Old May 8th 04, 02:29 PM
Greg

Default MARS?

Is anyone hearing MARS activity (the military affiliates, not the planet)?
I never hear anything on the freq's I have.

Greg

Old May 8th 04, 02:59 PM
Arthur Harris

"Greg" wrote:
Is anyone hearing MARS activity (the military affiliates, not the planet)?
I never hear anything on the freq's I have.

I hear the MARS nets most often between 4.0 and 4.1 MHz mornings and
evenings.

Art N2AH

Old May 8th 04, 10:16 PM
Jeff Seale

Arthur Harris wrote:

"Greg" wrote:

Is anyone hearing MARS activity (the military affiliates, not the planet)?
I never hear anything on the freq's I have.

I hear the MARS nets most often between 4.0 and 4.1 MHz mornings and
evenings.

Art N2AH

The last MARS net I heard was on 4003 kHz at about 8:00 EDT.

Jeff Seale
Louisville, KY
Old May 9th 04, 12:58 AM
Greg

From: Jeff Seale
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 21:16:15 GMT
Subject: MARS?

Arthur Harris wrote:

"Greg" wrote:

Is anyone hearing MARS activity (the military affiliates, not the planet)?
I never hear anything on the freq's I have.

I hear the MARS nets most often between 4.0 and 4.1 MHz mornings and
evenings.

Art N2AH

The last MARS net I heard was on 4003 kHz at about 8:00 EDT.

Jeff Seale
Louisville, KY

There was already activity on that freq when I tuned in around 7:45 EDT.

Also, I have heard the special Armed Forces Day traffic on 13985, 13996, and
14467 USA earlier and 14467 is still active.

Greg

Old May 9th 04, 03:31 AM
Jeff Seale

Greg wrote:

There was already activity on that freq when I tuned in around 7:45 EDT.

Also, I have heard the special Armed Forces Day traffic on 13985, 13996, and
14467 USA earlier and 14467 is still active.

Greg

That's cool, I don't do too much daytime/morning listening though except
on the weekends when I don't have to work. The earliest you'll find me
hitting the radio is about 3:00 PM EDT.

Jeff Seale
Louisville, KY

Old May 9th 04, 03:44 AM
Bill Everhart

On Sun, 09 May 2004 02:31:59 GMT, Jeff Seale
wrote:

Greg wrote:

There was already activity on that freq when I tuned in around 7:45 EDT.

Also, I have heard the special Armed Forces Day traffic on 13985, 13996, and
14467 USA earlier and 14467 is still active.

Greg

That's cool, I don't do too much daytime/morning listening though except
on the weekends when I don't have to work. The earliest you'll find me
hitting the radio is about 3:00 PM EDT.

Jeff Seale
Louisville, KY

I've been wondering: If a shortwave transmitter was put on Mars could
I pick it up - at night I mean? Would I need an external antenna?
BTW - I tune down.
Old May 8th 04, 03:05 PM
el lector se guarda

Very timely request -- as from the ARRL is:

To celebrate the 54th US Armed Forces Day, the Army, Air Force, Navy, Marine
Corps and Coast Guard are cosponsoring the annual Military/Amateur Radio
communications tests on Saturday May 8. While Armed Forces Day is May 15,
the Armed Forces Day on-air special event will take place a week earlier to
avoid conflicting with Hamvention 2004, May 14-16. The event features
military-to-amateur crossband voice operations and a digital message
receiving test, with the text of the message prepared by US Secretary of
Defense Donald Rumsfeld. URL:
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2004/04/15/1/

For frequencies & locations -- see URL:
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/200.../ssb-sked.html
--
el lector se guarda

Amateur Radio is the best back-up
communications system in the world,
and that's the way it is. Walter Cronkite

Old May 8th 04, 03:43 PM
Brenda Ann Dyer

"Greg" wrote in message
Is anyone hearing MARS activity (the military affiliates, not the planet)?
I never hear anything on the freq's I have.

I'm pretty sure all the MARS stations here in S. Korea are gone. The reason
being that it's easier for the GI's to just use the phone. Most of them buy
cheap cell phones, and buy phone cards. We can actually call stateside from
here cheaper than most of you can call the next state (the card I use is a
bit under 5 cents per minute to the US).

Old May 8th 04, 07:36 PM
Greg

Thanks for the info everyone.

Greg

Old May 13th 04, 09:08 PM
Harris

JJ wrote:
Arthur Harris wrote:

The signal will decrease by 6 dB every time you double the distance. MIR was
about 250 miles above Earth, and you could establish communicaion with
fairly low power when it was overhead. On the other hand, Mars is about 35
million miles away! You'd need a LOT more power and antenna gain to contact
Mars.

Voyager 1 is just over 90 Astronomical Units or 8.4 billion miles from
the sun, transmitting with approximately 2 watts and signals are still
being received here on earth. How do you account for that?

A steerable 12-foot dish on the spacecraft, and HUGE antenna arrays on
Earth.

See:
http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/pubs/tr...c06-stone.html

The article says in part:

"The science data from this 12-year journey of exploration completely
altered our understanding of these planetary systems. A number of
first-time telecommunications achievements made this possible, including
the first operational X-band (8.4-GHz) system. During the course of the
mission, there were a number of significant changes to the communications
system on the spacecraft and on Earth which provided in aggregate a factor
of six higher data return at Neptune than was possible at launch. Data
compression programmed into the flight data system gave the largest single
increment, and switching from a Golay code to a Reed-Solomon code helped
enable the use of the data compression. The other major contribution came
from increases in effective receiving area by arraying of multiple Deep
Space Network (DSN) antennas and increasing the size and efficiency of the
largest DSN antennas from 64 m to 70 m. For the Neptune encounter, an
array of 29 antennas consisting of 70- and 34-m antennas in California and
27 additional 25-m antennas (comprising the National Science Foundation's
Very Large Array in New Mexico) provided fully steerable equivalent
aperture of 150 m."

Art N2AH