Old May 23rd 04, 06:23 AM
Brenda Ann Dyer

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article .net,
"Stephen M.H. Lawrence" wrote:

"Frank Dresser" wrote
| AM IBOC has been around for a year or two, and it's still something of

| novelty. It doesn't seem to be taking off as quickly as AM Stereo,

and
| there aren't many receivers available, yet.

I've read the "pro and con" editorials in Radio World and some of the
other trade rags, but every single editorialist misses the following

point:

Sound quality is not the problem. PROGRAMMING is the problem.
We probably shouldn't rely on anecdotal evidence, but everyone I know
will put up with natural and manmade noise to hear their favorite shows.

Come to think of it, there's no evidence that DRM or IBOC have anything
close to a robust noise - fighting system. I imagine a good

thunderstorm
will cause dropped packets and receiver muting.

Another problem is multiple layering of compression and expansion
codec schemes. Has anyone listened to a (usually) decent - quality
AM plant that is transmitting supercompressed talk show audio
at a bandwidth of 5 KHZ with a low, low, low bitrate? Something
along the lines of 8 to 16 KHz bitrate? That fact alone puts the lie
to the digital pushers' rants about "Audio quality."

snip

DRM - Deception Radio Mondiale

Another lie is the system is open and contains no proprietary
intellectual property.

It won't be any better under the best of circumstances where you will
trade noise and interference for drop outs.

DRM is a lame scheme.

Digital radio and television are lame schemes, period. To get the same
quality as analog, you have to have a much wider bandwidth in digital.
Encoding schemes are ways of narrowing bandwidth required to broadcast, but
they all have some trade-offs. I've not been impressed with digital
satellite at all. Too much weather related dropout, and too much
pixelization, especially during fast scene transitions..

Old May 23rd 04, 06:30 AM
Frank Dresser

"Ruud Poeze" wrote in message

And that is the whole point.
At this end of the ocean the DRM consortium people really believe in a
replacement of analogue AM broadcasting to digital within "a couple of
years".
AM to FM took almost 40 years, and AM is still on, the advantages to FM
over AM are more spectacular than DRM over AM in a world where also FM
is available and the most popular band.
Actualy DRM is ruining the AM band and I dont like the idea of one
broadcasting band with 2 incompatable modulation systems.
DRM only causes a lot of noise on your receiver and is already
irritating the audience.

ruud

Digital modulation might fit within the same channel bandwidth as an analog
channel, but it's obvious to anyone who listens that it has much more
interference potential. Analog modulation normally puts only a small
percentage of power at the ends of it's allowed bandwidth, and that power is
intermittant. Digital modulation puts as much power at the ends of it's
spectrum as anywhere else, and the noise is continous.

Glenn Hauser has been reading reports from DXers blasting DRM. Among the
most prominent of these DXers is Ralph Brandi.

Frank Dresser

Old May 23rd 04, 11:39 AM
DAB sounds worse than FM

Stephen M.H. Lawrence wrote:

My idea of "High Definition Radio" is a 20-KHz-wide AM
signal, well - modulated.

(See, I spelled kilohertz incorrectly again. Limey Steve at
www.digitalradiotech.co.uk must be shaking with anger!)

If you want to demonstrate that you're an ignorant peasant then that's
completely up to you.

Yanks call Brits "limeys" because there was a shortage of limes on
British ships (about the time we decided to go over and create America),
so sailors died of scurvy apparently. But seeing as British people don't
tend to sail to America in wind-powered ships these days, don't you
think it's a bit of an outdated put-down?

Here's some more up to date put-downs:

* The American people voted George W Bush to be your president, despite
the fact that he clearly has an IQ that would classify him as being
mentally-retarded in the UK.

* You've got Jack Nicholson in his role as The Joker from Batman as your
Defence Secretary, and he's even keeping in character by getting his
underlings to do a bit of torture.

* You're all fat.

73,

Is that your waistline?

DAB sounds worse than FM, Freeview, digital satellite, cable and
broadband internet radio

Old May 23rd 04, 11:43 AM
N8KDV

DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:

Stephen M.H. Lawrence wrote:

[...]

When do you folks plan on repaying that WWII debt that you still owe us?

We could use the money.

Old May 23rd 04, 11:43 AM
DAB sounds worse than FM

Stephen M.H. Lawrence wrote:
"nsj" wrote :
Remember that we have 5.5kHz audio bandwidth AM (if that) for
domestic transmissions -- not the wide bandwidth/stereo services
you're used to in North America.

No wonder Digitalboy

What are you calling me Digitalboy for? I'm certainly no cheerleader for
DAB, quite the opposite. Although I don't write off digital broadcasting
per se, like a few of you seem to have done in this thread without any
good evidence to back up your arguments.

claimed that most radio listeners in the UK
would migrate to FM if given the chance. 5 KHz must sound like
crap.

It does. Digital radio also sounds crap when mis-used, but it can also
sound very good if implemented properly.

Old May 23rd 04, 11:47 AM
nsj

DAB sounds worse than FM wrote:
Yanks call Brits "limeys" because there was a shortage of limes on
British ships (about the time we decided to go over and create America),

Uhm, what about the indigenous population?

--
Now Playing: Matchbox Twenty - Bent [192kbps mp3]
Old May 23rd 04, 12:06 PM
DAB sounds worse than FM

Stephen M.H. Lawrence wrote:
"DAB sounds worse than FM" wrote:

Wowzers, a paid shill for the cellphone audio crowd weighs
in on FM in the UK.

Who the hell cares, Steve - 2? The radio market in the UK
is nowhere near as big a business as it is in the US.

True. Americans are also much bigger than Brits in terms of being fat
*******s.

Now, why don't you go run along and play radio, Digital Boy?

Now, you don't you go run along and play look for your penis beneath the
roles of fat, lardboy?

Old May 23rd 04, 12:08 PM
N8KDV

Stephen M.H. Lawrence wrote:

[...]

And you are ruled by Germans...

That must really **** you off!

Old May 23rd 04, 02:28 PM
Richard L.

In message
"Brenda Ann Dyer" wrote:

Digital radio and television are lame schemes, period. To get the same
quality as analog, you have to have a much wider bandwidth in digital.
Encoding schemes are ways of narrowing bandwidth required to broadcast, but
they all have some trade-offs. I've not been impressed with digital
satellite at all. Too much weather related dropout, and too much
pixelization, especially during fast scene transitions..

If you're getting weather-related drop-outs, it means your dish
installation is inadequate -- not big enough, not pointing in the
right direction, or suffering from water penetration.

--
Richard L.
Old May 23rd 04, 02:57 PM
Ruud Poeze

"Stephen M.H. Lawrence" schreef:

"Ruud Poeze" wrote:
| And that is the whole point.
| At this end of the ocean the DRM consortium people really believe in a
| replacement of analogue AM broadcasting to digital within "a couple of
| years".
| AM to FM took almost 40 years, and AM is still on, the advantages to FM
| over AM are more spectacular than DRM over AM in a world where also FM
| is available and the most popular band.
| Actualy DRM is ruining the AM band and I dont like the idea of one
| broadcasting band with 2 incompatable modulation systems.
| DRM only causes a lot of noise on your receiver and is already
| irritating the audience.
|
| ruud

*very* interesting, Ruud - do you do any listening using
DRM yourself? I wonder how well DRM holds up
when propagation conditions are changing, or perhaps
during severe thunderstorms?

73,

Steve Lawrence
KAØPMD
Burnsville, Minnesota

(NOTE: My email address has only one "dot."
You'll have to edit out the one between the "7"
and the "3" in my email address if you wish to