Old June 19th 04, 07:45 PM
mi-oldradios

Default [OT] Moore Film Title Angers Author Bradbury

Moore ;-p lawyers getting rich on this one.

Saturday, June 19, 2004

LOS ANGELES -- An angry Ray Bradbury is demanding an apology from
filmmaker Michael Moore for lifting the title from his classic
science-fiction novel "Fahrenheit 451," for his new documentary
"Fahrenheit 9/11."

"He didn't ask my permission," Bradbury, 83, told The Associated Press
on Friday. "That's not his novel, that's not his title, so he
shouldn't have done it."

(article continues at
http://www.newsmax.com/archives/arti...8/215229.shtml)

Old June 19th 04, 10:31 PM
Diverd4777

You cannot copyright a Title, or so I've heard..

( & I HOPE Ray Bradbury's sales just SOAR !! ; anyone remember
" The Sound Of Thunder" or " The Pedestrian" ?)

In article , "mi-oldradios"
writes:

Moore ;-p lawyers getting rich on this one.

.. .

Old June 23rd 04, 11:46 AM
WShoots1

You cannot copyright a Title, or so I've heard..

Correct. In fact, that was hassled out years ago in Hollywood in regard to
movie titles, and it applies to those of books and other things, too.

Bill, K5BY
Old June 23rd 04, 05:06 PM
Beloved Leader

(WShoots1) wrote in message ...

You cannot copyright a Title, or so I've heard..

Correct. In fact, that was hassled out years ago in Hollywood in regard to
movie titles, and it applies to those of books and other things, too.

Bill, K5BY

Yes. Think about it. All you'd have to do is be the first person to
write a book called "Dictionary," or "Encyclopedia." From that point
on, you could sue anyone else who tried to put together a dictionary
or encyclopedia.

Google for "wind done gone".

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search

"The Wind Done Gone" is a book giving an alternate view of the events
in "Gone With the Wind." Margaret Mitchell's estate fumed - and sued -
but "The Wind Done Gone" was published nonetheless.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wind_Done_Gone

Plot Summary

The plot of Gone With the Wind revolves around a rich Southern woman
named Scarlett O'Hara, who lives through the American Civil War and
Reconstruction. The Wind Done Gone is the same story, but told from
the viewpoint of a mulatto slave on Scarlett's plantation (see History
of slavery in the United States); the title is simply "Gone With the
Wind" rendered into a slave's vernacular dialect.

Old June 24th 04, 12:01 AM
Invader3k

Besides, it _is_ legal to make a parody (to a certain extent). Moore
could just say he was parodying Bradbury's title with his, if this
ever would go to court, which it won't.

Old June 24th 04, 01:04 AM
Brenda Ann Dyer

"Invader3k" wrote in message
om...
Besides, it _is_ legal to make a parody (to a certain extent). Moore
could just say he was parodying Bradbury's title with his, if this
ever would go to court, which it won't.

Never say never... Wasn't it Verizon that went to court to protect their
'copyright' on the phrase "Push to Talk", which has been used on two way
radios for decades before Verizon ever existed?

Old June 24th 04, 05:37 AM
Frank Dresser

"Brenda Ann Dyer" wrote in message

Never say never... Wasn't it Verizon that went to court to protect their
'copyright' on the phrase "Push to Talk", which has been used on two way
radios for decades before Verizon ever existed?

Something like that. It was a trademark for the use of "Push to Talk" just
for use on cellphones, however.

My favorite trademark case is:

http://www.despair.com/demotivators/frownonthis.html

Frank Dresser

Old June 24th 04, 02:41 PM
Brian Hill

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

My favorite trademark case is:

http://www.despair.com/demotivators/frownonthis.html

Frank Dresser

What a bunch of scumbags.

Old June 24th 04, 04:59 PM
Frank Dresser

"Brian Hill" wrote in message

What a bunch of scumbags.

Dr. E. L. Kersten is offering a compromise:

http://www.despair.com/demotivators/acompromise.html

Frank Dresser

Old June 24th 04, 09:57 PM
RHF

= = = "Frank Dresser" wrote in message
= = = ...
"Brenda Ann Dyer" wrote in message

Never say never... Wasn't it Verizon that went to court to protect their
'copyright' on the phrase "Push to Talk", which has been used on two way
radios for decades before Verizon ever existed?

Something like that. It was a trademark for the use of "Push to Talk" just
for use on cellphones, however.

My favorite trademark case is:

http://www.despair.com/demotivators/frownonthis.html

Frank Dresser