Old July 13th 04, 12:41 AM
Radio Man

Default Speaker Question

I'm presently using an optimus 4" XTS 40 speaker. on my gen coverage rcvr.
I feel that the sound quality is good but would like to know if i were to
use a
larger full range speaker would the fidelity/clarity of voice improve? i do
not
want to use an amplifier or equalizer.

Old July 13th 04, 02:25 AM
GrtPmpkin32

if i were to
use a
larger full range speaker would the fidelity/clarity of voice improve?

It depends on the quality of the new speaker. Larger size should give better
definition IF the newer, larger speaker is well-made and is in a quality
cabinet. But if the audio quality from the radio is already problematic (if you
can't get it filtered ideally for your ears) then it may be that no speaker
without other filtering or equalizing will give you better clarity than you
currently acheive.
But I'd guess that going from a 4" to an 8" or larger speaker would make some
real difference for you.
Linus
Old July 13th 04, 04:26 AM
Peter Tate

To be totally truthful there are times where a small speaker is better. If
all the bass etc isn't there you seemingly can hear it better because it's
not so muddy sounding. It's even better if the audio amp in the radio you
are using is designed to roll off the lower bass end freqs as the speaker is
trying to reproduce freqs that it cannot and spends too much time doing
that. Then after all that is done you get a muddier sound.

A lot of cheap scanners for example are designed with small speakers. The
designers therefore simply use very basic discriminators that will decode
all freqs and send ti to the speaker. Because it is a small speaker you
don't hear the subtones rumbling in the back ground! Plug in a good set of
headphones and look out!!

SW stations that are driving for max loudness can over look the bass. But to
my knowledge a lot roll the bass back a bit because of the speaker in the
average SW radio is a small thing.

A little experimenting is in order I would say.
--
Station X
Gold Coast Australia

Website: http://www.stationx.com.au
Listen (click on url) : http://www.stationx.com.au/downloads/serverlinks.m3u

Old July 13th 04, 06:55 AM
GrtPmpkin32

A little experimenting is in order I would say.

Always the best idea... and always the most fun anyway!
Linus
Old July 13th 04, 03:29 PM
Jerry G.

A bigger speaker will give a more full sound. If it has a tweeter with it,
the highs will improve as well. But, you may not like the sound for speech.
If your set has a tone control on it, this will help you to tweak the sound
to some degree.

For short-wave listening, I prefer a simple good speaker that is in the 4 to
6
inch range.

--

Jerry G.
======

Old July 14th 04, 06:55 PM
elg110254

Guitar speakers make great audio sources. Auld Utah Cadence drivers are
relatively inexpensive & have clear midrange presentation. Celestion's current
Vintage 30s have a fat midrange peak, & can give solid state receivers a
tube-esque sonic replication. Eminence of Kentucky makes a wide variety of
speakers to suit any tonal taste.
Old August 7th 04, 08:56 AM
RHF

= = = "Radio Man" wrote in message
= = = . ..

I'm presently using an optimus 4" XTS 40 speaker. on my gen coverage rcvr.
I feel that the sound quality is good but would like to know if i were to
use a
larger full range speaker would the fidelity/clarity of voice improve? i do
not
want to use an amplifier or equalizer.

RM,

I currently use the "Sounds Sweet" Speaker with my Kenwood R-5000.

Check-Out the eHAM.Com WebSite: GoTo= http://www.eham.net/

"The 'SOUNDS SWEET' Communications speakers maximize intelligibility
from your transceiver, receiver or portable by reproducing only the
communications voice and shortwave music frequencies coming from your
SSB, AM or FM communication or shortwave radio."
GoTo= http://www.soundssweet.com/
The Sounds Sweet ia a 'little' "Pricey" at $99 +S&H.

Also, if you are using one of the 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radios.
Check-Out the Kiwa "Audio" Mods for a better sound from your radio.
[The Speaker is only as 'good' as the electronics that is driving it.]
KIWA= http://www.kiwa.com/index.html

jm2cw ~ RHF

..