Old May 15th 04, 02:50 AM
Soames123

Default [ OT ] Is our climate nearing the tipping point?

A report that argues global warming is a greater threat to world security than
terrorism and predicts a warming future where "disruption and conflict will be
endemic features of life," may sound like it came from a radical environmental
group - but it didn't.
Unless you consider the Pentagon a radical environmental group.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Science/...03/368968.html
Old May 15th 04, 12:12 PM
RHF

= = = (Soames123) wrote in message
= = = ...

A report that argues global warming is a greater threat to world
security than terrorism and predicts a warming future where
"disruption and conflict will be endemic features of life,"
may sound like it came from a radical environmental group -
but it didn't.

Unless you consider the Pentagon a radical environmental group.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Science/...03/368968.html

SOAMES 123,

Thank You for:
* Using (OT) in the Subject Line.
* Stating your Point of View.
* Providing a Link for Validation.

To QUOTE you Source:

"Of course, this is the Pentagon talking about worst-case scenarios."

But, David Suzuki does give Us All... Something to Think About !

jm2cw ~ RHF

..
Old May 15th 04, 03:03 PM
T. Early

"Soames123" wrote in message

A report that argues global warming is a greater threat to world

security than
terrorism and predicts a warming future where "disruption and

conflict will be
endemic features of life," may sound like it came from a radical

environmental
group - but it didn't.
Unless you consider the Pentagon a radical environmental group.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Science/...03/368968.html

This has been out for awhile but it's legitimate with two
qualifications. The report was not really produced by the Pentagon
per se but by a consultant under a commission. This isn't that big a
deal, but to say it "came from" the Pentagon is a slight stretch.
Second, AFAIK, the report did not say that this degree of global
warming is preventable in the sense that "man-made" (as opposed to
"natural") events are driving the issue. Expect a lot of attention
to this problem after "The Day After Tomorrow" hits the theaters. I
wonder if Art Bell is getting any points on the net revenue.

Old May 15th 04, 09:51 PM
Telamon

In article ,
"T. Early" wrote:

"Soames123" wrote in message

[...]

You have to be a total nut-case to argue global warming is man made.
There is billions of watts of energy going in and out of the atmosphere
on a daily basis that eventually determines the air temperature. Man's
energy output and use is negligible by comparison. Changes in the
atmospheric chemistry are natural and changes in climate are natural
whatever direction it is going.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old May 16th 04, 05:21 PM
David

Is that your mantra?

Carbon dioxide in the atmosphere has been going pretty radically up
since we started burning coal. Patterns is the last 600 years are
unique. They do not have historical precedent that we can discern
from ice and geological records.

Regardless, if we are near the tipping point, it's way too late to
reverse the inevitable. Man, we live in interesting times!

Old May 16th 04, 06:04 PM
Diverd4777

Well, tel, you 'd better put George
( "Hi , My Names, George, I'm An Alchoholic") Bush
and his administration in the total nut-case column;

They admit they have found sections in The Bible that show Greenhouse Gases
deforestation and other activitied of man are
very suspect affecting our climate worldwide.

Dan

In article ,

Subject: [ OT ] Is our climate nearing the tipping point?

Old May 16th 04, 06:48 PM
m II

wrote:

You have to be a total nut-case to argue global warming is man made.
There is billions of watts of energy going in and out of the atmosphere
on a daily basis that eventually determines the air temperature. Man's
energy output and use is negligible by comparison. Changes in the
atmospheric chemistry are natural and changes in climate are natural
whatever direction it is going.

There may be a problem with the oceans absorbing co2. When the water
gets warmer it can hold less gas in solution. If it ever starts giving
OFF this stored gas, we're doomed, as the cyle will be self perpetuating.

The above hypothesis is not at this site, but some good numbers,
regardless.

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/2002...mancarbon.html

Add water vapor to the mix and the problem compounds exponentially

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/New...104254688.html

mike
Old May 16th 04, 07:13 PM
Diverd4777

Yeah, evidence around the world from Coral die -off indicates the water temp is
Rising;
- - Which Means tha it's load of Dissolved Gases will be headed into the
Atmosphere.
Coral skeleton disintegration will release more CO2 into the surrounding
water..
Accelerating CO2 content of the Atmosphere..
- AND

( We're Doomed... )

- Either that or just Pump More Oil to Burn to either Warm Us Up ( Cooling /
Ice Age)
Or Cool Us Down
& Pump the water elsewhere ( Warming trend / Rising Sea Level)

- So , Thanks to our Good Freinds Who Supply The Oil,
you really don't have a thing to worry about..

In article EPNpc.10767$RM.5570@edtnps89, m II

Old May 16th 04, 08:55 PM
Stinger

Do a Nexus search. You'll see that in the 1970's that the fear was "Global
Cooling." It was actually a cover story for Time magazine.

-- Stinger

From: m II
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 17:48:20 GMT

wrote:

You have to be a total nut-case to argue global warming is man made.
There is billions of watts of energy going in and out of the atmosphere
on a daily basis that eventually determines the air temperature. Man's
energy output and use is negligible by comparison. Changes in the
atmospheric chemistry are natural and changes in climate are natural
whatever direction it is going.

There may be a problem with the oceans absorbing co2. When the water
gets warmer it can hold less gas in solution. If it ever starts giving
OFF this stored gas, we're doomed, as the cyle will be self perpetuating.

The above hypothesis is not at this site, but some good numbers,
regardless.

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/2002...mancarbon.html

Add water vapor to the mix and the problem compounds exponentially

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/New...0104254688.htm

mike