seem to be a bit sharp, meaning they go rapidly from zero gain
to too much). I did like the preselector on the 600/650 better than the one
on the 700, mainly because the one on the 700 does not have a memory, and is
difficult to set manually.

Old April 9th 04, 04:06 PM
B Banton

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 13:57:02 +0900, "Brenda Ann Dyer"
wrote:

"Gary" wrote in message
om...
[...]

My 800 hums slightly when I turn the light on. Does a sync detector
help with that? My battery indicator flashes after about 3 hours of
use. Does turning the gain control up have an effect on that? My 800
can't display the letters USB. How would you have me fix that? They
doubled up the BATT and Attenuate letters. Do you know that? I can't
turn the damn volume knob past 3 before sound distorts. Care to tell
me why they included volume control past that point? Even past the
half-way point? The 800 is an absolute mess. For anyone to defend it
is absolutely incredible IMO. And just another reason why mediocrity
is becoming acceptable. Tell Grundig to stuff that unit up their ever
loving a**.

Regards

Old April 9th 04, 10:29 PM
Volker Tonn

N8KDV schrieb:

Because you're always wrong, wrong, wrong....

Take your words for yourself.
Take a bath and beware of the whales.