Old May 15th 04, 03:39 AM
GO BEARCATS

Default Now I Have a Decision To Make...............

Last thread I'll 'start' on this subject, after reading that link
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze20h45/r...ch.html#extant

It finally hit me, it's a 'stereo headphone' jack. I just happened to have one
of them.....actually more than one. Do I do it 'right'.....I mean it's working
fine right now with that adapter.

The only 'difference' it'd make (and I don't think it'd make that much of a
difference, because can hear BCB on it now) is that it 'eliminates' the MW part
of the spectrum. But I hear it anyhow, and if I do serious BCB dxing, it
wouldn't be hooked to a long wire anyhow, I'd be using (more than likely) the
30x30 Diamond Loop and table.

Ahhhh, what to do...lol...I can't believe it never hit me that it was a
HEADPHONE jack for an external antenna, I never heard of that before.sigh

~^Monitoring The Spectrum^~
Hammarlund HQ129X /Heathkit Q Multiplier
Hammarlund HQ140X
Multiple GE P-780's(GREAT BCB Radios)
RCA Victor *Strato- World*
RCA Victor RJC77W-K(Walnut Grain)
1942 Zenith Wave Magnet 6G 601M
Cathedral/ Ross#2311/Rhapsody-MultiBand
DX100/394/*SUPER*398/399/402
OMGS Transistor Eight/Realistic 12-1451
Henry Kloss Model One/Bell+Howell
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Alpha Delta DX Sloper 57ft.
500ft. 12AWG. (non-terminated)
120ft. 12 AWG Long-Wire
2 Radio Shack Loop Antennas
Radio Shack Amplified Antenna
30X30 DiamondLoop(six section 830pf Cap)
* Diamond Loop mounted to Lazy Susan TurnTable*
*21/2X2ft.FiveSpoked~Penta-Loop~PancakeLoop*

Old May 15th 04, 04:19 AM
m II

GO BEARCATS wrote:
Last thread I'll 'start' on this subject, after reading that link
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze20h45/r...ch.html#extant

It finally hit me, it's a 'stereo headphone' jack.

Ahhhh, what to do...lol...I can't believe it never hit me that it was a
HEADPHONE jack for an external antenna, I never heard of that before.sigh

Perhaps you read it in my earlier post to you? Time to check that
prescription!

A copy below:

I'm not sure about your problem. On the 398, when you plug in the short
wave antenna into the 1/8 jack, the ferrite bar (AM) gets shorted out.
This site shows how to use a *stereo* jack to enable both medium wave
*and* short wave antennas on the 1/8 inch jack.

The RCA jack that you had put on the back must be for SW only.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze20h45/r...ch.html#extant

I'm not sure if this helps. Let me know..

Some other sites

http://www.radiointel.com/review-sangeansuper909.htm
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze20h45/r...n/909mods.html
Old May 15th 04, 05:07 AM
Gray Shockley

On Fri, 14 May 2004 21:39:24 -0500, GO BEARCATS wrote
(in article ):

Ahhhh, what to do...lol...I can't believe it never hit me that it was a
HEADPHONE jack for an external antenna, I never heard of that before.sigh

Yup. This has been discussed for years on here.

It is pretty oddball but, as a matter of fact, it does make some
sorta sense (although I, personally, would prefer two "mono"
jacks grin).

It's items such as this that force me to keep an assortment of
barrier terminal strips in ye ole junque boxe.

Gray Shockley
----------------
DX-392 DX-398
RX-320 DX-399
CCradio+ w/RS Loop
Justice AM Antenna
Torus Tuner (3-13 MHz)
Select-A-Tenna
---------------------
Vicksburg, MS US

Old May 15th 04, 06:15 AM
GO BEARCATS

Perhaps you read it in my earlier post to you? Time to check that
prescription!

I know. That's why I reposted your link, I had saw that in the FAQ a while
back, but it just never 'connected'........it being a headphone jack for an
extern antenna.

Check *your* script. ;-)

You didn't give me an answer though to this thread. :-P

Thanks though for making it clear to me, sheesh .....gotta hit me over the
head.

BTW 68900510UCT big ole' open carrier, been that way for at least ten minutes.
Time to grab the Passport or ILG, almost like they're keeping the transmitter
warmed up or something.........just put the phones on and hear some talking
wayyyyyy out there and it's not coming from any adjacent freqs. {?}

Old May 15th 04, 06:18 AM
GO BEARCATS

It's items such as this that force me to keep an assortment of
barrier terminal strips in ye ole junque boxe.

barrier terminal strips? what's that? Ah, on that freq 6890 is now a preacher.
Thought it was Stair there for a sec. ;-) Is that Stair? This modded receiver
does sound different, it doesn't sound like Stairs style.

Old May 15th 04, 06:32 AM
m II

GO BEARCATS wrote:

Check *your* script. ;-)

You didn't give me an answer though to this thread. :-P

Thanks though for making it clear to me, sheesh .....gotta hit me over the
head.

I know that feeling. Mine is plenty bumpy..

mike
Old May 15th 04, 11:03 AM
RHF

DX Luver,

Read "Sangean ATS-909 RadioLabs RCA Antenna Modification
- How It Works
- Why It Works

..

REMEMBER: "The Shortwave Antenna is 55.5% of the . . .
Radio/Receiver and Antenna/Ground Reception Equation"
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...na/message/288
A Shortwave Antenna is "Equally" Important for Good Reception [.]
..
..
Some Say: On A Clear Day You Can See Forever.
I BELIEVE: On A Clear Night...
You Can Hear Forever and Beyond - The Beyond !
..
..
iane ~ RHF
..
..
= = = ...

Old May 18th 04, 06:15 AM
GO BEARCATS

RHF,
I've read EVERYTHING there is on it. Bottom line:I went back to my original
setup using my permanent sleeve on my stock ext.antenna jack.

I have tried both, the proper ways and at least for my QTH it isn't even close
(as many agree in the 398 yahoo group) I pickup wayyyyyyyy more stations and
the S/N ratio is way better than with the rca jack.

No big deal, just another'mod' done for 'whatever' reason. It may be better for
ones living on top of each other or have electrical towers in their yard, but I
live out in the country and away from hardly an rf problems at all.

I'm VERY pleased now the way it is. :-)

~^Monitoring The Spectrum^~
Hammarlund HQ129X /Heathkit Q Multiplier
Hammarlund HQ140X
Multiple GE P-780's(GREAT BCB Radios)
RCA Victor *Strato- World*
RCA Victor RJC77W-K(Walnut Grain)
1942 Zenith Wave Magnet 6G 601M
Cathedral/ Ross#2311/Rhapsody-MultiBand
DX100/394/*SUPER*398/399/402
OMGS Transistor Eight/Realistic 12-1451
Henry Kloss Model One/Bell+HowellSW
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Alpha Delta DX Sloper 57ft.
500ft. 12AWG. (non-terminated)
120ft. 12 AWG Long-Wire
2 Radio Shack Loop Antennas
Radio Shack Amplified Antenna
30X30 DiamondLoop(six section 830pf Cap)
* Diamond Loop mounted to Lazy Susan TurnTable*
*21/2X2ft.FiveSpoked~Penta-Loop~PancakeLoop*
~OptimusCTR-111Cassettte Recorder~
~Radio Shack 2Speed VOX#43-476~
~Ramsey Speech Scrambler~

New ARRL Proposal N2EY Policy 331 March 4th 04 12:02 AM
MAKE 5000.00 PER WEEK ShowTimeHydros Antenna 1 December 11th 03 11:21 PM