Old June 22nd 04, 05:26 PM
Jim Thornton

Default Dots Problem Solved

On my Kenwood R-5000 shortwave receiver, I solved the disappearing frequency
display and associated audio
problem by replacing the original approximately 20-year old internal
battery. The displaying display is commonly called "dots" as all of the
numbers are gone leaving only dots in their place. I removed the original
soldered battery and replaced it with a battery holder and a standard Radio
Shack lithium battery. If anyone is interested, I
will provide upon their request step-by-step instructions including part
numbers for the battery holder and battery, etc.

Old June 22nd 04, 05:31 PM
dxAce

Jim Thornton wrote:

On my Kenwood R-5000 shortwave receiver, I solved the disappearing frequency
display and associated audio
problem by replacing the original approximately 20-year old internal
battery. The displaying display is commonly called "dots" as all of the
numbers are gone leaving only dots in their place. I removed the original
soldered battery and replaced it with a battery holder and a standard Radio
Shack lithium battery. If anyone is interested, I
will provide upon their request step-by-step instructions including part
numbers for the battery holder and battery, etc.

Glad to hear you got it fixed. The R-5000 is a great sounding performer. Had one
here for a number of years.

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old June 22nd 04, 11:12 PM
Jim Shaffer, Jr.

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 09:26:00 -0700, "Jim Thornton" wrote:

On my Kenwood R-5000 shortwave receiver, I solved the disappearing frequency
display and associated audio
problem by replacing the original approximately 20-year old internal
battery. The displaying display is commonly called "dots" as all of the
numbers are gone leaving only dots in their place.

I had always read that that problem was due to the PLL losing lock due to
humidity penetrating cracks in the potting compound! Or are there two similar
problems? Mine clears up if I let it run until it's really warm. I had assumed
that the warmth was driving the humidity out, but does the battery re-charge
when the receiver is on?

I was just about to throw the radio out, because it was already old when I
bought it and I have no desire to fix the potting problem or pay someone to do
it.

Old June 23rd 04, 08:19 PM
Jim Thornton

Yes, by leaving your receiver on, the internal battery is being charged. I
had the same experience that you are having. Once my receiver "warmed up"
then the frequency display would work again for a while. By replacing the
battery, I no longer need to wait for the battery to be recharged. The new
battery will take the charge quicker and holds it way longer than an older
battery.

Old June 23rd 04, 10:59 PM
Volker Tonn

Jim Thornton schrieb:

Yes, by leaving your receiver on, the internal battery is being charged. I
had the same experience that you are having. Once my receiver "warmed up"
then the frequency display would work again for a while. By replacing the
battery, I no longer need to wait for the battery to be recharged. The new
battery will take the charge quicker and holds it way longer than an older
battery.

How will the lithium battery be charged?
All that I know Lithium batteries are not rechargable. But they have a
huge capacity and will last maybe for years in your R5000 'til it dies.
Recharable LiIon-accumulators need a preprogrammed charging circuit and
it's nearly impossible for non-manufacturers to find single LiIon cells.
Or did you use a NiMh-cell? Just curious.

Old June 24th 04, 06:23 PM
Jim Thornton

Volker -
You are most likely correct. I couldn't the battery nor its recharging
circuitry anywhere in the R-5000 schematics or even an mention of the
battery in the parts list of the service manual. However, the battery
seemed to become recharged after the receiver was left on for a while and
the "dots" problem would disappear.
- Jim