Old June 14th 04, 09:54 AM
DeWayne

Default Remote Control For Drake R8?

Anyone use a remote for the Drake R8. I was wondering if it's worth the
money.

DeWayne K9KZ

Old June 14th 04, 01:36 PM
Clark Neider

We've been discussing that lately (see thread on June 10.) Some SWL's
prefer to manually tune their R8's (Hi Steve!) I started using Drake's
software on my R8 in 1992 when I was running Windows 3.1 and life was good.
It also worked on Windows 98. The trouble began when I progressed to
Windows 2000. I used Fineware Smart R8 for that and loved it! Alas, I
upgraded to Windows XP and am trying Ergo 4.

I like remote because it's easier to punch keyboard buttons than the one's
on R8's control panel. My 15" LCD is easier to read than the monochrome
Drake panel, memories are more than I'll ever need and easier to sort. The
only feature I miss is rotating the tuning knob.

Which Drake or you listening to and what operating system are you running?
There are compatibility issues with certain combinations of Radio (R8),
control software and operating systems.

Clark KK7DY

Old June 14th 04, 03:08 PM
DeWayne

"Clark Neider" wrote in message
[...]

R8 and XP Pro

Clark KK7DY

Old June 15th 04, 06:18 PM
Clark Neider

We've been discussing that lately (see thread on June 10.) Some SWL's
prefer to manually tune their R8's (Hi Steve!) I started using Drake's
software on my R8 in 1992 when I was running Windows 3.1 and life was

Which Drake or you listening to and what operating system are you

running?
There are compatibility issues with certain combinations of Radio (R8),
control software and operating systems.

R8 and XP Pro

Uh, oh. That's what I'm struggling with here. Let me know what works for
you!

Old June 15th 04, 10:36 PM
Tom2000

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 20:48:02 GMT, "DeWayne" wrote:

Which Drake or you listening to and what operating system are you

running?
There are compatibility issues with certain combinations of Radio

(R8),
control software and operating systems.

R8 and XP Pro

Uh, oh. That's what I'm struggling with here. Let me know what works for
you!

I'll be changing to XP Home soon. I wonder how many different remote systems
there are for the R8. Which are you using?

DeWayne

A year or two ago, I was in the process of converting Scan320 to
drive the R8/R8A/R8B.

I didn't have a Drake receiver at the time, so I was relying upon
feedback from two R8 users, one R8A user, and one R8B user.

I found out a couple of interesting things.

First of all, from the interface standpoint, the R8 is a bit tricky
to drive. And to make things even worse, there are two subtly
different (at the interface) versions of the R8. Just by dumb luck,
my two R8 users had one of each, so (by laborious trial and error) I
was able to adapt my software to accommodate each version. I don't
remember what the basic problem is with the R8, nor what are the
subtle differences, but I can understand why Drake software usually
drives the R8A and R8B, and not the R8.

I learned the second important thing when I finally bought an R8B.
The Drake really rewards you for touching up the passband tuning and
tone controls for each signal you're receiving. Makes a vast
difference. So much so that I found myself jumping up from my
computer postion to the radio position for each signal, just to
fine-tune the radio. Decided that I'd use my RX-320 (with Scan320)
for computer tuning, and leave the R8B for manually-tuned long-term
single-frequency monitoring, and for the little bit of SWBC listening
that I do.

So, if you're running an R8, you might be out of luck, no matter
what O/S you're using.

Very 73,

Tom

(PS - before you ask - I abandoned the ScanR8 project before it was
even ready for a beta release. I don't have anything for
distribution. I don't have a working version of the program, and I'm
not even sure I have the source code. When I put that project in the
box, I *really* put it in the box.)