Old July 18th 04, 07:10 PM
Mike Terry

Default Comparing Four Great Communications Receivers

Testing the top receivers: TenTec RX340, AOR AR7030, Racal RA1772 and Icom
IC-R75. Which of these fine communications receivers is the best at
locations with strong nearby transmitters? Find it out in a new article
(PDF) by Jan Alvestad.

http://www.dxing.info/

Old July 19th 04, 12:06 AM
Diverd4777

In article , "Mike Terry"
writes:

Testing the top receivers: TenTec RX340, AOR AR7030, Racal RA1772 and Icom
IC-R75. Which of these fine communications receivers is the best at
locations with strong nearby transmitters?

- Probably the one hooked up to an MFJ -1046

Old July 19th 04, 12:13 AM
dxAce

Mike Terry wrote:

Testing the top receivers: TenTec RX340, AOR AR7030, Racal RA1772 and Icom
IC-R75. Which of these fine communications receivers is the best at
locations with strong nearby transmitters? Find it out in a new article
(PDF) by Jan Alvestad.

http://www.dxing.info/

Gee, no Drake receivers? How can it be a definitive test of the 'top'
receivers.

Tossing the R75 into the mix is an insult!

dxAce

Old July 19th 04, 01:25 AM
4nradio

I'm curious about your comment, Mike. What do you see as flaws in the
author's observations? It sounds to me like he's just reporting his own
findings based upon the strong signal environment he lives in. Jan Alvestad
had only circulated his article privately until I urged him to share it with
more people via the dxing.info site. I think it is interesting and useful
reading, and certainly just one of many viewpoints out there to consider in
the purchase of a receiver. In general, I agree with most of his AR7030, R75
and Racal observations as I have a highly-modded R75 and a somewhat modified
RA6790GM (a more recent Racal but from the same heritage as Jan's RA1772).
I've also owned two AR7030s, and currently have a RX340 in the shack on
loan. Nothing in Jan's article strikes me as seriously off-base.

Good DXing,

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA USA

Old July 19th 04, 02:06 AM
Tony Meloche

Diverd4777 wrote:

In article , "Mike Terry"
writes:

Testing the top receivers: TenTec RX340, AOR AR7030, Racal RA1772 and Icom
IC-R75. Which of these fine communications receivers is the best at
locations with strong nearby transmitters?

I don't even own one, but if the Drake R8b isn't on that list, it's
not a fair comparison, IMO.

Tony
Old July 19th 04, 02:08 AM
Tony Meloche

dxAce wrote:

Mike Terry wrote:

Testing the top receivers: TenTec RX340, AOR AR7030, Racal RA1772 and Icom
IC-R75. Which of these fine communications receivers is the best at
locations with strong nearby transmitters? Find it out in a new article
(PDF) by Jan Alvestad.

http://www.dxing.info/

Gee, no Drake receivers? How can it be a definitive test of the 'top'
receivers.

Tossing the R75 into the mix is an insult!

dxAce

No, it isn't. The R-75 is not a Drake R8b, true, but it is an
excellent communications receiver. Or to put it another way, if the
Drake R8b deserves to be in that mix - and it does (see my post before
this one), the R-75 does, too.

Unless I misunderstood, and this is one of your "tongue-in-cheek"
replies.

Tony
Old July 19th 04, 02:09 AM
Dave Holford

Mike Terry wrote:

Testing the top receivers: TenTec RX340, AOR AR7030, Racal RA1772 and Icom
IC-R75. Which of these fine communications receivers is the best at
locations with strong nearby transmitters? Find it out in a new article
(PDF) by Jan Alvestad.

http://www.dxing.info/

How did the R-75 get in there?

Dave
Old July 19th 04, 02:16 AM
dxAce

Tony Meloche wrote:

dxAce wrote:

Mike Terry wrote:

Testing the top receivers: TenTec RX340, AOR AR7030, Racal RA1772 and Icom
IC-R75. Which of these fine communications receivers is the best at
locations with strong nearby transmitters? Find it out in a new article
(PDF) by Jan Alvestad.

http://www.dxing.info/

Gee, no Drake receivers? How can it be a definitive test of the 'top'
receivers.

Tossing the R75 into the mix is an insult!

dxAce

No, it isn't. The R-75 is not a Drake R8b, true, but it is an
excellent communications receiver. Or to put it another way, if the
Drake R8b deserves to be in that mix - and it does (see my post before
this one), the R-75 does, too.

Unless I misunderstood, and this is one of your "tongue-in-cheek"
replies.

I'm getting rather good at that.

dxAce

Old July 20th 04, 07:48 AM
starman

Mike Terry wrote:

Testing the top receivers: TenTec RX340, AOR AR7030, Racal RA1772 and Icom
IC-R75. Which of these fine communications receivers is the best at
locations with strong nearby transmitters? Find it out in a new article
(PDF) by Jan Alvestad.

http://www.dxing.info/

Those four receivers are hardly the only top ones. Does he plan to
review some of the other high end receivers?