Old May 17th 04, 02:59 AM
Jim

Default Decoding Morse Code

Hi all,

Receiver = Sony ICF-2010 with random wire antenna

I can hear lots of dots-dashes transmissions on various frequencies
loud and clear. I would like to know if I can attach something on the
audio output to decode the morse code. Any info would be appreciated.
TIA.

Jim
Old May 17th 04, 03:19 AM
Brian Hill

"Jim" wrote in message
om...
Hi all,

Receiver = Sony ICF-2010 with random wire antenna

I can hear lots of dots-dashes transmissions on various frequencies
loud and clear. I would like to know if I can attach something on the
audio output to decode the morse code. Any info would be appreciated.
TIA.

Jim

Theres many types of hardware and software that can do the job. I use an
Info-Tech M-6000 & an Universal M-8000. The M-6000 can usually be had for
less than $150 and theres several other smaller units like the Universal
M-400 and MFJ makes some cheapo boxes which are $100 or less. Theres some
expensive software like Hoka Code 3 that are very good but expect to pay
over $300.
--
73 and good DXing.
Brian

Old May 17th 04, 07:11 AM
Matti Ponkamo

"Jim" kirjoitti viestissä
om...
Hi all,
Receiver = Sony ICF-2010 with random wire antenna
I can hear lots of dots-dashes transmissions on various frequencies
loud and clear. I would like to know if I can attach something on the
audio output to decode the morse code. Any info would be appreciated.
TIA.
Jim

The cheapest but by no means easiest way is to learn morse.
It took me about one week to learn and about four months to achieve the
speed
of 140 "letters" per minute. I was 19 years old those days, though.

Matti Ponkamo OH1GPU, Naantali, Finland

Old May 17th 04, 07:30 AM
krackula

there are tons of software morse code decoders. to use these you
need nothing more than your computer , the software and your
soundcard. search Google for a zillion hits or try this site for
what you want :

http://www.qsl.net/k8zt/morse.html

k....................

Old May 17th 04, 07:42 AM
J999w

Save your cash and pipe the audio into your computer and use some freeware. The
decoders won't get it letter perfect if it's being hand sent, but it's a start
!

Have fun!

jw
K9RZZ
Old May 18th 04, 08:15 AM
WShoots1

It took me about one week to learn and about four months to achieve the
speed of 140 "letters" per minute.

Very good! That's about 23 wpm. If they were random characters, that's
equivalent to about 28 wpm.

Just committing the letters, numbers, and common punctuation to memory will
automatically make one able to receive 5 wpm.

Bill, K5BY