Old June 25th 04, 08:48 PM
Mark S. Holden

Al Dykes wrote:
snip

Drift's good for him :-) He'll appreciate a better radio when he grows
into it.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

My first radio is remembered as "The Driftmaster". With one hand on the main tuning knob and one on the fine - I eventually got to the point where I could listen to the same station for several minutes at a time.

The best thing I can say about that radio is it gave me an edge on my friends when video games were invented.

I'm sure the S-350 is a better radio than the driftmaster though, because people actually do like them.
Old June 25th 04, 09:02 PM
Mark S. Holden

DJboutit wrote:

I would say get a Realistic DX 160 good first radio and would be easy to
learn how to use a shortwave receiver. If you u get a dx 160 get with the
ext speaker. I love mine and got the hang of it only after using it for
about 1 to 2hrs. If you son get board with it shortly are you get it he
might get back into it with a few years so you might want to get a little
better shortwave radio to start out with. Check out ebay for a Realistic DX
160 you should be able to get one for a $50 to $75 and with the speaker.

While the DX-160 has a certain amount of charm, I wouldn't suggest one for a kid. At least not one I liked.
Old June 25th 04, 10:56 PM
Joe Analssandrini

Hello,

I see many people are recommending the Grundig S350. I personally
wouldn't buy that radio due to the drifting problem and no memories. I
think a child deserves better.

There is an inexpensive radio that no one mentions but is actually
very good. It is the Sony ICF-SWS35 ($90). If a Sangean ANT-60 ($15)
is clipped to its antenna, it receives quite well. No tuning knob and
no direct entry, but 50 memories (more if you count the bottom of the
bands) and easy tuning via buttons. It's easy on batteries (I use
rechargeable NiMH ones) and is small and light. Sound quality is not
bad and amplified computer speakers can be attached to the earphone
jack. The radio is dual-conversion so it has relatively few spurious
signals. Made in China, it has the best build-quality of any Chinese
radio I personally have seen. It's very simple to operate and I think
it would be very suitable for a child.

It's even suitable for me! I have two of them.

Joe

"jtaylor" wrote in message ...
He was playing with an old radio shack dx-100 that's in the wood shop the
other day and said "This is really neat. I want a shortwave radio."

(I know the dx-100 is a piece of junk.)

When I was a kid the neat thing was turning the knob slowly on the am tube
radio that glowed beside the bed, volume up, listening to signals coming out
of the crackles. Um, that's still neat.

But today sw is better because you can get a radio that won't drift.

So -

If there is a digital radio that tuned like an analog one - not just the
knob, but the SOUND; and it was not too big, and not too much $, and not too
complicated - no ssb, no sync det, etcetera - well then, I'd like to know
about it. 12th birthday is in two weeks.

Old June 25th 04, 11:30 PM
Jim Haynes

Seems like those books like Passport to World Band Radio used to have some
receiver reviews inside.

You don't want to get a radio that is too crummy to start with, or he will
lose interest just because it's too much hard work to use it. For the same
reason I would suggest putting up an outdoor antenna right away - or at
least string up a good length of wire indoors - so you can receive more
stuff better than you can with just the whip.

I wouldn't rule out SSB, since that allows listening to hams and fishing
boats and airplanes. Granted that some of them say things we would rather
our kids don't hear; but then they are going to hear that kind of talk on
the streets anyway.

I'd get a set of earphones to go with it, if you don't have them already.
Some of the best listening comes after bedtime.

One drawback I can see to the Grundig is that it stops at 27 MHz rather than
going up to 30. So you can hear CB but not the top ham band. Not that the
29 MHz ham band is good for much in this part of the sunspot cycle, but...

--

jhhaynes at earthlink dot net

Old June 25th 04, 11:50 PM
Jackie

"SYSYPHUS' SISTER" wrote in message

Degen 1103--get from seller Liypn on EBay.

I second this nomination. I have one and it's a great radio for the money.

Jackie

Old June 26th 04, 01:48 AM
Diverd4777

I can see buying a very sophisticated radio for someone experienced in other SW
receivers;
- Or for a 40 something SW Afficionado..

- But as a first time SW gift, for a 12 year old, the Grundig S350 is ( IMHO)
the one to get.
-Good sound, Lots of knobs,
Digital display
, fairly big, hence more rugged than something smaller,
Probably somewhat waterproof..
Looks cool just sitting there..

Old June 26th 04, 05:49 AM
George Malkinson

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 08:56:49 -0300, "jtaylor"
wrote:

He was playing with an old radio shack dx-100 that's in the wood shop the
other day and said "This is really neat. I want a shortwave radio."

(I know the dx-100 is a piece of junk.)

If he is 12 yo, and into technology then he is also probably into
computers and has his own PC, right? If so, then he is just like my 14
yo son.

I have never seen him so excited about a high tech toy until I got him
the WinRadio G303i PC-based radio. It's so cool that it really brought
the family together, my wife loves it too! :-)

See http://www.winradio.com/home/g303i.htm . The performance is
incredible and the software is a real joy to use. I really can't fault
this product.

George

Old June 26th 04, 09:55 AM
Conan Ford

"jtaylor" wrote in
:

He was playing with an old radio shack dx-100 that's in the wood shop
the other day and said "This is really neat. I want a shortwave
radio."

Degen 1103, despite having the ssb support, he can get an idea of the
shortwave broadcast bands from the faux-analog screen.

Or you could go with the S350/BCL-2000, it being analog but having a
digital frequency counter, so that he can see if it drifts slightly and
move it back. It also has fun knobs (gain, treble, bass) to play with.

You can have either radio shipped from lipyn on E-bay in 7-10 days, or you
can get the S-350 at Radio Shack right away.

Old June 26th 04, 12:14 PM
Bill Hennessy

wrote:

He was playing with an old radio shack dx-100 that's in the wood shop the
other day and said "This is really neat. I want a shortwave radio."

(I know the dx-100 is a piece of junk.)

If he is 12 yo, and into technology then he is also probably into
computers and has his own PC, right? If so, then he is just like my 14
yo son.

I have never seen him so excited about a high tech toy until I got him
the WinRadio G303i PC-based radio. It's so cool that it really brought
the family together, my wife loves it too! :-)

See http://www.winradio.com/home/g303i.htm . The performance is
incredible and the software is a real joy to use. I really can't fault
this product.

George

Ten Tec makes a better one and it's cheaper.