Old May 6th 04, 01:19 PM
GO BEARCATS

Default Narrow & Wide............

Any radio really I'm talking about, but this is to help me with the 398 when I
get it back.

I ususally use the narrow filter, like, almost all the time. When would one
listen to it on 'wide'? For a Big station or for music?

Tell me how you all use between your *narrow or wide*.......I am interested.
:-)
How would it play on the BCB dxing?

Thanks

~^Monitoring The Spectrum^~
Hammarlund HQ129X /Heathkit Q Multiplier
Hammarlund HQ140X
Multiple GE P-780's(GREAT BCB Radios)
RCA Victor *Strato- World*
RCA Victor RJC77W-K(Walnut Grain)
1942 Zenith Wave Magnet 6G 601M
Cathedral/ Ross#2311/Rhapsody-MultiBand
DX100/394/*SUPER*398/399/402
OMGS Transistor Eight/Realistic 12-1451
Henry Kloss Model One/Bell+Howell
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Alpha Delta DX Sloper 57ft.
600ft. 12AWG. (non-terminated)
120ft. 12 AWG Sloper
2 Radio Shack Loop Antennas
Radio Shack Amplified Antenna
30X30 DiamondLoop(six section 830pf Cap)
* Diamond Loop mounted to Lazy Susan TurnTable*
*21/2X2ft.FiveSpoked~Penta-Loop~PancakeLoop*

Old May 6th 04, 03:20 PM
Arthur Harris

"GO BEARCATS" wrote:
Any radio really I'm talking about, but this is to help me with the 398

when I
get it back.

I ususally use the narrow filter, like, almost all the time. When would

one
listen to it on 'wide'? For a Big station or for music?

Tell me how you all use between your *narrow or wide*.......I am

interested.
:-)
How would it play on the BCB dxing?

The wider the filter, the better the high frequency audio response will be.
If the signal is strong and there is no adjacent channel interference, I
always use the wide filter for AM reception.

Depending what the actual "width" of the filter is, the narrow filter can
make the audio sound muffled.

You'd use the narrow filter for ssb, and for weak AM signals surrounded by
intereference.

Art N2AH

Old May 6th 04, 05:30 PM
J999w

Wide for listening to Rush Limbaugh.

Narrow for DXing.

jw
K9RZZ

Old May 6th 04, 05:57 PM
m II

J999w wrote:

Wide for listening to Rush Limbaugh.
Narrow for DXing.

Who would have thought! The narrower the world view, the wider the
filter? You'd think it should be the the other way around!

mike
Old May 6th 04, 07:08 PM
T. Early

"m II" wrote in message
J999w wrote:

Wide for listening to Rush Limbaugh.
Narrow for DXing.

Who would have thought! The narrower the world view, the wider the
filter? You'd think it should be the the other way around!

Nah, it seems to work that way--some kind of irony. Michael Moore's
myopic movies are produced for the wide screen despite the narrowness
of their perspective.

FWIW, I also only use the narrow filter on the 398 when there's
adjacent interference and default to the wide.

Old May 6th 04, 07:19 PM
m II

T. Early wrote:

FWIW, I also only use the narrow filter on the 398 when there's
adjacent interference and default to the wide.

Being lazy I got a 398 for narrow filter settings and a 909 right next
to it for wide. It saves wear on the sliding switches. I also became
ambidextrous, so I can now tune BOTH sets in unison. Hope I never get a
stroke...

mike
Old May 7th 04, 04:10 AM
Mediaguy500

Nah, it seems to work that way--some kind of irony.

and here's some more irony for you, from old tv show theme songs:

"They're four men living all together, yet they're all alone."

"They're the modern stone-age family"

""a pair of matching bookends different as night and day"

Old May 7th 04, 05:05 AM
Mediaguy500

Wide for listening to Rush Limbaugh.

Is that because Rush was so wide?

Old May 8th 04, 07:08 AM
GO BEARCATS

Hey!!!!! What became of my thread? Was there even an answer, I don't want to
have to google for it.

I almost forget how I phrased my question. Boy, what you all can do to a
thread. ;-P

Old May 8th 04, 07:24 AM
DeWayne

"GO BEARCATS" wrote in message
Hey!!!!! What became of my thread? Was there even an answer, I don't want

have to google for it.

I almost forget how I phrased my question. Boy, what you all can do to a
thread. ;-P

It doesn't take long for most threads to get WAY off track.

DeWayne