Old August 8th 04, 03:35 PM
Bruce Wilson

Default Short Wave Regen radio building

You mention in your Google groups post that you are considering other
transistors to "get more power". Is that power to operate a larger speaker,
or do you mean this in the incorrectly-used advertising sense of receiving
more stations?

--
Bruce Wilson
http://wilson.dynu.net
"Hayato" wrote in message
om...
Hello,
Sorry to bother...
I'm building a SW/MW regen radio, and I wish to know which is the best
transistor that will perform well with foregin stations/low signal
stations/DX...
I have already posted a topic elsewhere, with the details on my radio,
but I've got no "feedback":

http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&...Drec.ham-radio

Thanks

Old August 9th 04, 03:28 PM
Stan Barr

On 8 Aug 2004 16:09:05 -0700, Hayato wrote:
The both. lol.
I'll use a 2W amplifier on audio output.
But I really want to make the radio very sensitive and long range(I
was thinking about using darlington pairs in the RF stage -please
don't kill me ).

You want to put the *minimum* rf gain ahead of the detector. Regen
detectors are very sensitive and easy to overload. The main purpose
of the rf stage is to isolate the detector from the effects of variations
in antenna chacteristics. If you go for more gain, fit a variable attenuator.

Try a google searsch for "Nickys trf" for an interesting rx design.

I've built quite a few regen sets both vacuum and solid-state -
including a 1-transistor reflex where the transistor acts as both
rf-amp and af-amp...and I've currently got 1-tube and 2-tube sets.
--
Cheers,
Stan Barr stanb .at. dial .dot. pipex .dot. com

The future was never like this!
Old August 10th 04, 02:58 PM
Frank Dresser

"Hayato" wrote in message
om...
Hi,
I like to play very much with tubes, but now-a-days they are rare and
much more expensive .

Collector item and new production tubes are sometimes expensive, but most
tubes range from inexpensive to downright cheap. Most common radio tubes go
for $5 or less. Odd voltage tubes intended for series string TVs can be
found in e-bay lots for less than a dollar each. Used pulls of common tubes
usually go for a buck or less. I got a bag of over 50 6AU6s at a hamfest
for 5 bucks. Only one of the tubes was dead and some looked and tested as
new.

I think I'll use a FET transistor.

That's a good choice if don't want to bother with the more complicated power
supply a tube requires.

Thanks

Frank Dresser