Old April 12th 04, 12:37 AM
Dan

Default Replacement dial lamps for Satellit 650?

Has anyone here successfully replaced the front panel bulbs on a 650?
I'm down to one working bulb - the one on the preselector dial.

I ordered some bulbs from Mouser, and they are the correct size. But
the base is just a tad too wide and they will not fit into the sockets.
So I'm thinking of replacing the sockets. But I thought I'd ask here
first if anyone knows a source of true replacement bulbs.

According to this page:

http://www.geocities.com/grundig_satellit/

they are OSRAM bulbs, 6-7 volt. Three of them are rated at 30ma, and
one is rated at 80ma. The 30ma bulbs are Osram #2306. I don't know
the number of the 80ma bulb.

The bulbs I got from Mouser are Chicago Miniature Incandescent bulbs,
6.3V and 20ma. These were the closest I could find.

Any ideas?

Dan

Drake R8, Radio Shack DX-440,
Grundig S650, S700, S800, YB400
Tecsun PL-230 (YB550PE), Kaito KA1102
Hallicraters S-120 (1962)
Zenith black dial 5 tube Tombstone (1937)
E. H. Scott 23 tube Imperial Allwave in Tasman cabinet (1936)
Old April 12th 04, 12:51 AM
Mark S. Holden

Dan wrote:
Has anyone here successfully replaced the front panel bulbs on a 650?
I'm down to one working bulb - the one on the preselector dial.

I ordered some bulbs from Mouser, and they are the correct size. But
the base is just a tad too wide and they will not fit into the sockets.
So I'm thinking of replacing the sockets. But I thought I'd ask here
first if anyone knows a source of true replacement bulbs.

According to this page:

http://www.geocities.com/grundig_satellit/

they are OSRAM bulbs, 6-7 volt. Three of them are rated at 30ma, and
one is rated at 80ma. The 30ma bulbs are Osram #2306. I don't know
the number of the 80ma bulb.

The bulbs I got from Mouser are Chicago Miniature Incandescent bulbs,
6.3V and 20ma. These were the closest I could find.

Any ideas?

Dan

Have you considered white LED's?

If you're concerned about keeping it original for collector purposes
it's a bad idea, but they'll last a very long time.

Old April 12th 04, 12:56 AM
Dan

In article ,
"Mark S. Holden" wrote:

Have you considered white LED's?

If you're concerned about keeping it original for collector purposes
it's a bad idea, but they'll last a very long time.

No, I hadn't thought of that. I'm not really concerned about keeping
it "original". I'd rather have it working!

I'll look into LEDs. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old April 12th 04, 03:08 AM
starman

Dan wrote:

In article ,
"Mark S. Holden" wrote:

Have you considered white LED's?

If you're concerned about keeping it original for collector purposes
it's a bad idea, but they'll last a very long time.

No, I hadn't thought of that. I'm not really concerned about keeping
it "original". I'd rather have it working!

I'll look into LEDs. Thanks for the suggestion.

Dan

Remember that you will have to add a series resistor to limit the
current in each LED, otherwise they won't last long. Use Ohms law to
calculate the resistor value based on the source voltage and the
voltage/current ratings of the LED. I replaced the fifty-six (no typo!)
green LED's in my R8B display with just four bright white ones. The
display now looks blue-green with white charecters. The R8 was designed
before there were bright LED's, so Drake had to use an array of many
dozens of less bright ones to backlight the LCD display.

Old April 12th 04, 04:11 AM
Dan

In article , starman
wrote:

Remember that you will have to add a series resistor to limit the
current in each LED, otherwise they won't last long. Use Ohms law to
calculate the resistor value based on the source voltage and the
voltage/current ratings of the LED. I replaced the fifty-six (no typo!)
green LED's in my R8B display with just four bright white ones. The
display now looks blue-green with white charecters. The R8 was designed
before there were bright LED's, so Drake had to use an array of many
dozens of less bright ones to backlight the LCD display.

I *think* I might have found some original lamps for a decent price. I
have emailed them, and will report my findings.

Old April 12th 04, 04:40 AM
Burr

Wait for Brenda Ann, she put some in my radio.

Burr

Old April 12th 04, 05:17 AM
T Breslin

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 23:11:21 -0400, Dan wrote:

In article , starman
wrote:

[...]

You can purchase replacement bulbs at:

BulbDirect.com

Part Number: 0084-WI

84 01-I2 EIKO 6.3v .04A

I've put them in. They work. $.85 a piece

Old April 12th 04, 01:15 PM
Dan

In article ,
T Breslin wrote:

You can purchase replacement bulbs at:

BulbDirect.com

Part Number: 0084-WI

84 01-I2 EIKO 6.3v .04A

I've put them in. They work. $.85 a piece

Are you sure of those numbers? None of these numbers appear in their
lists. I searched on 0084-WI, 84 01-I2, EIKO, etc.

Thanks

Old April 12th 04, 06:42 PM
T Breslin

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 08:15:27 -0400, Dan wrote:

In article ,
T Breslin wrote:

You can purchase replacement bulbs at:

BulbDirect.com

Part Number: 0084-WI

84 01-I2 EIKO 6.3v .04A

I've put them in. They work. $.85 a piece

Are you sure of those numbers? None of these numbers appear in their
lists. I searched on 0084-WI, 84 01-I2, EIKO, etc.

Thanks

Dan

Drake R8, Radio Shack DX-440,
Grundig S650, S700, S800, YB400
Tecsun PL-230 (YB550PE), Kaito KA1102
Hallicraters S-120 (1962)
Zenith black dial 5 tube Tombstone (1937)
E. H. Scott 23 tube Imperial Allwave in Tasman cabinet (1936)

Looks like bulbdirect may has changed their site. Can't find Eiko
lamps there using search. I'm looking at my receipt so I know I
purchased them there. Anyway, the manufacturer site is:

http://www.eiko-ltd.com/eiko/item.asp?qid=166&lid=84

That's th actual bulb on that page. It fits. You can probably find
it at Mouser or DigiKey.

Hope that helps. I'll keep looking and post if I find it. Regards
Old April 12th 04, 06:49 PM
T Breslin

T Breslin wrote:

You can purchase replacement bulbs at:

BulbDirect.com

Part Number: 0084-WI

84 01-I2 EIKO 6.3v .04A

I've put them in. They work. $.85 a piece

Are you sure of those numbers? None of these numbers appear in their
lists. I searched on 0084-WI, 84 01-I2, EIKO, etc.

Thanks

Dan

Drake R8, Radio Shack DX-440,
Grundig S650, S700, S800, YB400
Tecsun PL-230 (YB550PE), Kaito KA1102
Hallicraters S-120 (1962)
Zenith black dial 5 tube Tombstone (1937)
E. H. Scott 23 tube Imperial Allwave in Tasman cabinet (1936)

http://www.miniaturelamps.com/en-us/dept_26.html

Look for BULB LAMP P/N "84"

Looks the same.