Old August 6th 04, 09:36 AM
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Default (ot) Wi-Fi distance record

In article , Richard wrote:
I don't think that's the world record, I remember reading that hear in
Poland a link of at least 80 miles was made. Sorry I do not have the full
details.

Records like that don't necesarily mean much. Many countries have
restrictions on antennas and power output. As the band becomes more
crowded with users, eventualy everyone will have to adopt them or the
WiFi will become unuseable.

It's already a problem with cordless phones cohabitating the band. To
eliminate interference (to them, not from them) many phones jump from
channel to channel. So they can ruin the whole band for a lot of
neighbors.

There are also lots of millitary/government users on the same band. Not the
same channels but close enough for a relatively high powered radar sweep
to overload the front end of your WiFi unit. How routers/access points
handle it differs from manufactuere and settings.

For example, my EDIMAX router can be set to run at 11mbit only, so it
recovers in less than a second from an overloading pulse. My D-Link does
not and recovers at 1mbit, and works its way up to 11mbiT (takes about
a minute).

As the distance between WiFi access points and users expands, the chances
for interference multiply.

Geoff.
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, C.T.O. GW&T Ltd., Jerusalem Israel

IL Voice: 972-544-608-069 IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838