Old August 13th 04, 04:37 PM
Neil Bell

Default Sony 7600GR vs ATS909

Anyone with both of these radios care to share veiws on the relative
AM/FM performance??
Neil Bell

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully
as when they do it from religious conviction."
-- Blaise Pascal

For e-mail replies remove the "notreally."
Old August 13th 04, 06:39 PM
ben

"Neil Bell" wrote in message
Anyone with both of these radios care to share veiws on the relative
AM/FM performance??
Neil Bell

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully
as when they do it from religious conviction."
-- Blaise Pascal

For e-mail replies remove the "notreally."

No contest, the Sony 7600GR blows the 909 away on EVERYTHING!

---

Old August 13th 04, 06:42 PM
m II

ben wrote:

No contest, the Sony 7600GR blows the 909 away on EVERYTHING!

This is turning in to a 'chicken or the egg' topic. It's been debated
endlessly and is bordering on flame bait. I tried the Sony and took it
back. I have a 909 AND a 398 which was bought used. Both are excellent.
The importance of having a tuning knob wasn't evident to me until I had
to do without. The SSB performance is also better. All in my opinion, of
course.

http://groups.google.ca/groups?q=760...=Google+Search

http://tinyurl.com/4s9bk

mike

--
__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __
/ /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /

..let the cat out to reply..

©Densa International
'Think tanks cleaned cheap'
Old August 13th 04, 10:59 PM
m II

Michael Bryant wrote:

What the hell, don't screw around, buy a Drake!

It's tempting, but I'm afraid of the antisocial cretinism associated
with certain models. Something to do with one of the IF stages messing
up the brain lobes..

The Winradio WR-G313i looks like an excellent receiver.

http://www.winradio.com/home/g313i.htm

http://www.winradio.com/home/g313i-s.htm

Time and money don't allow it now. I have to finish building the
garage/shop. There WILL be a corner set aside for radio stuff.

mike

--
__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __
/ /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /

..let the cat out to reply..

©Densa International
'Think tanks cleaned cheap'

Old August 14th 04, 12:13 AM
Stephan Grossklass

Neil Bell schrieb:

Anyone with both of these radios care to share veiws on the relative
AM/FM performance??

The Sangean's strength definitely is FM, with halfway narrow filters
from the factory (unlike the Sony's barn doors), RDS and all. FM DXers
rather like it. For AM, it's apparently not bad (if a bit deaf on the
whip), but for SSB I'd rather have the 100% analog fine tuning knob of
the Sony than the 40 Hz (unmodified) steps of the Sangean. The Sony
can't be used with an external FM antenna unless modified, and
understandable decision since the thing is rather sensitive and easily
overloads in cities with strong FM signals even on the whip. The Sangean
features more memories and alpha tags, it's up to you whether you need
that extra bit of comfort.

Stephan
--
Meine Andere Seite: http://stephan.win31.de/
PC#6: i440BX, 1xP3-500E, 512 MiB, 18+80 GB, R9k AGP 64 MiB, 110W

Old August 14th 04, 01:00 AM
CW

You're right about the knob. I have been tempted to try the Sony for years
but I know that, due to it not having a tuning knob, I would not use it.

Old August 14th 04, 01:03 AM
radiok3pi

Go to this page

http://www.radiointel.com/reviews.htm

Scroll down until you see this review

Grundig YB400PE vs Sangean ATS-909 vs Sony ICF-7600G - "The Endless Debate"

73 Russ @ radiointel.com
Old August 14th 04, 07:07 AM
starman

You're right about the knob. I have been tempted to try the Sony for years
but I know that, due to it not having a tuning knob, I would not use it.

A tuning knob would be a neat mod' for the '7600'. Maybe the tuning knob
encoder system from the '2010' could be adapted to the '7600'.