Old April 12th 04, 07:32 AM
WeLoveSpam

Default Opinions on IC-R9000 please

Hi,

I'm thinking about getting one of these sometime. What do you think of them,
i.e. performance, features, reliability, value for money, etc ?

Actually I heard early ones had reliability problems, whats a goood S/N to get
above please ?

Thanks,
Mike

Old April 12th 04, 07:03 PM
GrtPmpkin32

I'm thinking about getting one of these sometime. What do you think of
them,
i.e. performance, features, reliability, value for money, etc ?

Well, if you can find one at an affordable price, go for it. It will likely
retain its resale value if you don't like it.
I have not used one of these radios, and won't pretend to 'know' what's good or
bad about it, but it does seem to me, from reading specs and reviews, that
there are MANY other radios out there that are smaller, cheaper, and offer more
features (other than that neat CRT/spectrum diplay) than the '9000.
But, if you like the look of the set and can affordably snag one somewhere, it
can't hurt to play with it. You just might find, though, that for the money,
you could get two JRC NRD545's, or Drake R8Bs, or any number of other good,
solid tabletop radios which take up less space, cost less, and perform as well,
and in some cases much better, than the '9000.
IF it's a question of having a wideband receiver, you'd be better off (in my
opinion) getting a dedicated HF receiver and a separate dedicated VHF-and-up
receiver. Again, for the money spent on an Icom R9000, you could have two top
of the line radios dedicated to their own purposes and STILL have plenty of
dough left over for decent antennas and accessories, and snacks while
listening. Maybe even a new office chair for the listening post. Them '9000's
was EXPENSIVE when new, and they haven't gotten a whole lot cheaper since then.

Good luck-
Linus
Old April 13th 04, 12:41 AM
The Axelrods

WeLoveSpam wrote:

Hi,

I'm thinking about getting one of these sometime. What do you think of them,
i.e. performance, features, reliability, value for money, etc ?

Actually I heard early ones had reliability problems, whats a goood S/N to get
above please ?

Thanks,
Mike

They are no doubt great radios but..... In reality will you hear any
more stations or hear them any better than on an ICOM 8500. I would
check the reeceiver specs closely to see if there is any difference
between them. There better be for all the $$$$ difference. If they are
close then you have to ask is the 9000 worth all the extra money!

--
73 and Best of DX
Shawn Axelrod

Visit the AMANDX DX site with info for the new or experienced listener:

http://www.angelfire.com/mb/amandx/index.html

REMEMBER ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN HEAR FOREVER

Old April 13th 04, 03:22 AM
Brian Denley

WeLoveSpam wrote:
Hi,

I'm thinking about getting one of these sometime. What do you
think of them, i.e. performance, features, reliability, value for
money, etc ?

Actually I heard early ones had reliability problems, whats a goood
S/N to get above please ?

Thanks,
Mike

I have been thinking of picking one up too!!........as soon as I hit the
lottery.

--
Brian Denley

Old April 13th 04, 02:56 PM
Pirate Bill

Ive got a pair of them and I can honestly tell you they arent a bit better
than a YB-400 for Shortwave or amateur radio listening. I got mine when I
helped sell a cell phone company here locally in Kentucky. Ive since bought
a pair of RX-340's from Ten Tec and for half the price I think they are much
better as far as shortwave. I like the R-75 Icoms and R8 series Drake better
on Shortwave too....Even a Yaesu FT-1000D and the 1000 MP models are better
than the 9000 on shortwave. There are a lot of other routes to go rather
than spend twice or in some cases 4 times the money for mediochre
performance.

Go buy a pair of R-75's and put up some different outside wire antenna's and
prosper!

Bill

Old April 14th 04, 12:53 AM
m II

Pirate Bill wrote:

Ive got a pair of them and I can honestly tell you they arent a bit better
than a YB-400 for Shortwave or amateur radio listening.

Yeah? Well..I've got FOUR of them but being completely deaf, I just use
them to hold my chair up higher so's I can reach these here keys!

mike
Old April 14th 04, 02:36 PM
Pirate Bill

Might wanna get your chair off those Mike....Seems you've got up so high
your head is up your own ass and your runnin outta oxygen??

Bill

Icom R-20 Opinions consigliori Scanner 0 October 2nd 04 01:23 AM
Getting into the scanner hobby again.... thinking about the Icom IC-R3...opinions? j Scanner 2 January 24th 04 11:27 AM
opinions of GAP Voyager Fjx1 Antenna 2 December 31st 03 06:54 PM
Hallicrafters SX-110 opinions? Christopher Tyle Equipment 4 November 6th 03 05:13 PM
Opinions on Grundig FR200 AbbN Shortwave 13 September 5th 03 07:29 AM