Old April 12th 04, 02:01 AM
Soames123

Default Notes on Howard Stern

- Doubtless someone plays him on SWR..

http://www.howardstern.com/HS%20Web/...gin%20Bush.htm

Old April 15th 04, 03:13 AM
CentralNJBill

Link didn't work but I might as well add my two cents. I don't like most of
what Howard Stern does, but he has an opinion and adds to the public
discourse. You may not agree with him, but squelching his ability to voice
his opinion--an opinion that's apparently shared by a legion of
fans--diminishes all of us.

His ban by Clear Channel is just another reason why corporations shouldn't
have the ability to own so many broadcast outlets.

Old April 15th 04, 04:13 AM
T. Early

"CentralNJBill" wrote in message
Link didn't work but I might as well add my two cents. I don't like

most of
what Howard Stern does, but he has an opinion and adds to the public
discourse. You may not agree with him, but squelching his ability to

voice
his opinion--an opinion that's apparently shared by a legion of
fans--diminishes all of us.

His ban by Clear Channel is just another reason why corporations

shouldn't
have the ability to own so many broadcast outlets.

Clear Channel's ownership of so many situations may in fact be a
problem for the industry, but I have no clue why you think Stern adds
to the "public discourse. " While Stern has hopped on the
Bush-bashing band wagon of late because he got his wrist slapped, his
show for the past several years has been based on sex and pretty
juvenile attempts to titillate his audience. Apparently, he finally
pushed the envelope too far by discussing preferences in anal sex and
"endowment" length. So if you want to listen to Stern, fine. But
let's not makes this an issue of Stern being punished for having
opinions that add to the public discourse, like he's doing anything
more than trying to boost ratings by being crude. The way he's trying
to wrap himself in the First Amendment is nauseating enough.

Old April 15th 04, 04:54 AM
Telamon

In article ,
"CentralNJBill" wrote:

Link didn't work but I might as well add my two cents. I don't like most of
what Howard Stern does, but he has an opinion and adds to the public
discourse. You may not agree with him, but squelching his ability to voice
his opinion--an opinion that's apparently shared by a legion of
fans--diminishes all of us.

His ban by Clear Channel is just another reason why corporations shouldn't
have the ability to own so many broadcast outlets.

He is a "shock jock." His show was never more than that so no great loss.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old April 15th 04, 02:39 PM
T. Early

"BDK" wrote in message
In article telamon_spamshield-95D58A.20544514042004
@news.sf.sbcglobal.net, lid
says...
In article ,
"CentralNJBill" wrote:

Link didn't work but I might as well add my two cents. I don't

like most of
what Howard Stern does, but he has an opinion and adds to the

public
discourse. You may not agree with him, but squelching his

ability to voice
his opinion--an opinion that's apparently shared by a legion of
fans--diminishes all of us.

His ban by Clear Channel is just another reason why corporations

shouldn't
have the ability to own so many broadcast outlets.

He is a "shock jock." His show was never more than that so no

great loss.

I disagree, but it should be up to me/you if we ant to listen, not

the
FCC or the GOP. I personally find most of the preachers on tv/radio

more
revolting than anything on Howard or similar shows..

That's part of the fallacy in the whole pro-Stern argument on this.
It isn't a matter of choice for "you and me" because those
are -public- airwaves, and the public as a whole, through their
elected representatives, has a considerable say in what's appropriate
and what is not. In this culture, that mostly centers on
crude/graphic yakking about sex that's considered inappropriate for a
morning show.

Before this whole incident, Stern had been left alone to get away with
stuff that even -he- wouldn't have dreamed he could have 10-15 years
ago, and he's become accustomed, like a little kid, to doing whatever
he wants. So let's not make this out to be repression or a real First
Amendment issue. He's crying all the way to the bank.

Old April 15th 04, 03:21 PM
CentralNJBill

"T. Early" wrote in message

[...]

It wasn't that long ago that television broadcasters would only show Elvis
Presley from the waist up; the fact that he gyrated his hips while dancing
was considered crude and "a juvenile attempt to titillate his audience." We
look back at that example of censorship today and think it's the silliest
thing we've ever heard of.

I don't choose to listen to Howard Stern, but I shudder to think that there
are those who are deciding for us what we are and are not allowed to hear.
While Stern, for you, is a comfortable target, who is to say that others
more near and dear to your heart may be next? Often the first step on the
slippery slope toward autocratic rule is censorship--others usually
accomplished that by burning books, but maybe we need to look at what
cutting "shock jocks" means in the larger scheme of things?

Old April 15th 04, 03:33 PM
Tracy Fort

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 10:21:20 -0400, "CentralNJBill"
wrote:

"T. Early" wrote in message

[...]

I agree fully. As a parent though, I like to protect my children until
they are old enough to make decisions for themselves. I do the best I
can to censor what they see and hear as I see fit. Unfortunately, I
can't control what they see and hear 100 percent of the time. I don't
mind if they show garbabe like Howard Stern as long as it's kept to
hours that he is not easily seen or heard by my kids. This really
applies not so much to Stern but some of the newer daytime radio
shows. I can't remember the 2 guys that do one particular show. They
have a skit that is entitled "Drunk bitch Friday". One time they had a
hooker on the show. You could call in and ask her to do certain sexual
acts. You could then go to a website and watch her do these things.
This was on a Friday morning.

Tracy
Old April 15th 04, 05:23 PM
BDK

In article ,
says...
wrote:

"T. Early" wrote in message

[...]

Yeah, on a weekday morning where for about 9 months of the year, they
would be under the direct control of their parents and teachers after
they get up, eat breakfast and go to school. The show ends about 10:30-
11:00 most days, 9/11 being an exception. Now during the summer, there
may be more of an opportunity to listen, but most kids wouldn't like it,
after all they have heard all the "indecent words" before, at school.
Where I first heard them.

Personally, I can do without two type of guests on Howard.

1. The group or singer who Howard sucks up to, like Sheryl Crow, or
James Taylor. Doesn't even matter if I like them as a performer, unless
they are funny, I don't listen to them..
2. The girls that come on and don't really do anything, and don't really
say anything either. Just lousy guests.

My favorite stuff on the show is the cast fighting with each other, and
Howard's parents or sister or some friend giving him crap about
something. Hardly indecent, usually not even really racy at all.

Anyone who thinks that Howard is all boobs and stuff either has never
listened (my guess), or ignores the other 3+ hours of the show and finds
one thing a half hour or so long to get their panties in a bunch over.

BDK