RadioBanter

-   -   Bush Sees the US as a White Nation (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/42416-bush-sees-us-white-nation.html)

Michael Bryant May 6th 04 10:39 AM

Bush Sees the US as a White Nation

Here is a quotation from GWBush this last Friday in the Rose Garden. I'm not
sure why it hasn't received more play:

"There's a lot of people in the world who don't believe that people whose
skin color may not be the same as ours can be free and self-govern. I reject
that. I reject that strongly. I believe that people who practice the Muslim
faith can self-govern. I believe that people whose skins aren't necessarily
a different color than white can self-govern."

The racism here is not subtle. In my mind, it portrays how the President sees
the world.

Michael Bryant, WA4009SWL
Louisville, KY
R75, S800, RX320, SW77, ICF2010K,
DX398, 7600G, 6800W, RF2200, 7600A
GE SRll, Pro-2006, Pro-2010, Pro-76
(remove "nojunk" to reply)

Al Arduengo May 6th 04 02:15 PM

Michael Bryant wrote:
Here is a quotation from GWBush this last Friday in the Rose Garden. I'm not
sure why it hasn't received more play:

"There's a lot of people in the world who don't believe that people whose
skin color may not be the same as ours can be free and self-govern. I reject
that. I reject that strongly. I believe that people who practice the Muslim
faith can self-govern. I believe that people whose skins aren't necessarily
a different color than white can self-govern."

The racism here is not subtle. In my mind, it portrays how the President sees
the world.

I think it is important to be careful how you quote this. Yes, taken
out of context it seems that he is somehow racially biased. However,
the general problem as I understand it is that many folks believe the US
is somehow diminishing the equality of other races and that is how
protests and media coverage spin it. In the case of the quote above, he
was likely trying to answer directly to the concerns. Many think the
Americans hate Muslims and therefore hate middle easterners ergo darker
skinned people. Looks to me like he was merely saying that as a
majority white nation (and I mean that with respect to SKIN COLOR ONLY)
we *do* believe that other races are equally capable of governing
themselves. It is not a rhetorical statement. It is answering a
question in my opinion.

Best,
-Al

Michael Bryant May 6th 04 02:43 PM

From: Al Arduengo

I think it is important to be careful how you quote this. Yes, taken
out of context it seems that he is somehow racially biased. However,
the general problem as I understand it is that many folks believe the US
is somehow diminishing the equality of other races and that is how
protests and media coverage spin it. In the case of the quote above, he
was likely trying to answer directly to the concerns. Many think the
Americans hate Muslims and therefore hate middle easterners ergo darker
skinned people. Looks to me like he was merely saying that as a
majority white nation (and I mean that with respect to SKIN COLOR ONLY)
we *do* believe that other races are equally capable of governing
themselves. It is not a rhetorical statement. It is answering a
question in my opinion.

though i see what you're saying, Al, I am troubled by having a President who is
quick to define the US as a "white nation." And the President's sentiments seem
to be divergent with many posters in this newsgroup who suggest that Muslims,
in general, are a group of people that cannot co-exist with the rest of the

N8KDV May 6th 04 02:47 PM

From: Al Arduengo

[...]

Where and when did he do that Fat Boy?

Michael Bryant May 6th 04 02:55 PM

From: N8KDV

I am troubled by having a President who is
quick to define the US as a "white nation."

Where and when did he do that Fat Boy?

See the original post in the thread. Rose Garden, last Friday. Qoute in the
original post.

Learn to read, Steve!

N8KDV May 6th 04 02:59 PM

From: N8KDV

I am troubled by having a President who is
quick to define the US as a "white nation."

Where and when did he do that Fat Boy?

See the original post in the thread. Rose Garden, last Friday. Qoute in the
original post.

Learn to read, Steve!

Learn to read Fat Boy... he didn't state or define the USA as a 'White Nation'
at all!

More fabrications on your part!

Michael Bryant May 6th 04 03:07 PM

From: N8KDV

Learn to read Fat Boy... he didn't state or define the USA as a 'White
Nation'
at all!

Even Al, when defending Bush, thought that Bush had assumed that the US was a
majority white nation.

Here's the quote, again. Read real carefully, Stevie;

"There's a lot of people in the world who don't believe that people whose
skin color may not be the same as ours can be free and self-govern. I reject
that. I reject that strongly. I believe that people who practice the Muslim
faith can self-govern. I believe that people whose skins aren't necessarily
a different color than white can self-govern."

Ours = white. Can you read that well, Steve?

N8KDV May 6th 04 03:14 PM

From: N8KDV

Learn to read Fat Boy... he didn't state or define the USA as a 'White
Nation'
at all!

Even Al, when defending Bush, thought that Bush had assumed that the US was a
majority white nation.

Here's the quote, again. Read real carefully, Stevie;

"There's a lot of people in the world who don't believe that people whose
skin color may not be the same as ours can be free and self-govern. I reject
that. I reject that strongly. I believe that people who practice the Muslim
faith can self-govern. I believe that people whose skins aren't necessarily
a different color than white can self-govern."

Ours = white. Can you read that well, Steve?

Where does he say White Nation oh eyesight challenged one?

N8KDV May 6th 04 03:18 PM

From: N8KDV

Even Al, when defending Bush, thought that Bush had assumed that the US was

majority white nation.

Here's the quote, again. Read real carefully, Stevie;

"There's a lot of people in the world who don't believe that people whose
skin color may not be the same as ours can be free and self-govern. I

reject
that. I reject that strongly. I believe that people who practice the Muslim
faith can self-govern. I believe that people whose skins aren't necessarily
a different color than white can self-govern."

Ours = white. Can you read that well, Steve?

Where does he say White Nation oh eyesight challenged one?

try again, Steve!

Can't back up your fabrication can you Fat Boy?