Old June 18th 04, 02:09 AM
Greg

Default 6315kHz - What is ist?

6315 kHz - choose your mode. What is it? A beacon of some kind? Never
heard this before.

Greg

27.97N 82.00W

Old June 18th 04, 03:05 AM
Patty Winter

In article ,
Greg wrote:
6315 kHz - choose your mode. What is it? A beacon of some kind? Never
heard this before.

I don't know what the data transmission is, but the station is NMN,
which is a Coast Guard station in Virginia. (Sorry if you already
knew that part and were just asking about the three data bursts.)

Patty

Old June 18th 04, 03:29 AM
Patty Winter

BTW, I'm now hearing beacons from NOJ (Coast Guard--Alaska) and
WLO (ship-to-shore, Alabama) under NMN. This is at about 0230 UTC.

Patty

Old June 18th 04, 04:28 AM
Conan Ford

Greg wrote in
:

6315 kHz - choose your mode. What is it? A beacon of some kind?
Never heard this before.

Greg

27.97N 82.00W

http://homepages.donobi.net/nkarc/2003aug.html - near the bottom, under
"Checking HF Propagation":

"Recently, I came across an article in the March, 1996 issue of QST
entitled “Which HF Band is Open“ written by Frank Wolfe, NM7R. The
article describes the Maritime Coastal Stations and their operation.
“These stations are located all over the world, and are used by ships
for commercial radiotelex traffic. The mode used is called Narrow Band
Direct Printing (NBDP) radiotelegraphy. Also called SITOR, this is the
commercial cousin to our AMTOR mode. The ship station operator uses his
transceiver to connect the ship station with the shore station. The
shipboard operator can then use the worldwide Telex network to send
messages to virtually any commercial teletype terminal.

When message traffic is being sent, you’ll hear the familiar chirp sound
as data is transmitted and acknowledged. These sounds are similar to the
AMTOR signals in the amateur digital subbands. When idle, thestations
transmit a marking signal that serves as a propagation beacon for the
shipboard operators. This allows the operators to determine which
stations they can work, and whether a particular station is busy or
available. The marking signal sounds like a purr-purr followed at
intervals of a few seconds with the station’s call sign, usually
composed of three letters, sent in Morse code.

The stations are commercial and run 10 to 15 kW. An amateur signal might
be two to four S units below the strength of the beacon signal. They
transmit within narrow frequency segments: 4.210 to 4.218 MHz, 6.314 to
6.328 MHz, 8.417 to 8.433 MHz, 12.579 to 12.609 MHz, 16.807 to 16.843
MHz, 19.680 to 19.690 MHz, 22.376 to 22.413 MHz and 26.100 to 26.110
MHz."
Old June 18th 04, 12:17 PM
Greg

From: Conan Ford
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 03:28:38 GMT
Subject: 6315kHz - What is ist?

Greg wrote in
:

[...]

Okay, I was aware of the Maritime Coastal Stations and of SITOR. Now I can
attach the sound to the names. The station I heard must have been sending
its idle signal. I did hear another station under it, as Patty indicated.

Good info, thanks!

Greg

Old June 18th 04, 01:44 PM
Al - KA5JGV

"Conan Ford" wrote in message
.159...
The stations are commercial and run 10 to 15 kW. An amateur signal might
be two to four S units below the strength of the beacon signal. They
transmit within narrow frequency segments: 4.210 to 4.218 MHz, 6.314 to
6.328 MHz, 8.417 to 8.433 MHz, 12.579 to 12.609 MHz, 16.807 to 16.843
MHz, 19.680 to 19.690 MHz, 22.376 to 22.413 MHz and 26.100 to 26.110
MHz."

Thanks for the good info and frequencies Conan.

Al KA5JGV
San Antonio, Tx.

Old June 19th 04, 02:56 AM
Jeff Seale

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 02:29:05 GMT, Patty Winter wrote:

BTW, I'm now hearing beacons from NOJ (Coast Guard--Alaska) and
WLO (ship-to-shore, Alabama) under NMN. This is at about 0230 UTC.

Patty

NOJ is a tough one to pick up out here in the midwest (Louisville, KY), but
I have had some success in doing so.

Some other commonly used NMN frequencies a

4316 kHz, 8502 kHz, 12788 kHz

I like to download NOAA weather maps from the USCG every once in a while
when the signal quality is AOK. A typical download of a single map/photo
takes about 10 minutes though but it's still kinda' fun. If you save them
in JPEG or PNG format (SeaTTY, the FAX/RTTY receiver app on my PC prefers
the latter), they won't be too big in terms of file size.

Jeff Seale
Louisville, KY
Satellit800, YB550PE, DX440, BC780, Pro95
Old June 19th 04, 05:47 PM
Jim Shaffer, Jr.

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 01:56:58 GMT, Jeff Seale wrote:

I like to download NOAA weather maps from the USCG every once in a while
when the signal quality is AOK. A typical download of a single map/photo
takes about 10 minutes though but it's still kinda' fun.

The coolest-looking weather fax in North America is from Halifax. A lot of the
maps are still hand-drawn, or were the last time I checked. 4269.1, 6494.5,
10534.1, and 13508.1 kHz. Between charts they run RTTY.

Old June 19th 04, 11:45 PM
Jeff Seale

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 12:47:18 -0400, Jim Shaffer, Jr. wrote:

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 01:56:58 GMT, Jeff Seale wrote:

I like to download NOAA weather maps from the USCG every once in a while
when the signal quality is AOK. A typical download of a single map/photo
takes about 10 minutes though but it's still kinda' fun.

The coolest-looking weather fax in North America is from Halifax. A lot of the
maps are still hand-drawn, or were the last time I checked. 4269.1, 6494.5,
10534.1, and 13508.1 kHz. Between charts they run RTTY.

Those CFH people apparently do 'final edits' on those maps before they're
transmitted, that would explain all the drawings you see on those. CFH also
transmits on 10943 kHz and sends this message:

NAWS DE CFH ZKR F1 WIWW EEOR RQUP YWTR IEPE QWEIP QYTUY WWQIW AR

over and over again only on this particular frequency. Not sure what this
gibberish means though. I know ZKR is a Z signal of some kind, but what's
with the rest of that stuff?