Old April 12th 04, 03:47 PM
Corbin Ray

Default Air America Radio: Hypocritical & Desperate

http://michnews.com/artman/publish/article_3231.shtml

Old April 13th 04, 03:23 AM
Tom Betz

Quoth "Corbin Ray" in
:

http://michnews.com/artman/publish/article_3231.shtml

Richard Mullenax is a hypocrytical liar.

I would point out to the peripatetic Mr. Mullenax that contrary to his rabid
assertions, Air America didn't steal anything from anyone. Air America has
contracted with Inner City Broadcasting, the owner of WLIB (run, by the way,
by Pierre and Percy Sutton, African-Americans both) to lease WLIB. Inner City
has been losing money on its full-time Carribean programming, and now has an
opportunity to make a profitable deal, while at the same time providing a
public service to the community of New York, with wide-ranging, informative
and entertaining programming. Do black-owned radio stations not have the
right to make a profit? Would Mr. Mullenax restrict what Inner City may do
with its own property? Or is his problem with the deal more related to the
nature of the public service being provided by Air America -- providing a
counter to the ubiquitous hail of right-wing hate radio?

The hypocrisy lies not in Air America, but rather in Mr. Mullenax's
protestations.

--
"I am afeard there are few die well that die in a battle; for how can they
charitably dispose of anything when blood is their argument? Now, if these

Old April 13th 04, 04:46 PM
T. Early

"Tom Betz" wrote in message
Quoth "Corbin Ray" in
:

[...]

I guess the simple question, shorn of all the rhetoric, is whether Air
America replaced programming by the Coalition of Artists and
Activists or not. Did they (i.e., is Air America now where this
programming was previously)?

I also find this rather confusing. You refer to wide-ranging,
informative and entertaining programming. But I thought we were
talking about Air America?

Old April 13th 04, 04:46 PM
Corbin Ray

I don't care who owns WLIB. But I will never forgive them for killing one of
the best radio stations in middle America. Remember what happened to WOWO,
50,000-watt blowtorch from Fort Wayne that covered 38 states and half of
Canada? The owner of WLIB bought them a few years ago, decreased their power
and changed their directional pattern just so that WLIB could increase its
own power to cover NYC. Then the owners dumped their damaged goods and sold
WOWO to someone else.

That was one of the saddest days in broadcast history for me. WOWO used to
have an incredible signal here in Kentucky. Back in the 70s, my radio
buttons were set on WLS, WCFL, WOWO, and 15 WLAC. And even though they
weren't still playing music, I was listening to them steadily every night,
right up to the sad night when their strong signal became a noisy whisper.

So as far as I'm concerned, WLIB can take a flying leap into the Hudson
River and let us have WOWO back.

Old April 13th 04, 04:59 PM
N8KDV

Corbin Ray wrote:

[...]

When I was a kid I sat in the studio with Bob Sievers when he did his show on
WOWO.

I think I was 13 or 14 at the time. My grandparents farm was just up the hill
from the transmitter site, and I used to go down there and hang out. My
grandfather used to mow the area around the transmitter/tower site.

One set of grandparents lived in the city, the others had the farm.

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

Old April 13th 04, 05:16 PM
Diverd4777

- Sorry to hear that, Ray;

There are a few stations that have been treated the same way round here;
- Loop antenna help, or have they changed the format to something else?

Here in NYC, occasionally we can pick up WWVA, out of Wheeling, west Virginia;
- but only on certain nights..
& I DID like the Caribbean music WLIB used to play up here

Dan

In article , "Corbin Ray"

Subject: WLIB killed WOWO

Old April 13th 04, 06:23 PM
Tony Meloche

N8KDV wrote:

Corbin Ray wrote:

[...]

As a VERY begining DX'er in the early sixties, (Detroit), WOWO was
one of the very first stations I received clearly from another state
(read: "From a foreign country" in the mind of a 13-year-old boy). I,
too, liked their programming, and their reliability - as Corbin said,
they covered the whole midwest, and were always there, every night.
Change is the only constant, but it's really sad to see some things go.

Tony
Old April 13th 04, 06:51 PM
N8KDV

Corbin Ray wrote:

[...]

You mentioned WLS, which I'm listening to right now. Yesterday, April 12 was
their actual 80th anniversary according to them.

They have been making announcements all year that this is their 80th
anniversary.

I think I've been listening to them for perhaps 46 of those 80 years as I had an
early interest in radio from about 5 years of age onward.

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

Old April 13th 04, 07:35 PM
Ron Hardin

Diverd4777 wrote:
Here in NYC, occasionally we can pick up WWVA, out of Wheeling, west Virginia;
- but only on certain nights..

You can't rely on WWVA when it rains. They automatically cut into anything with
weather bureau rain warnings and you miss the punch lines. Clear Channel at work.

I go to an alternate Rush on rainy days (WDAO Dayton, though they're maniacs for
traffic tieup breaking news. Nobody just plays the damn program anymore).

I'd listen to the Columbus local WTVN for Rush but they delay it an hour so the hell with
them; also they play Rush with an annoying echo special-effect that the program director
thinks is erotic. Maybe if they turned it off people could listen at lunch.
--
Ron Hardin

Old April 13th 04, 10:47 PM
Diverd4777

I listen to WWVA for the 10:00 P.M. Coal Mine report;
- Which I find fascinating.
here in NYC, its all Stock Markets; Out in the Midwest it's all Feed grain
prices;
In L.A it's all Traffic & entertainment
& in Saudi Arabia, I suppose it's all Oil,
& what Schools are giving specials on Pilot Licences or something

Dan ( Listening to BBC on 12.095 & Randi Rhodes on 1.190 )