Old May 6th 04, 01:45 AM
GO BEARCATS

Default "Amos-n-Andy" coming in CD!!! *Soon*

I won't beat the subject in the ground anymore unless anyone wants to talk
about an episode or something, but I gotta tell you. If you just read 'some' of
that link Frank provided.........
http://www.midcoast.com/~lizmcl/aa.html

then listen to say maybe three or four shows, you'll be hooked IMO. That's how
it happened with me. That link took me forever to read and I read fast, but it
was late and I had a little bit of meds in me. But if you learn the way each
character acts and their quirks from that link and then listen to three or four
shows, you'll be hooked and at midnight wherever you are, you will have it
tuned to 7.415 WBCQ-they throw out a good signal so that won't be a problem.

Here's a snippet from an email I got today from Ed.

Recordings of my re-creations are NOT publicly available yet, so there's yet
another mis-statement!
NOT TRUE!!!
Soon I'll have CD's of all the programs I've done so far available on the open
market for purchase, but right now they're not.
And as far as being "racially insensitive" is concerned, that kind of thinking
exactly what's RUINED comedy in this country!
Hollywood and the entertainment industry in general is so concerned about being
"politically correct" these days that they've KILLED real comedy in the
country! Now nothing's funny!
That kind of criticism makes my blood boil!
In fact, That's exactly why I stick to the past. Then the values were right on
target. Comedy was REAL comedy; if you didn't want to listen to it, you didn't
HAVE to!
If someone doesn't like A&A, they can damn well turn off their radio. They
don't have to ruin it for everyone else.
Ed
If anyone in here hasn't gave 'Amos-n-Andy' a chance and listened to it, you
should, it has everything that comedy nowadays doesn't have. It has the funny
but yet at times emotional, in an 'innocence' that just doesn't come through in
todays comedy, NONE.

Thanks for reading and any support for 'A&A' is greatly appreciated.

~*~*Monitoring The AirWaves~*~
*****GO BEARCATS*****
Hammarlund HQ129X /Heathkit Q Multiplier
Hammarlund HQ140X
Multiple GE P-780's(GREAT BCB Radios)
RCA Victor *Strato- World*
RCA Victor RJC77W-K(Walnut Grain)
1942 Zenith Wave Magnet 6G 601M
Cathedral/ Ross#2311/Rhapsody-MultiBand
DX100/394/*SUPER*398/399/402
OMGS Transistor Eight/Realistic 12-1451
Henry Kloss Model One/Bell+Howell
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Alpha Delta DX Sloper 57ft.
600ft. 12AWG. (non-terminated)
120ft. 12 AWG Sloper
2 Radio Shack Loop Antennas
Radio Shack Amplified Antenna
30X30 DiamondLoop(six section 830pf Cap)
* Diamond Loop mounted to Lazy Susan TurnTable*
*21/2X2ft.FiveSpoked~Penta-Loop~PancakeLoop*

Old May 6th 04, 01:51 AM
GO BEARCATS

Hey Frank, you said this.
****************
The song brings up the racial insensititivity issue, though. It's debatable
if Amos 'n' Andy was racially insensitive, but there's no doubt that the
source of the music, the movie "Birth of a Nation" was racially insensitive.
*******************
What was so racially insensitive about it? Do you a sound byte of it or can
you 'tell me.' {?} That was 'racially insensitive but Diceman/Murphy/ and the
little fat former preacher psycho that died (I forget his name) EVERY comedian
*I* hear is WAYYYYYYYY more racially 'insensitive' than ANYTHING I have ever
heard on A&A.

I'm curious as to your reply...lol.

Old May 6th 04, 06:19 PM
Frank Dresser

"GO BEARCATS" wrote in message
Hey Frank, you said this.
****************
The song brings up the racial insensititivity issue, though. It's

debatable
if Amos 'n' Andy was racially insensitive, but there's no doubt that the
source of the music, the movie "Birth of a Nation" was racially

insensitive.
*******************
What was so racially insensitive about it? Do you a sound byte of it or

can
you 'tell me.' {?} That was 'racially insensitive but Diceman/Murphy/

and the
little fat former preacher psycho that died (I forget his name) EVERY

comedian
*I* hear is WAYYYYYYYY more racially 'insensitive' than ANYTHING I have

ever
heard on A&A.

I'm curious as to your reply...lol.

I saw "Birth of a Nation" years ago and calling it racially insensitive is
putting it lightly. It's racist. If I recall, it's about the Civil War era
South, it portrays Blacks in racial stereotypes and the KKK as heroes.

"Birth of a Nation" a silent movie, and the music must have come from a
music score written for the movie.

It's also boring. But it was considered to be one of the most amazing
films of it's day, so I suppose the previous films were even more boring.

I'm sure Google can come with more on "Birth of a Nation".

I don't mind insensitive movies. The best movie I've seen recently was a
heavily edited version of "Head of the Family", which was shown by a local
TV horror movie host. This movie is insensitive to Bikers, Bimbos,
Sleazeballs and, most of all, Human Freaks. I can highly recommend it.

Frank Dresser

Old May 7th 04, 06:05 AM
GO BEARCATS

I don't mind insensitive movies. The best movie I've seen recently was a
heavily edited version of "Head of the Family", which was shown by a local
TV horror movie host.

So you *are* big or *not* big on racially insensitive. I get mixed feelings
reading your post. {?}

~^Monitoring The Spectrum^~

Old May 7th 04, 06:44 AM
GO BEARCATS

Here's Ed's reply to that song being 'insensitive.' LOL

Once again, this guy doesn't know what he's talking about!
"The Perfect Song" was written as a dreamy song to be sung. I have a copy of
the words and music somewhere, and there's nothing in those words that is
"racially insensitive"! They are dreamy, philosophical in nature, so I really
can't see what he's talking about!
If he means that the movie BIRTH OF A NATION portrayed negroes as slaves, well
then THAT'S THE WAY IT WAS, during the birth of this nation! They were brought
over here to this country to be SLAVES, to work on the southern cotton
plantations like it or not!
Apparently, he's criticizing the movie because it was historically accurate!
The movie may have USED the song to enhance the action in it, but that doesn't
mean that the composer of the song was "racially insensitive"!

~^Monitoring The Spectrum^~

Old May 7th 04, 05:39 PM
GrtPmpkin32

Apparently, he's criticizing the movie because it was historically accurate!

What a silly thing to say.
D.W. Griffith's Birth Of A Nation is an important film for a number of reasons,
but historical accuracy is hardly one of them.
The film portrays the KKK as kind, decent, heroic men, and negroes as idiots
REGARDLESS of slave status. It is widely criticized for this flaw, but also
widely accepted and understood to be an important film. D.W. Griffith thought
the way a lot of people still think to this day. Doesn't make his work useless,
but flawed in some very distasteful ways.
By the way, my great grandmother was actually IN Birth of a Nation, so I became
somewhat familiar with this film from an early age. Even as a kid I knew what
was inaccurate and racist, and what was fascinating and accurate, about it.
Linus
Old May 7th 04, 06:51 PM
Frank Dresser

"GO BEARCATS" wrote in message
I don't mind insensitive movies. The best movie I've seen recently was a
heavily edited version of "Head of the Family", which was shown by a

local
TV horror movie host.

So you *are* big or *not* big on racially insensitive. I get mixed

feelings
reading your post. {?}

Generally, I don't think any of the stereotypes are particularly funny, but
not because they are insensitive, but because they get played out so
quickly. The lamest stereotype around now is southern yokel. That guy
stopped being funny about the tenth time Earnest T. Bass showed up.

I would think there's some real comedy potential with the Gangsta' Rappa'
character, but I haven't seen much.

Frank Dresser

Old May 7th 04, 06:53 PM
Frank Dresser

[...]

Well, I did call the movie racially insensitive and racist. That's a fact,
just as much as it's a fact that slavery was racist. My real critisism of
the movie is that it is boring. I don't remember much more of it, but I do
remember it does portray blacks as either subservient or a threat. I
suppose they could have put in a token negro hero for balance, but then the
movie would have been even worse, because it would have been even more
boring.

I don't know much of anything about the song, I just know it was written for
a racially insensitive, boring movie. I also know the critisism of Amos 'n'
Andy centers around it's presumed racial insensitivity. Yes, I did say
presumed. Presumed by people other than me. I really don't have a strong
opinion of Amos 'n' Andy one way or another. But it does seem strange that
a song from that movie was chosen for the original Amos 'n' Andy.

I'm not critisizing Ed's recreations of Amos 'n' Andy. I don't listen to
them. I don't think many shortwave listeners listen, either. I do know
there's plenty of fans of old time radio out there, but I don't think SW
radio reaches the bulk of them. I think the internet is a good place to
reach the OTR fans.

Ed does seem to take obvservations and comments as critisisms of his show.
I wonder if he's just a little sensitive.

Frank Dresser

Old May 7th 04, 08:34 PM
Frank Dresser

"-=jd=-" wrote in message

Dave Chappell - "Chappell's Show" on comedy central. It is one show that I
would not have anticipated I would find entertaining as Rap/Hip-Hop is
simply not my cup of tea. However, for skit comedy - he is incredibly
funny. His hilarious parodies of the Gangsta/Rappa/Playa/Hater are too
funny to miss.

-=jd=-

Oh, the hack writers haven't gotten ahold of that one, yet. Is Dave
Chappell a white guy doing it in blackface? That would be almost enough to
get me to buy a cable hookup.

Frank Dresser

Old May 8th 04, 12:29 PM
GO BEARCATS

What a silly thing to say.

I don't know Pumpkin, I've never saw it, so I can't comment on it. I'll
cut-n-paste your remarks and send it to him and post his reply.

I don't know. {?}

~^Monitoring The Spectrum^~