Old August 15th 04, 03:45 AM
Evrhrt 234152

Default Winradio 303/313

Anyone have any experience with these units? I've seen the reviews
linked from WinrRadio's website but would like some real, practical
information. Couldn't find much via groups search on the 313. How
do you hook up multiple antennas? Any noise from the computer? Are
there better 3rd party software packages? Thanks
Old August 15th 04, 05:34 AM
m II

Evrhrt 234152 wrote:
Anyone have any experience with these units? I've seen the reviews
linked from WinrRadio's website but would like some real, practical
information. Couldn't find much via groups search on the 313. How
do you hook up multiple antennas? Any noise from the computer? Are
there better 3rd party software packages? Thanks

No experience. I found this, however. It seems a bit more thorough than
Winradio's site.

http://www.monitoringtimes.com/html/...e%2 0Receiver

mike

--
__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __
/ /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /

..let the cat out to reply..

©Densa International
'Think tanks cleaned cheap'
Old August 15th 04, 10:18 PM
4nradio

The g303i owned by one of the DXers who attends the Grayland, WA (USA)
DXpeditions is invaluable for revealing weak trans-Pacific mediumwave
stations with its real-time spectrum display. Audio recovery, selectivity,
and overall performance is equal to other communications receivers in use at
these DXpeditions. The g313i has slightly betters specifications and some
extra--and unique--features compared to the g303i.

Multiple antennas would need to be accessed through antenna switches. The g3
series of Winradios are extremely well shielded; noise is not a problem
unless you have poor coax running near noisy computer components, and in
that case the problem is your peripherals and interconnects (coax feedline
included), and not the Winradio. There are no other software packages
available for the g3 series; fortunately, the factory package is slick,
thorough, and educational.

Guy

Old August 16th 04, 08:12 AM
Michael Melland

I've had my new G313i about three weeks now and really like it. No noise
from the computer (or monitor as I use an LCD display).....

Mike

Old August 16th 04, 03:40 PM
m II

Michael Melland wrote:

I've had my new G313i about three weeks now and really like it. No noise
from the computer (or monitor as I use an LCD display).....

What made you decide on this instead of the 303? Is the extra cost
justified? Have you tried any morse decoding?

mike

--
__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __
/ /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /

..let the cat out to reply..

©Densa International
'Think tanks cleaned cheap'

Old August 16th 04, 07:14 PM
m II

Michael Melland wrote:

I run multiple software receiver control programs as well as multiple
decoders and analyzers ...so I didn't want the PCI card receiver lugging
down my system resources. The G303i uses the computer sound card DSP and
processor for demodulation.... the G313i has it's own DSP engine processing
unit that is independant from the computer. In my case I think the extra
features like IF shift, digital audio and IF recorder, exfellent notch
filtering , noise blanker etc as well as the increased accuracy made the
G313i worth the extra. That said, most hobbiests may not find some of these
features necessary, I agonized over the decision myself for a time ... but
the lack of use of additional computer resources made up my mind for me.

Neither receiver decodes CW by itself.... you need either the WinRadio
digital suite decoders or in my case Sky Sweeper Pro. CW is always
problematic.... junk in equals junk out. The decoders do a great job ...
it's the senders poor spacing and timing that makes some CW difficult to
decode.

Thanks for the excellent reply.

mike

Old August 16th 04, 09:39 PM
Michael Melland

No problem.....

Either receiver is a winner. I thought long and hard before investing
nearly $1K in a computer type receiver. I had expected a high noise
floor.... but not so with the G313i. I don't know how they did it but these
new G3XX series HF receivers are a real engineering feat. Well constructed
and so far operating without a hitch.

There is a learning curve with the G313i.... most people are not familiar
with the degree of customization and control of a receivers parameters. It
will take a bit to get used to these features.... but once mastered ... it's
an amazing receiver.

Mike

Old August 17th 04, 02:12 AM
m II

Evrhrt 234152 wrote:
Anyone have any experience with these units? I've seen the reviews
linked from WinrRadio's website but would like some real, practical
information. Couldn't find much via groups search on the 313. How
do you hook up multiple antennas? Any noise from the computer? Are
there better 3rd party software packages? Thanks

This looks good:

http://www.winradio.com/pdf/g303i-review-swm.pdf

mike