RadioBanter

-   -   [ OT ] Is our climate nearing the tipping point? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/42605-%5B-ot-%5D-our-climate-nearing-tipping-point.html)

Soames123 May 15th 04 02:50 AM

[ OT ] Is our climate nearing the tipping point?

A report that argues global warming is a greater threat to world security than
terrorism and predicts a warming future where "disruption and conflict will be
endemic features of life," may sound like it came from a radical environmental
group - but it didn't.
Unless you consider the Pentagon a radical environmental group.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Science/...03/368968.html

RHF May 15th 04 12:12 PM

= = = (Soames123) wrote in message
= = = ...

A report that argues global warming is a greater threat to world
security than terrorism and predicts a warming future where
"disruption and conflict will be endemic features of life,"
may sound like it came from a radical environmental group -
but it didn't.

Unless you consider the Pentagon a radical environmental group.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Science/...03/368968.html

SOAMES 123,

Thank You for:
* Using (OT) in the Subject Line.
* Stating your Point of View.
* Providing a Link for Validation.

To QUOTE you Source:

"Of course, this is the Pentagon talking about worst-case scenarios."

But, David Suzuki does give Us All... Something to Think About !

jm2cw ~ RHF

..

T. Early May 15th 04 03:03 PM

"Soames123" wrote in message

A report that argues global warming is a greater threat to world

security than
terrorism and predicts a warming future where "disruption and

conflict will be
endemic features of life," may sound like it came from a radical

environmental
group - but it didn't.
Unless you consider the Pentagon a radical environmental group.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Science/...03/368968.html

This has been out for awhile but it's legitimate with two
qualifications. The report was not really produced by the Pentagon
per se but by a consultant under a commission. This isn't that big a
deal, but to say it "came from" the Pentagon is a slight stretch.
Second, AFAIK, the report did not say that this degree of global
warming is preventable in the sense that "man-made" (as opposed to
"natural") events are driving the issue. Expect a lot of attention
to this problem after "The Day After Tomorrow" hits the theaters. I
wonder if Art Bell is getting any points on the net revenue.

Telamon May 15th 04 09:51 PM

In article ,
"T. Early" wrote:

"Soames123" wrote in message

[...]

You have to be a total nut-case to argue global warming is man made.
There is billions of watts of energy going in and out of the atmosphere
on a daily basis that eventually determines the air temperature. Man's
energy output and use is negligible by comparison. Changes in the
atmospheric chemistry are natural and changes in climate are natural
whatever direction it is going.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

David May 16th 04 05:21 PM

Is that your mantra?

Carbon dioxide in the atmosphere has been going pretty radically up
since we started burning coal. Patterns is the last 600 years are
unique. They do not have historical precedent that we can discern
from ice and geological records.

Regardless, if we are near the tipping point, it's way too late to
reverse the inevitable. Man, we live in interesting times!

Diverd4777 May 16th 04 06:04 PM

Well, tel, you 'd better put George
( "Hi , My Names, George, I'm An Alchoholic") Bush
and his administration in the total nut-case column;

They admit they have found sections in The Bible that show Greenhouse Gases
deforestation and other activitied of man are
very suspect affecting our climate worldwide.

Dan

In article ,

Subject: [ OT ] Is our climate nearing the tipping point?

m II May 16th 04 06:48 PM

wrote:

You have to be a total nut-case to argue global warming is man made.
There is billions of watts of energy going in and out of the atmosphere
on a daily basis that eventually determines the air temperature. Man's
energy output and use is negligible by comparison. Changes in the
atmospheric chemistry are natural and changes in climate are natural
whatever direction it is going.

There may be a problem with the oceans absorbing co2. When the water
gets warmer it can hold less gas in solution. If it ever starts giving
OFF this stored gas, we're doomed, as the cyle will be self perpetuating.

The above hypothesis is not at this site, but some good numbers,
regardless.

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/2002...mancarbon.html

Add water vapor to the mix and the problem compounds exponentially

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/New...104254688.html

mike

Diverd4777 May 16th 04 07:13 PM

Yeah, evidence around the world from Coral die -off indicates the water temp is
Rising;
- - Which Means tha it's load of Dissolved Gases will be headed into the
Atmosphere.
Coral skeleton disintegration will release more CO2 into the surrounding
water..
Accelerating CO2 content of the Atmosphere..
- AND

( We're Doomed... )

- Either that or just Pump More Oil to Burn to either Warm Us Up ( Cooling /
Ice Age)
Or Cool Us Down
& Pump the water elsewhere ( Warming trend / Rising Sea Level)

- So , Thanks to our Good Freinds Who Supply The Oil,
you really don't have a thing to worry about..

In article EPNpc.10767$RM.5570@edtnps89, m II

From: m II
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 17:48:20 GMT

wrote:

You have to be a total nut-case to argue global warming is man made.
There is billions of watts of energy going in and out of the atmosphere
on a daily basis that eventually determines the air temperature. Man's
energy output and use is negligible by comparison. Changes in the
atmospheric chemistry are natural and changes in climate are natural
whatever direction it is going.

There may be a problem with the oceans absorbing co2. When the water
gets warmer it can hold less gas in solution. If it ever starts giving
OFF this stored gas, we're doomed, as the cyle will be self perpetuating.

The above hypothesis is not at this site, but some good numbers,
regardless.

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/2002...mancarbon.html

Add water vapor to the mix and the problem compounds exponentially

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/New...0104254688.htm

mike

Michael Bryant May 16th 04 09:10 PM

From: "Stinger"

Do a Nexus search. You'll see that in the 1970's that the fear was "Global
Cooling." It was actually a cover story for Time magazine.

And you'll see that that research was sponsored by the CIA to counter global
warming scientists who were starting to emerge in the early 70's. Some of the
reports even encouraged CO2 emissions to "balance out" cooling trends. Do a
search on a guy named Idso.

Interestingly, the latest models of greenhouse dynamics actually do predict
localized cooling trends as warmer ocean temperatures disrupt traditional
oceanic currents. Scientists studying greenhouse dynamics have long predicted
an ice age in Europe from the disruption of the North Atlantic current.

The consenus among reputable scientists on greenhouse warming is overwhelming.

Michael Bryant, WA4009SWL
Louisville, KY
R75, S800, RX320, SW77, ICF2010K,
DX398, 7600G, 6800W, RF2200, 7600A
GE SRll, Pro-2006, Pro-2010, Pro-76
(remove "nojunk" to reply)

N8KDV May 16th 04 09:34 PM

Michael 'I can't figure out exactly which issue to push, but as long as it's

From: "Stinger"

Do a Nexus search. You'll see that in the 1970's that the fear was "Global
Cooling." It was actually a cover story for Time magazine.

And you'll see that that research was sponsored by the CIA to counter global
warming scientists who were starting to emerge in the early 70's. Some of the
reports even encouraged CO2 emissions to "balance out" cooling trends. Do a
search on a guy named Idso.

Interestingly, the latest models of greenhouse dynamics actually do predict
localized cooling trends as warmer ocean temperatures disrupt traditional
oceanic currents. Scientists studying greenhouse dynamics have long predicted
an ice age in Europe from the disruption of the North Atlantic current.

The consenus among reputable scientists on greenhouse warming is overwhelming.

Gee, I wonder how many of them have lied about their PhD's?

N8KDV May 16th 04 09:38 PM

Michael 'I don't know how many trash degrees I have, but it's a bunch. And what I

From: "Stinger"

Do a Nexus search. You'll see that in the 1970's that the fear was "Global
Cooling." It was actually a cover story for Time magazine.

And you'll see that that research was sponsored by the CIA to counter global
warming scientists who were starting to emerge in the early 70's. Some of the
reports even encouraged CO2 emissions to "balance out" cooling trends. Do a
search on a guy named Idso.

Interestingly, the latest models of greenhouse dynamics actually do predict
localized cooling trends as warmer ocean temperatures disrupt traditional
oceanic currents. Scientists studying greenhouse dynamics have long predicted
an ice age in Europe from the disruption of the North Atlantic current.

The consenus among reputable scientists on greenhouse warming is overwhelming.

Is there anything the Fat Boy doesn't know or can't expound upon?

Simply amazing for a guy who had to lie about a PhD.

John Barnard May 16th 04 10:26 PM

Depends on the pH of the water. Disintegration would occur far more readily in
water that is acidic and would occur much more slowly in alkaline water. Unless
there is a tramatic alteration in the pH of the oceans and that is unlikely as CO2
dissolved in water can form a slightly alkaline buffer then I wouldn't think that
CO2 released from coral skeletons would be a big problem.

Regards

John Barnard

N8KDV May 16th 04 11:00 PM

Dan wrote:

On 16 May 2004 20:10:55 GMT, ocom (Michael Bryant)
wrote:

The consenus among reputable scientists on greenhouse warming is overwhelming.

Only if you define "reputable scientists" as "those who believe in
greenhouse warming".

And in MWB's world, those are the only scientists there are.

Diverd4777 May 16th 04 11:18 PM

Dan:

- Can you Please Provide us with a list of Scientists ( Sans Bible Beaters )

Who Do NOT believe in Global Warming

Please... Name Some Names..

Thanks
Dan

In article , Dan

From: Dan
Date: 16 May 2004 16:55:05 -0500

wrote:

The consenus among reputable scientists on greenhouse warming is

overwhelming.

Only if you define "reputable scientists" as "those who believe in
greenhouse warming".

Dan

Grundig S800, S650, S700, YB400, YB550PE
Degen DE1102, Kaito KA1102
Drake R8, Radio Shack DX-440
Hallicrafters S-120 (1962)
Zenith black dial 5 tube Tombstone (1937)
E. H. Scott 23 tube Imperial Allwave in Tasman cabinet (1936)

Telamon May 16th 04 11:26 PM

In article ,
ocom (Michael Bryant) King of Trolls scribbled:

From: "Stinger"

Do a Nexus search. You'll see that in the 1970's that the fear was "Global
Cooling." It was actually a cover story for Time magazine.

And you'll see that that research was sponsored by the CIA to counter global
warming scientists who were starting to emerge in the early 70's. Some of the
reports even encouraged CO2 emissions to "balance out" cooling trends. Do a
search on a guy named Idso.

Interestingly, the latest models of greenhouse dynamics actually do predict
localized cooling trends as warmer ocean temperatures disrupt traditional
oceanic currents. Scientists studying greenhouse dynamics have long predicted
an ice age in Europe from the disruption of the North Atlantic current.

The consenus among reputable scientists on greenhouse warming is overwhelming.

Not true. More BS from the king of Trolls. The only thing overwhelming
is your fabricating.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Telamon May 16th 04 11:31 PM

In article , John Barnard
wrote:

Depends on the pH of the water. Disintegration would occur far more
readily in water that is acidic and would occur much more slowly in
alkaline water. Unless there is a tramatic alteration in the pH of
the oceans and that is unlikely as CO2 dissolved in water can form a
slightly alkaline buffer then I wouldn't think that CO2 released from
coral skeletons would be a big problem.

That is just part of the explanation for the very complex system of
gases, temperatures, currents and chemical composition of the oceans.
The oceans are a large part but still a portion of climate stability.
The jury is still out on what is going to happen 10, 50 or 500 years
from now.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

John Barnard May 16th 04 11:50 PM

It's not the man-made energy output that is directly causing the problem.
It is the man-made greenhouse gas emissions that are the problem. CO2
emissions are causing the atmosphere to behave somewhat as a two-way mirror
in that energy can still get in easily enough but re-radiation from earth
back into space decreases. It doesn't take much of an increase in CO2
levels to decrease the rate of re-radiation.

Regards

John Barnard

John Barnard May 17th 04 12:18 AM

I agree that it is impossible to predict what will happen 10, 50 or 100
years from now. This entire globe is one great big "mess" of complex
chemistry and reactions and the best models aren't that great at predicting
how the biosphere responds to a single input let alone to all the things
that happen simultaneously.

However, it is known that a single catastrophic event can have dire
climatic effects. For example, the quantity of material tossed out by
Krakatoa in 1883 had world-wide effects on climate. Such a large quantity
of material tossed into the atmosphere does cut down on the amount of
sunlight getting in and cooling tend to follow such tremendous volcanic
eruptions. From such observations came the idea that multiple nuclear
explosions would result in a nuclear winter.

I also have no doubt that mankind is very good at destroying or negatively
altering the earth's ecosystems. Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) can destroy
ozone quite readily and they destroy ozone in a quasi-catalytic manner (ie.
CFCs can eventually be consumed during the process of ozone destruction).

I would also think that dumping tonnes of CO2 into the atmosphere,
potentially beyond the capabilities of the biosphere to handle it, is also
quite self-destructive.

Regards

John Barnard

David May 17th 04 12:18 AM

Only a small lunatic fringe of real climatologists dispute that we are
in a period of rather dramatic warming.

The question about whether it's human or cyclical may never be
answered. If I lived in New Orleans or Huntington Beach, I'd move.

Michael Bryant May 17th 04 01:39 AM

From: (Diverd4777)

- Can you Please Provide us with a list of Scientists ( Sans Bible Beaters )

Who Do NOT believe in Global Warming

Please... Name Some Names..

There are many, though not nearly the same number that support that CO2
emissions are increasing global temperatures. Close scrutiny will reveal that
most of the scientists denying global warning have their research funded by
groups that want to deny the connection,ie, oil companies and business groups.

Michael Bryant May 17th 04 01:44 AM

From: N8KDV

Only if you define "reputable scientists" as "those who believe in
greenhouse warming".

And in MWB's world, those are the only scientists there are.

No, there are plenty of scientists producing findings that will enhance their
research subsidies. Interestingly, most of the research that denies global
warming can be traced to subsidies coming from yje oil industry.

But, what am I thinking?! I'm trying to be rational with Steve "Better Grip on
Reality" Lare.

Diverd4777 May 17th 04 02:12 AM

- Interesting Article:

"Aliens Cause Global Warming"

http://adsl-68-88-67-252.dsl.rcsntx....s/chriton.html

A lecture by Michael Crichton
Caltech Michelin Lecture
January 17, 2003

He raises valid points about Consensus, and treatment of scientists
who find evidence that goes against the mainstream.
Eventually
Suggesting a " Double Bind" scientific methodology
for Global Climate Models..
Such as is currently used in Drug tests..

In article ,

From:
ocom (Michael Bryant)

Diverd4777 May 17th 04 02:25 AM

Scientist Statement
World Scientists' Warning to Humanity
(1992)
Some 1,700 of the world's leading scientists, including the majority of Nobel
laureates in the sciences, issued this appeal in November 1992. The World
Scientists' Warning to Humanity was written and spearheaded by the late Henry
Kendall, former chair of UCS's board of directors.

http://www.ucsusa.org/ucs/about/page.cfm?pageID=1009

Michael Bryant May 17th 04 02:29 AM

From: Dan

Of course, the scientists who believe in global warming have *no* axes
to grind, right? All of them are pure and true, right? Who is
paying for *their* research?

Why don't you tell us? Rich liberals?

Corruption in scientific research goes both ways, and it's extremely
disingenuous of you (at best) to imply otherwise.

The consensus of research supports global warming. The research that doesn't is
usually tied to oil companies. You figure it out.

Michael Bryant May 17th 04 03:07 AM

From: Dan

On 17 May 2004 01:29:00 GMT,
ocom (Michael Bryant)
wrote:

The consensus of research supports global warming. The research that doesn't

is
usually tied to oil companies. You figure it out.

Interesting how you "know" that " The research that doesn't is
usually tied to oil companies", yet you don't seem to know who is
paying for the "The consensus of research supports global warming"

I spent a whole year researching the topic when it was the intercollegiate
debate topic. As DiverDan's earlier post pointed out, the vast majority of
related scientists have agreed that the link is overwhelming. Research
supporting the link comes from a variety of sources, mainly regular funding
sources drawn from institutional basic research budgets. The research denying
the links is primarily funded by oil companies.

By the way, few of the nation's best intercollegiate debaters could defend the
negative research. Wake Forest won a national championship defending the
quality of the research supporting the link.

When you examine all the studies, it's a fairly one-sided issue. But not if you
rely on Rush Limbaugh to interpret scientific studies!

Though I understand that his pharmacological research credentials are
outstanding!

N8KDV May 17th 04 05:26 AM

From: Dan

On 17 May 2004 01:29:00 GMT,
ocom (Michael Bryant)
wrote:

[...]

And so are yours, Fat Boy... you are a drug abuser.

Telamon May 17th 04 06:11 AM

In article , John Barnard
wrote:

It's not the man-made energy output that is directly causing the
problem. It is the man-made greenhouse gas emissions that are the
problem. CO2 emissions are causing the atmosphere to behave somewhat
as a two-way mirror in that energy can still get in easily enough but
re-radiation from earth back into space decreases. It doesn't take
much of an increase in CO2 levels to decrease the rate of
re-radiation.

snip

The problem is most man-made energy generates CO2 and some people who
think to simplistically think the atmospheric increase is due to man.
This is unproven.

Also unproven is that the increase in CO2 will cause global
temperatures.

Earth climate is a very complex system where a change in one variable
will not necessarily force the system in one direction. Just because the
CO2 is going up does not mean global temperatures will rise.

If you are willing to jump to conclusions like the King of Trolls has
on this newsgroup then be my guest.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Telamon May 17th 04 06:13 AM

In article ,

From: Dan

Of course, the scientists who believe in global warming have *no* axes
to grind, right? All of them are pure and true, right? Who is
paying for *their* research?

Why don't you tell us? Rich liberals?

Yeah rick liberals like Kerry that own 3 SUVs. Oh yeah his FAMILY owns
the SUVs not him.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Telamon May 17th 04 06:15 AM

In article ,

From: "Stinger"

Do a Nexus search. You'll see that in the 1970's that the fear was
"Global Cooling." It was actually a cover story for Time magazine.

And you'll see that that research was sponsored by the CIA to counter
global warming scientists who were starting to emerge in the early
70's. Some of the reports even encouraged CO2 emissions to "balance
out" cooling trends. Do a search on a guy named Idso.

Interestingly, the latest models of greenhouse dynamics actually do
predict localized cooling trends as warmer ocean temperatures disrupt
traditional oceanic currents. Scientists studying greenhouse dynamics
have long predicted an ice age in Europe from the disruption of the
North Atlantic current.

The consenus among reputable scientists on greenhouse warming is
overwhelming.

The only thing overwhelming is your ignorance but you are great
entertainment.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Telamon May 17th 04 06:17 AM

wrote:

The consenus among reputable scientists on greenhouse warming is
overwhelming.

Only if you define "reputable scientists" as "those who believe in
greenhouse warming".

And in MWB's world, those are the only scientists there are.

He just dreams of a warmer and wetter climate better for pot growing.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Telamon May 17th 04 06:22 AM

In article ,

From: Dan

On 17 May 2004 01:29:00 GMT,
ocom (Michael Bryant)
wrote:

The consensus of research supports global warming. The research that
doesn't

is
usually tied to oil companies. You figure it out.

Interesting how you "know" that " The research that doesn't is
usually tied to oil companies", yet you don't seem to know who is
paying for the "The consensus of research supports global warming"

I spent a whole year researching the topic when it was the intercollegiate
debate topic. As DiverDan's earlier post pointed out, the vast majority of
related scientists have agreed that the link is overwhelming. Research
supporting the link comes from a variety of sources, mainly regular funding
sources drawn from institutional basic research budgets. The research denying
the links is primarily funded by oil companies.

You are a complete fabricating lier. More than a year ago there was no
conclusive data that showed the global temperature going up so how could
any research last year have that conclusion. What a lier.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Telamon May 17th 04 06:23 AM

In article ,
ocom (Michael Bryant) wrote:

From:
(Diverd4777)

- Can you Please Provide us with a list of Scientists ( Sans Bible
Beaters )

Who Do NOT believe in Global Warming

Please... Name Some Names..

There are many, though not nearly the same number that support that
CO2 emissions are increasing global temperatures. Close scrutiny will
reveal that most of the scientists denying global warning have their
research funded by groups that want to deny the connection,ie, oil
companies and business groups.

Well you lie about everything so where do you get your money from?

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

RHF May 17th 04 10:38 AM

MWB,

? Consensus ?

The Majority View Point ? {A Opinion 'held' by the Majority ?}

Most Americans 'believe' in "A God" !
- MWB - Do You Recognize and Respect their Consensus ?
- What Say You MWB ? - Let it be a simple "Yes" or "No".

Most Americans 'love' their Country "America" {Our Homeland} !
- MWB - Do You Recognize and Respect their Consensus ?
- What Say You MWB ? - Let it be a simple "Yes" or "No".

MWB - Do You just simply pick and choose only those "Consensuses"
that 'fit' your One World Liberal ELITIST Socialist Views ? ? ? ?

MWB - Can You simply be Honest and Admit:
- That Your Personal View Point is "One World"
[ Vice 'being' an American First. ]
- That You are a Liberal.
- That You are an Elitist.
- That You are basically a Socialist (Ultra-Liberal-Democrat}.
MWB - Let Your Answers be a simple "Yes" or "No".

What Say You MWB? - America - Nay, The World Awaits Your Answers MWB !

I Want To Know ~ RHF
..
..
= = = ...

Diverd4777 May 17th 04 12:04 PM

There is no " Proof" in this kind of Science,
only a " Working Hypootheses"
Here's a web site you might like;

a voice for Business in the Global Warming Debate"

http://www.globalclimate.org/

Dan / NYC

In article ,

Diverd4777 May 17th 04 03:41 PM

C'mon Tel:
Your an intelligent man..

- Give us some DATA supporting
your contention of
" Global Warming Is a Leftist Liberal Tax And Spend Media Hoax, Corrupting the
Morals Of Our Youth"
- or whatever..
Giv us a link to
JUST ONE ARTICLE supporting the
"No Global Warming" viewpoint ( Sans Bible Beaters.)

Just one..
Thanks

Dan / NYC

( Watching the Hamptons Wash Away... )

Michael Bryant May 17th 04 08:04 PM

From: Dan

Though I understand that his pharmacological research credentials are
outstanding!

Not as good as yours, however.

I can guarantee you that Rush's pharmacological research skills far exceed my
own!

N8KDV May 17th 04 08:06 PM

From: Dan

Though I understand that his pharmacological research credentials are
outstanding!

Not as good as yours, however.

I can guarantee you that Rush's pharmacological research skills far exceed my
own!

You are in no position to guarantee anything, liar boy.

Michael Bryant May 17th 04 08:07 PM

From: (Diverd4777)

C'mon Tel:
Your an intelligent man..

I used to think that, also. His latest posts suggest a recent lobotomy.