Old June 23rd 04, 10:39 PM
Larry Weil

In article , "Ken Finney" wrote:

In my opinion, Air America NEVER intended to be a success (not that
they wouldn't mind being so). The new campaign finance laws exempt
"media" (or words to that effect) from the law. So, you set up a "network",
unabashedly attack on of the parties, and then shut the operation down
after the election.

Ya mean like the NRA is trying to do? ducking

--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH

Old June 24th 04, 01:43 AM
Ken Finney

"Larry Weil" wrote in message
In article , "Ken Finney"

wrote:

In my opinion, Air America NEVER intended to be a success (not that
they wouldn't mind being so). The new campaign finance laws exempt
"media" (or words to that effect) from the law. So, you set up a

"network",
unabashedly attack on of the parties, and then shut the operation down
after the election.

Ya mean like the NRA is trying to do? ducking

Funny thing, I heard a lot of NRA bashing on NPR last weekend
over this "loophole" in the law, I've never heard any Air America
bashing on NPR over this "loophole".

Old June 24th 04, 01:43 AM
Christopher C. Stacy

On 23 Jun 2004 21:39:59 GMT, Larry Weil ("Larry") writes:

Larry In article , "Ken Finney" wrote:

In my opinion, Air America NEVER intended to be a success (not that
they wouldn't mind being so). The new campaign finance laws exempt
"media" (or words to that effect) from the law. So, you set up a "network",
unabashedly attack on of the parties, and then shut the operation down
after the election.

Larry Ya mean like the NRA is trying to do? ducking

What media network is the NRA running that they intend as a sham
to get around campaign finance laws and then shut down next year?
I haven't heard of this until you mentioned it.

Old June 24th 04, 05:58 AM
T. Early

"Ken Finney" wrote in message

"Larry Weil" wrote in message
In article , "Ken Finney"

wrote:

In my opinion, Air America NEVER intended to be a success (not

that
they wouldn't mind being so). The new campaign finance laws

exempt
"media" (or words to that effect) from the law. So, you set up a

"network",
unabashedly attack on of the parties, and then shut the operation

down
after the election.

Ya mean like the NRA is trying to do? ducking

Funny thing, I heard a lot of NRA bashing on NPR last weekend
over this "loophole" in the law, I've never heard any Air America
bashing on NPR over this "loophole".

Excellent point, and, speaking of Air America and NPR, shouldn't there
be a place at Air America for Terry Gross?

Old June 24th 04, 09:26 PM
RHF

= = = "Ken Finney" wrote in message
= = = ...
"Larry Weil" wrote in message
In article , "Ken Finney"

wrote:

In my opinion, Air America NEVER intended to be a success (not that
they wouldn't mind being so). The new campaign finance laws exempt
"media" (or words to that effect) from the law. So, you set up a

"network",
unabashedly attack on of the parties, and then shut the operation down
after the election.

Ya mean like the NRA is trying to do? ducking

Funny thing, I heard a lot of NRA bashing on NPR last weekend
over this "loophole" in the law, I've never heard any Air America
bashing on NPR over this "loophole".

KF - Why, Isn't NPR 'fair' and 'balanced' ? [NOT!] ~ RHF

..

Old June 24th 04, 09:54 PM
Elwood P Dowd

hate it! but it couldn't happen to nicer bunch of demoNAZIS
"dxAce" wrote in message

Al Dykes wrote:

In article ,
dxAce wrote:

Al Dykes wrote:

In article ,
dxAce wrote:

Frank Dresser wrote:

"Mark S. Holden" wrote in message
Story on Drudge says Air America is strapped for cash, and had

less than
they claimed when they started. Looks like maybe the check for

Chicago did
bounce.

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash8.htm

Actually, the check never had a chance to bounce. Arthur Liu at
Multicultural was told the check was stopped, so he shouldn't even

bother
depositing it.

Matt Drudge has been taking a pointed interest in the Air America

story,
possibly because some numbnut at Air America wrote the infamous

"Liu-ser"
article ridiculing Drudge and Liu.

"The WALL STREET JOURNAL reports on Monday: Several employees say

they still
haven't been reimbursed for the costs of attending the New York

launch."
"Many of Air America's investors and executives say they thought

the network
had raised more than $30 million, based on assurances from its

owners,
Guam-based entrepreneurs Evan M. Cohen and Rex Sorensen."

"In fact, Air America had raised only $6 million, Mr. Cohen

concedes"

What were the investors thinking about, just before the network

started up?
Were they throwing their money into the Democratic party? The

"Tyco
Birthday Party"?

"On March 30, the night before Air America went on the air, the

liberal
radio network threw itself a $70,000 party at Manhattan's hip

Maritime
Hotel."

This story isn't new but it does add some details to the known

problems Air
America's management had. They announced a possible deal with new

investors
over a month ago. I have no idea how that's going.

Air America may have been started up by incompetent businessmen,

but they
have shown there's a market for that kind of radio. If they can't

do it
right, somebody else will.

Hardly... if there was indeed a market, then they would not be in

the financial
mess they appear to be in.

They'd be raking in the dough through advertising.

But they're not, are they?

Maybe they need to take lessons from Rush, Hannity, Boortz, etc.....

now those
guys are making money.

It seems that Fox was $150 million in the red for the first 2 years
of operation. You can't expect them to be turning a profit
in the first 2 months of operation.

Yes, and FOX is a totally different type of operation, is it not?

We're talking radio here...

If there were a market for that type of show the stations would be

breaking down Air
America's door... and they are not.

Fox ran in the red for two years. TV may dig a bigger hole, but it's
still a hole. It's a rare startup company of any tipe that is
profitable in the first year. The Wall Street Journal has a article
about AA on Tuesday that I'm told was overall favorable about their
business model.

It's a rare startup company that begins with the lies and deceit of Air

America!

It's one thing to have a 'business model', and an entirely different thing

if one is not
following it.

Proposals look great on paper, it's what is put into practice that finally

tells the
tale.

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old June 25th 04, 02:24 AM
21C BBS

Within these hallowed halls, Larry Weil of added the
following to the collective conscience:
In article , "Ken Finney"
wrote:

In my opinion, Air America NEVER intended to be a success (not that
they wouldn't mind being so). The new campaign finance laws exempt
"media" (or words to that effect) from the law. So, you set up a
"network", unabashedly attack on of the parties, and then shut the
operation down after the election.

Ya mean like the NRA is trying to do? ducking

Naw, they'd just shoot their mouths off.

Come on, someone had to say it. ;-)

Old June 25th 04, 02:24 AM
21C BBS

Within these hallowed halls, T. Early of
added the following to the collective conscience:
"Ken Finney" wrote in message

"Larry Weil" wrote in message
In article , "Ken Finney"

wrote:

In my opinion, Air America NEVER intended to be a success (not that
they wouldn't mind being so). The new campaign finance laws exempt
"media" (or words to that effect) from the law. So, you set up a
"network", unabashedly attack on of the parties, and then shut the
operation down after the election.

Ya mean like the NRA is trying to do? ducking

Funny thing, I heard a lot of NRA bashing on NPR last weekend
over this "loophole" in the law, I've never heard any Air America
bashing on NPR over this "loophole".

Excellent point, and, speaking of Air America and NPR, shouldn't there
be a place at Air America for Terry Gross?

I always thought, shouldn't there be a place at NPR for Air America? I
know, wherever I've lived, there being at least half a dozen Public FMs
(88.1-91.9) that could take some of AA's broadcast day.

Old June 25th 04, 02:24 AM
Mark Jeffries

"Ken Finney" wrote in message ...
"Larry Weil" wrote in message
In article , "Ken Finney"

wrote:

In my opinion, Air America NEVER intended to be a success (not that
they wouldn't mind being so). The new campaign finance laws exempt
"media" (or words to that effect) from the law. So, you set up a

"network",
unabashedly attack on of the parties, and then shut the operation down
after the election.

Ya mean like the NRA is trying to do? ducking

Funny thing, I heard a lot of NRA bashing on NPR last weekend
over this "loophole" in the law, I've never heard any Air America
bashing on NPR over this "loophole".

Perhaps because Air America has every intent to remain in
business--they just happened to come on the air during an election
campaign.

Perhaps you can tell us what your problem with the First Amendment is.

Old June 25th 04, 04:16 PM
Rich Wood

In my opinion, Air America NEVER intended to be a success (not that
they wouldn't mind being so). The new campaign finance laws exempt
"media" (or words to that effect) from the law. So, you set up a "network",
unabashedly attack on of the parties, and then shut the operation down
after the election.

This kind of theory is interesting but pretty far-fetched. It's much
simpler than that. Awesomely bad management with a truly faulty
business model. It's that simple.

I think it was a bunch of cocky TV "radio can't be very hard" people
who came to realize that lying about their bank account and ridiculing
the head of the two major markets they needed the most wasn't the best
approach.

If Rush Limbaugh, with 600+ stations, can't influence an election, Air
America with 6 isn't going to have much better luck.

Rich

Voice of America used to emanate from Dixon Mike Terry Broadcasting 8 December 13th 10 09:51 PM
AIR AMERICA In Deep Financial Crisis lsmyer Broadcasting 29 July 16th 04 05:27 PM
Air America N8KDV Shortwave 6 April 28th 04 08:53 PM
Air America - where every flight crashes Stephen M.H. Lawrence Shortwave 4 April 15th 04 04:20 AM
Fwd: R Prague A 04 Summer Schedule WA4009SWL Shortwave 1 March 18th 04 07:32 PM