Old June 23rd 04, 06:41 PM
lsmyer

Default AIR AMERICA In Deep Financial Crisis

Some day, business students will study the failure of the Air America
network.

Though so many reasons can be explored, it's my opinion that the primary
reason for the network's eventual fall has to do with its attempt to start
out on top.

You can't simply target Rush on a national scale and expect to beat him.
Rush is a consummate radio broadcasting professional who started at the very
bottom and worked his way to the very top. He didn't start out trying to
force his political opinion on any one. He took his top 40 superjock persona
into the talk radio segment, and people enjoyed the product. Through hard
work and perseverance, his show grew exponentially. He's not a conservative
who happens to be a radio entertainer. He's a radio entertainer who happens
to be a conservative. So could liberal talk radio succeed? Of course. Howard
Stern and Don Imus are two fine examples who come to mind.

Radio is not an easy medium to conquer. It's not simply TV without pictures.
To really succeed in radio requires one to start at the bottom, listen to
radio every waking hour, find mentors to help you develop your personal
style, and prepare to work very hard for very little money. You'll probably
go through a couple of spouses pretty quickly.

Some day, there will be someone who beats Rush. But I don't think it will
come from an organization like Air America. Instead, I think it will come
from an individual who is in love with radio and can't stand being #2.

Old June 23rd 04, 10:39 PM
Larry Weil

In article , "Ken Finney" wrote:

In my opinion, Air America NEVER intended to be a success (not that
they wouldn't mind being so). The new campaign finance laws exempt
"media" (or words to that effect) from the law. So, you set up a "network",
unabashedly attack on of the parties, and then shut the operation down
after the election.

Ya mean like the NRA is trying to do? ducking

--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH

Old June 24th 04, 01:43 AM
Ken Finney

"Larry Weil" wrote in message
In article , "Ken Finney"

wrote:

In my opinion, Air America NEVER intended to be a success (not that
they wouldn't mind being so). The new campaign finance laws exempt
"media" (or words to that effect) from the law. So, you set up a

"network",
unabashedly attack on of the parties, and then shut the operation down
after the election.

Ya mean like the NRA is trying to do? ducking

Funny thing, I heard a lot of NRA bashing on NPR last weekend
over this "loophole" in the law, I've never heard any Air America
bashing on NPR over this "loophole".

Old June 24th 04, 01:43 AM
Christopher C. Stacy

On 23 Jun 2004 21:39:59 GMT, Larry Weil ("Larry") writes:

Larry In article , "Ken Finney" wrote:

In my opinion, Air America NEVER intended to be a success (not that
they wouldn't mind being so). The new campaign finance laws exempt
"media" (or words to that effect) from the law. So, you set up a "network",
unabashedly attack on of the parties, and then shut the operation down
after the election.

Larry Ya mean like the NRA is trying to do? ducking

What media network is the NRA running that they intend as a sham
to get around campaign finance laws and then shut down next year?
I haven't heard of this until you mentioned it.

Old June 24th 04, 01:43 AM
Fred Cantu

In my opinion, Air America NEVER intended to be a success (not that
they wouldn't mind being so).

There are lots of folks in that boat who want to be on the radio but don't
want to be in the radio business.

Old June 24th 04, 05:58 AM
T. Early

"Ken Finney" wrote in message

"Larry Weil" wrote in message
In article , "Ken Finney"

wrote:

In my opinion, Air America NEVER intended to be a success (not

that
they wouldn't mind being so). The new campaign finance laws

exempt
"media" (or words to that effect) from the law. So, you set up a

"network",
unabashedly attack on of the parties, and then shut the operation

down
after the election.

Ya mean like the NRA is trying to do? ducking

Funny thing, I heard a lot of NRA bashing on NPR last weekend
over this "loophole" in the law, I've never heard any Air America
bashing on NPR over this "loophole".

Excellent point, and, speaking of Air America and NPR, shouldn't there
be a place at Air America for Terry Gross?

Old June 24th 04, 09:26 PM
RHF

= = = "Ken Finney" wrote in message
= = = ...
"Larry Weil" wrote in message
In article , "Ken Finney"

wrote:

In my opinion, Air America NEVER intended to be a success (not that
they wouldn't mind being so). The new campaign finance laws exempt
"media" (or words to that effect) from the law. So, you set up a

"network",
unabashedly attack on of the parties, and then shut the operation down
after the election.

Ya mean like the NRA is trying to do? ducking

Funny thing, I heard a lot of NRA bashing on NPR last weekend
over this "loophole" in the law, I've never heard any Air America
bashing on NPR over this "loophole".

KF - Why, Isn't NPR 'fair' and 'balanced' ? [NOT!] ~ RHF

..

Old June 25th 04, 02:24 AM
21C BBS

Within these hallowed halls, Larry Weil of added the
following to the collective conscience:
In article , "Ken Finney"
wrote:

In my opinion, Air America NEVER intended to be a success (not that
they wouldn't mind being so). The new campaign finance laws exempt
"media" (or words to that effect) from the law. So, you set up a
"network", unabashedly attack on of the parties, and then shut the
operation down after the election.

Ya mean like the NRA is trying to do? ducking

Naw, they'd just shoot their mouths off.

Come on, someone had to say it. ;-)

Old June 25th 04, 02:24 AM
21C BBS

Within these hallowed halls, T. Early of
added the following to the collective conscience:
"Ken Finney" wrote in message

"Larry Weil" wrote in message
In article , "Ken Finney"

wrote:

In my opinion, Air America NEVER intended to be a success (not that
they wouldn't mind being so). The new campaign finance laws exempt
"media" (or words to that effect) from the law. So, you set up a
"network", unabashedly attack on of the parties, and then shut the
operation down after the election.

Ya mean like the NRA is trying to do? ducking

Funny thing, I heard a lot of NRA bashing on NPR last weekend
over this "loophole" in the law, I've never heard any Air America
bashing on NPR over this "loophole".

Excellent point, and, speaking of Air America and NPR, shouldn't there
be a place at Air America for Terry Gross?

I always thought, shouldn't there be a place at NPR for Air America? I
know, wherever I've lived, there being at least half a dozen Public FMs
(88.1-91.9) that could take some of AA's broadcast day.

Old June 25th 04, 02:24 AM
Mark Jeffries

"Ken Finney" wrote in message ...
"Larry Weil" wrote in message
In article , "Ken Finney"

wrote:

In my opinion, Air America NEVER intended to be a success (not that
they wouldn't mind being so). The new campaign finance laws exempt
"media" (or words to that effect) from the law. So, you set up a

"network",
unabashedly attack on of the parties, and then shut the operation down
after the election.

Ya mean like the NRA is trying to do? ducking

Funny thing, I heard a lot of NRA bashing on NPR last weekend
over this "loophole" in the law, I've never heard any Air America
bashing on NPR over this "loophole".

Perhaps because Air America has every intent to remain in
business--they just happened to come on the air during an election
campaign.

Perhaps you can tell us what your problem with the First Amendment is.

Dig deep on this one KØHB Dx 10 December 30th 04 03:29 AM
Dig deep on this one KØHB General 4 December 30th 04 03:29 AM
Once upon a time in America there came to be a giant of an organization called the American Radio Relay League (ARRL). KC8QJP General 3 October 11th 04 10:44 AM
Air America MondayMornin Antenna 25 April 29th 04 02:10 AM
"Blame Bush for State Fiscal Crisis" Petro Pettifog General 0 July 3rd 03 11:42 PM