Old May 6th 04, 12:28 PM
GO BEARCATS

Default RayOVAC Batteries...............

What's the groups take on this particular brand? I've never purchased them
myself. I bought a pack of sixteen of them for $3.87 (including tax.)

I know this part has been mentioned before but if someone would be so kind,
what's the best way to store batteries (alkaline) or is there? I know not to
have them out in the extreme heat, but I've read some people put em' in the
fridge.

Is there any validity to this other than cold batteries? ;-)

Hammarlund HQ129X /Heathkit Q Multiplier
Hammarlund HQ140X
Multiple GE P-780's(GREAT BCB Radios)
RCA Victor *Strato- World*
RCA Victor RJC77W-K(Walnut Grain)
1942 Zenith Wave Magnet 6G 601M
Cathedral/ Ross#2311/Rhapsody-MultiBand
DX100/394/*SUPER*398/399/402
OMGS Transistor Eight/Realistic 12-1451
Henry Kloss Model One/Bell+Howell
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Alpha Delta DX Sloper 57ft.
600ft. 12AWG. (non-terminated)
120ft. 12 AWG Sloper
2 Radio Shack Loop Antennas
Radio Shack Amplified Antenna
30X30 DiamondLoop(six section 830pf Cap)
* Diamond Loop mounted to Lazy Susan TurnTable*
*21/2X2ft.FiveSpoked~Penta-Loop~PancakeLoop*

Old May 6th 04, 01:07 PM
Mark S. Holden

GO BEARCATS wrote:
What's the groups take on this particular brand? I've never purchased them
myself. I bought a pack of sixteen of them for $3.87 (including tax.)

I know this part has been mentioned before but if someone would be so kind,
what's the best way to store batteries (alkaline) or is there? I know not to
have them out in the extreme heat, but I've read some people put em' in the
fridge.

Is there any validity to this other than cold batteries? ;-)

I haven't done a formal test, but RayOVac alkaline batteries seem to
perform about like typical store brand alkaline batteries - a little
less juice than Duracell or Eveready.

They aren't my brand of choice, but if I'm buying batteries for remotes
or LED flashlights, I'll buy them if the price is right. I have NIMH
batteries for most things with high current draw.

Putting batteries in the fridge will extend their shelf life a bit
because it slows down the chemical reaction. They won't be able to give
full power until they warm up. But unless you forget where you put
them, odds are the shelf life is long enough anyway.

Old May 6th 04, 01:37 PM
GO BEARCATS

perform about like typical store brand alkaline batteries - a little
less juice than Duracell or Eveready.

I thought so Mark, hence the price.;-)

I have NIMH
batteries for most things with high current draw.

I have them a NcCdm also for my charger. First time I ever bought that many
batteries at a pop, but they were cheap and they're always good to have on
hand, like for my mini-mag lite/atomic clock or other wall clocks/remotes.

Putting batteries in the fridge will extend their shelf life a bit
because it slows down the chemical reaction.

I won't bother.

~^Monitoring The Spectrum^~

Old May 6th 04, 02:36 PM
Brian Running

What's the groups take on this particular brand? I've never purchased them
myself. I bought a pack of sixteen of them for $3.87 (including tax.)

Lately, Ray-O-Vac has been the best deal around for alkaline batteries, and
I've been using them pretty much exclusively for the last year or so. I
don't find any difference at all between them and any of the other major
brands, e.g., Energizer and Duracell.

The only other brand I've used in the last year is Walgreen's own brand of
alkalines. Also a very good value, and work very well.

The worst batteries I have ever had are Maxell alkalines. They're
everywhere these days, they're cheap, and they are terrible. I haven't
measured this scientifically, but they seem to last about half as long as
the Ray-O-Vacs.

Old May 6th 04, 02:41 PM
Al Dykes

In article ,
Mark S. Holden wrote:
GO BEARCATS wrote:
[...]

Google anything that looks like a model # on the batteries and
you'll probably find a manufacturer's spec sheet showing
curves and MAH ratings. This is one way to spot D cells
that are really C cells in a D shell.

The major brands do differ in MAH rating, and I assume
make different flavors for different markets. Frequently
it comes down to buying what's in sale and not worrying
about it.

When I've looked at spec sheets for AA batteries
Rayovac was at the low end for MAH ratings but that's
not the same thing as MAH/$$

--
Al Dykes
-----------

Old May 6th 04, 06:37 PM
Frank Dresser

"GO BEARCATS" wrote in message
What's the groups take on this particular brand? I've never purchased them
myself. I bought a pack of sixteen of them for $3.87 (including tax.)

Ray-O-Vacs used to be my favorite brand. I could get a large pack at the
home improvement store for a good price. They seemed to last about as long
as Duracells. And they were made in Wisconsin. And they had a excellent
guarantee. Now, I think they're making them in Asia. That's a
disappointment. I still have some of my old Ray-O-Vac D cells. I don't
know how good the newer ones are.

I know this part has been mentioned before but if someone would be so

kind,
what's the best way to store batteries (alkaline) or is there? I know not

have them out in the extreme heat, but I've read some people put em' in

the
fridge.

Is there any validity to this other than cold batteries? ;-)

They self discharge more slowly in the refrigerator. They don't have full
power until they warm up. Usually, it's not worth worrying about.
Alkalines last a long time at room temperature.

Frank Dresser

Old May 6th 04, 06:54 PM
Tony Meloche

Frank Dresser wrote:

"GO BEARCATS" wrote in message
What's the groups take on this particular brand? I've never purchased them
myself. I bought a pack of sixteen of them for $3.87 (including tax.)

Ray-O-Vacs used to be my favorite brand. I could get a large pack at the
home improvement store for a good price. They seemed to last about as long
as Duracells. And they were made in Wisconsin. And they had a excellent
guarantee. Now, I think they're making them in Asia. That's a
disappointment. I still have some of my old Ray-O-Vac D cells. I don't
know how good the newer ones are.

Consumer's Union tests alkaline batteries ever few years, and their
most recent tests say "buy by price" - they found no meaningful
differences in length of life from Duracell/Eveready all the way down
through "Rite-Aid" brand and the like. They seem to have become a
homogenized technology, like color TV - one is generally as good as
another (it was NOT that way 15 years ago with batteries, though). I
started taking a chance on "generics" again about 2 years ago, and have
been pleased with the length of life vis-a-vis Duracell or Eveready.
But the generics are probably made by one or the other of the "big
boys", anyway.

Tony
Old May 7th 04, 06:21 AM
GO BEARCATS

The worst batteries I have ever had are Maxell alkalines. They're
everywhere these days, they're cheap, and they are terrible. I haven't
measured this scientifically, but they seem to last about half as long as
the Ray-O-Vacs.

Thanks for the tip Brian. :-)

~^Monitoring The Spectrum^~

Old May 7th 04, 06:23 AM
GO BEARCATS

This is one way to spot D cells
that are really C cells in a D shell.

Oh really, interesting considering I need six for my mag-lite of over 10 years.
What's a great Dcell in your opinion?

~^Monitoring The Spectrum^~

Old May 7th 04, 06:26 AM
GO BEARCATS

- they found no meaningful
differences in length of life from Duracell/Eveready all the way down
through "Rite-Aid" brand and the like. They seem to have become a
homogenized technology, like color TV -

OK Tony, point taken.

Thanks:-)

~^Monitoring The Spectrum^~