Old May 8th 04, 10:07 AM
Nyimbo

Default UHF TV reception question for beginner

I see that the specs for some radios include TV frequencies but always
for channel 2-13 VHF.

Where are the UHF frequencies located and why are they not available
except on a TV set?

I don't even need it now but there was a time a couple years back when
CNN was starting to be broadcast live 24 hours on a local UHF station,
I think it was channel 35. I wanted to be able to receive it on a
radio in my office but at that time none of the radios I looked at
that had TV had TV UHF.

Nyimbo

I sent this to the wrong group yesterday, but to my surprise got some
answers without any complaints about being off thread. Anyway I'll
send it again to the correct group
Nyimbo,
Limuru, Kenya

{remove the number to reply}
Old May 8th 04, 12:00 PM
Arthur Harris

"Nyimbo" wrote:
I see that the specs for some radios include TV frequencies but always
for channel 2-13 VHF.

Where are the UHF frequencies located and why are they not available
except on a TV set?

I don't even need it now but there was a time a couple years back when
CNN was starting to be broadcast live 24 hours on a local UHF station,
I think it was channel 35. I wanted to be able to receive it on a
radio in my office but at that time none of the radios I looked at
that had TV had TV UHF.

Nyimbo
Limuru, Kenya

Scanner radios will cover some of the UHF channels.

In the US, all TV channels are 6 MHz wide. Channel 14 is 470-476 MHz.
Channel 15 is 476-482 MHz, etc. The audio carrier is 5.75 MHz up from the
bottom of the channel (e.g., for ch 14, audio would be at 475.75 MHz).

See:
http://www.chem.hawaii.edu/uham/catvfreq.html

The frequency assignments and broadcast standards in Kenya are probably very
different.

Art, N2AH

Old May 8th 04, 02:40 PM
David

Audio is 4.5 mHz above Video Carrier. The other 1.25 mHz below Video
Carrier is a vestigial sideband.

Old May 8th 04, 04:08 PM
Doug Smith W9WI

Nyimbo wrote:
I see that the specs for some radios include TV frequencies but always
for channel 2-13 VHF.

Where are the UHF frequencies located and why are they not available
except on a TV set?

UHF is roughly 470-900MHz; the exact ranges vary slightly from country
to country. VHF is roughly 44-220MHz. (again varying slightly from
country to country, and with a gap between roughly 88-170MHz used by FM
radio and various two-way services)

Because of the large gap between 220 and 470MHz, adding UHF would
require adding another band to these radios, and would drive up the
price. In the USA, the most popular channels in the largest cities are
all VHF; people buying these radios in New York, Chicago, San Francisco,
Miami, or Boston (among other places) would have little use for UHF
coverage. I believe (but having never been to Japan am not certain)
that the same thing is true in Japan. That's my guess as to why these
don't cover UHF.

(that said, there are plenty of cities where popular channels *are* UHF
- indeed, PBS is on UHF in Los Angeles, the second-largest U.S. city.
There are even plenty of cities where *all* television is UHF.
Apparently these radios don't sell very well in those citiesgrin.)

Note that the specific frequencies quoted in the other replies are for
U.S. standards. Frequencies used in Kenya are different. I have a
chart on my website (URL in the signature). I believe Kenya uses the
Western European frequency plan.

Most newer VHF/UHF scanners will also receive UHF TV sound. They're
pretty expensive though. If you just want to listen to TV sound, it's
probably cheaper to buy a cheap TV. If low cost is more important than
small size, one could scrounge a defective VCR and use its tuner to
receive UHF sound.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

AM reception question Jazzy Shortwave 7 April 1st 04 08:12 PM
Reception question David Casey Scanner 11 January 24th 04 07:26 AM
Poor quality low + High TV channels? How much dB in Preamp? lbbs Shortwave 16 December 13th 03 03:01 PM