Old June 26th 04, 10:56 PM
Diverd4777

Grundig S350 US $56.55

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5706032 5
36&rd=1

In article , SYSYPHUS' SISTER
writes:

Fri, 25 Jun 2004 07:08:32 -0500

jtaylor wrote:

He was playing with an old radio shack dx-100 that's in the wood shop the
other day and said "This is really neat. I want a shortwave radio."

(I know the dx-100 is a piece of junk.)

When I was a kid the neat thing was turning the knob slowly on the am tube
radio that glowed beside the bed, volume up, listening to signals coming

out
of the crackles. Um, that's still neat.

But today sw is better because you can get a radio that won't drift.

So -

If there is a digital radio that tuned like an analog one - not just the
knob, but the SOUND; and it was not too big, and not too much $, and not

too
complicated - no ssb, no sync det, etcetera - well then, I'd like to know
about it. 12th birthday is in two weeks.

Degen 1103--get from seller Liypn on EBay.

SYSYPHUS' SISTER

Old June 27th 04, 12:02 AM
RHF

J TAYLOR,

The Grundig S350 "Super Radio" Tecsun BCL-2000 would be a good
choice for a 'first' Shortwave Radio. It has the basic lay-out,
size and shape that a child would easly understand and operate.
It feels like a Radio and requires the 'active human participation'
Hand-on-the-Knob and Listening-with-your-Ears that makes a Radio
FUN to Listen To. Plus it has the added features to grow and
learn with to develop a "Love" for Shortwave Radio and AM/MW DXing.

There is also a large active users eGroup for the Grundig S350
"Super Radio" Tecsun BCL-2000 on YAHOO !

yilgr ~ RHF
..
..
= = = (Diverd4777) wrote in message
= = = ...
Yep !
Grundig S350;

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3691599
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/3500.html

Excellent Idea..... Just Looks cool sitting there

- And a roll of Wire for an external antenna ( eventually )

In article , (Al Dykes) writes:

Subject: Recommend sw radio for 12-year-old please...
From:
(Al Dykes)
Date: 25 Jun 2004 08:50:48 -0400

In article ,
SYSYPHUS' SISTER wrote:
jtaylor wrote:

[...]

Grundig S350. I like it, and it looks like a great kid's radio.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

Old June 27th 04, 03:05 AM
RHF

DiverD,

Best Grundig S350 Radio 'value' on eBay is the Tecsun BCL-2000.

eBay [SEARCH] 'bcl-2000'
http://search.ebay.com/bcl-2000_W0QQ...titleZbcl-2000

~ RHF
..
..
= = = (Diverd4777) wrote in message
= = = ...
Grundig S350 US $56.55

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5706032 5
36&rd=1

In article , SYSYPHUS' SISTER
writes:

Fri, 25 Jun 2004 07:08:32 -0500

Old June 27th 04, 03:40 AM
Billy E Hart Three

Remember - You get what you pay for.

On 26 Jun 2004 21:56:05 GMT, (Diverd4777) wrote:

Grundig S350 US $56.55

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5706032 5
36&rd=1

In article , SYSYPHUS' SISTER
writes:

Fri, 25 Jun 2004 07:08:32 -0500

Old June 27th 04, 05:51 PM
Al Dykes

In article ,
Billy E Hart Three wrote:

Remember - You get what you pay for.

If you follow the yahoo group for this radio LOTS of people seem to
have purchased the Tecsun radios from a couple ebay dealers, with very
little dissatisfaction I could see. The Tecsun model is 220V, and the
dealer throws in a USA power adapter. If you want a manual in some
language other than Chinese you have to download it from Grundig.

If you include the postage from HK, you save about $25US over what I
can buy it for from a reputable dealer here in NYC. OTOH, that dealer
has a credit-only returns policy for reasons other than defects, which
keeps his prices low. I don't mind that.

On 26 Jun 2004 21:56:05 GMT, (Diverd4777) wrote:

Grundig S350 US $56.55

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5706032 5
36&rd=1

In article , SYSYPHUS' SISTER
writes:

Fri, 25 Jun 2004 07:08:32 -0500

Old June 27th 04, 11:55 PM
RHF

FO&A,

One more good feature of the Grundig S350 "Super Radio" Tecsun
BCL-2000 for a 12-Year-Old is the radios Battery Life.

The Batteries last a long, Long. LONG ! Time )

yilgr ~ RHF
..
..
= = = (RHF) wrote in message
= = = om...
DiverD,

Best Grundig S350 Radio 'value' on eBay is the Tecsun BCL-2000.

eBay [SEARCH] 'bcl-2000'
http://search.ebay.com/bcl-2000_W0QQ...titleZbcl-2000

~ RHF
.
.
= = = (Diverd4777) wrote in message
= = = ...
Grundig S350 US $56.55

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5706032 5
36&rd=1

In article , SYSYPHUS' SISTER
writes:

Fri, 25 Jun 2004 07:08:32 -0500

Old June 27th 04, 11:55 PM
I was against it before I was for it

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 08:56:49 -0300, "jtaylor"
wrote:

He was playing with an old radio shack dx-100 that's in the wood shop the
other day and said "This is really neat. I want a shortwave radio."

(I know the dx-100 is a piece of junk.)

When I was a kid the neat thing was turning the knob slowly on the am tube
radio that glowed beside the bed, volume up, listening to signals coming out
of the crackles. Um, that's still neat.

But today sw is better because you can get a radio that won't drift.

So -

If there is a digital radio that tuned like an analog one - not just the
knob, but the SOUND; and it was not too big, and not too much $, and not too
complicated - no ssb, no sync det, etcetera - well then, I'd like to know
about it. 12th birthday is in two weeks.

Take a look at the DEGEN 1102. It is an excellent portable radio. I
have recommended this as a first radio to several people. It is
probably the best sub $80.00 radio you can find. It compares favorably
to radios costing twice as much.
Old June 28th 04, 12:54 AM
B EHart

wrote:

[...]

The guy never said he needed a cheap radio. He just said he wanted
one for his kid. Do you guys ever buy on quality? No wonder
everything's made in China now. Forget the price. Get something the
kid will remember for listening - not for fixing.
Old June 28th 04, 01:05 AM
Bill

When I was a kid the neat thing was turning the knob slowly on the am tube
radio that glowed beside the bed, volume up, listening to signals coming out
of the crackles. Um, that's still neat.

But today sw is better because you can get a radio that won't drift.

So -

If there is a digital radio that tuned like an analog one - not just the
knob, but the SOUND; and it was not too big, and not too much $, and not too
complicated - no ssb, no sync det, etcetera - well then, I'd like to know
about it. 12th birthday is in two weeks.

Take a look at the DEGEN 1102. It is an excellent portable radio. I
have recommended this as a first radio to several people. It is
probably the best sub $80.00 radio you can find. It compares favorably
to radios costing twice as much.

My Elmer back in 1967 let me and his son tote his coveted SX-42 several
blocks thru 17 inches of snowfall to my house. (Ya heard that before,
huh?).I was a 12 year old that. was nuts about radio. He knew
(perceived) that at the time. When I called him about the regulator
tubes running a strange blue he gave me a good answer. And when I
called him whining about why I didn't hear anything above 30 Mcs except
for 'doctor pagers' he again explained to me how the spectrum works.
Years later when I plunked down a ****ty 6 dollar National SW-54 in
front of my own kid he winds up with a mailbox full of QSLs and has
sixty countries confirmed before the $10- check for the radio clears the
bank

Naw, if I were to hafta recommend a radio nowadays for a newbie I'd be
torn across an ebay 10 dollar gook special or an old beatup S-40. And
quite honestly I don't know which I'd choose as a generic recomendation,.

or one of those Chinse stes.,64

wst
Old June 28th 04, 02:43 AM
Mike W

Don't knock the 1102 unless you've tried one. Its a great little SW radio.
Disregarding price, country of origin, and physical size I'd say this is
still one of the best portables out there right now.