Old July 8th 04, 09:26 PM
Richard Clark

On 8 Jul 2004 18:46:00 GMT, (Michael Black)
wrote:

Richard Clark ) writes:
On 08 Jul 2004 04:38:58 GMT,
(WShoots1) wrote:

at a higher frequency

Roger, Richard, much higher. Hi Like 455 kHz. (Or was it kc back then?)

73,
Bill, K5BY

Hi Bill,

455000 cps ;-)

Used in the Collins R-390 and URC-32 (course material for the Navy's
ETA school, 6 week N branch section A4).

Didn't the R390 have a 500KHz IF?

Michael

Hi Michael,

Hmm, three chances to be right (this is a triple conversion receiver)
but, no, 500KHz is not one of them. Consult:
http://www.r390a.com/VARIF.htm
for the fascinating tale of variable IFs and band switching. This
gave my students hours of entertainment in playing with the
mechanics/electronics of tracking the tuning indicator (and prepared
them for my class in the SRC-20, a synthesized mechanical nightmare of
gears and shaped capacitors).

There are a world of IFs to choose from, certainly, with surplus and
otherwise exotic gear consult:
http://www.nzvrs.pl.net/aaa/ifreqs.htm
I've owned the BC453 with an IF of 85KHz that I used to tune to a
cheap SW (Knight Kit Star Roamer) set's IF for a poor man's double
conversion.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old July 8th 04, 09:58 PM
Brian Running

Instead of playing the 'game' of posting a reply to anything I post.

Your ego is showing.

Uh oh -- worlds are colliding. Remember, rec.radio.shortwave is not a radio
newsgroup, the people there are not knowledgeable about, or interested in,
the technical aspects of radio. If it doesn't involve nasty name-calling or
wild-eyed, mouth-foaming political looniness, then it doesn't belong in
rec.radio.shortwave.

Old July 10th 04, 06:22 AM
WShoots1

Richard: 455000 cps ;-)

LOL Also: 0.455 Mc.

Michael: Didn't the R390 have a 500KHz IF?

That sounds familiar. Could that have been one of the differences between the
390 and the 390A?

73,
Bill, K5BY
Old July 13th 04, 05:08 AM
WShoots1

Collins built similar rigs such as
the 75, 51 and R388 (and maybe R389) series only some of which used a
500KHz IF in a fantastic variety of double, triple, and quadruple
conversion versions.

Thanks,Richard.

73,
Bill, K5BY
Old July 18th 04, 07:48 AM
matt wilson

"Jeff" wrote in message
Hi,
Does anyone remember a weird compact antenna that was featured in a 60's (or
early 70's) edition of "73" magazine. Had 2 etched PCBs (like spaced plates)
mounted inside a plastic bucket, and fed with coax?
Does anyone know more details of this?
JEFF
ZL3TNV

Wouldn't be a patch antenna by any chance?