Old November 5th 03, 03:59 PM
Robert11

Default Any Good Or Needed For Listening Only ? : WiNRADiO WR-LWA-0130 Long Wire Antenna Adapter

Hello:

Am using a long wire (actually, I guess I should call it a random length
wire) antenna for
receiving only. It runs around the 4 edges of my attic, and then down to
rceiver.

Do listening only up to 30 MHz. Have a JRC NRD 545

Saw an ad for the WinRadio Balun on the Grove site. [The WiNRADiO
WR-LWA-0130 Long Wire Antenna Adapter]

Would sure appreciate any opinions as to whether it's worth getting, and if
it "might" improve receotion
for me ?

Any other thoughts on this would be appreciated.

I've seen, over the years, comments that for receiving only, and using a
long-wire, a Balun to match Z would not
add anything to S/N, and isn't worth even trying.

Others have said in effect, "it can't hurt to match the Z."

A bit confused.
Anyone ever used this unit, or one like it, for receiving ?

Thanks,
Bob

Old November 5th 03, 08:45 PM
RHF

Robert 11,

1. One of the 'secrets' to making a Long Wire [Magnetic] (Balun)
"Matching Transformer" work properly is a very good ground at the
'junction' of the Antenna Element and the Coax FeedLine.
* Run/Route a separate 'heavy' Ground Wire from an 'earth' Ground Rod
up to the point in the Attic that the Matching Transformer is located.

WiNRADiO WR-LWA-0130 Long Wire Antenna Adapter
http://www.grove-ent.com/WR0130.html
- - - The Information, Photos and Graphics on this webpage are very
good to read and view to get a better idea of how to connect and set
one of these up for use.

This specific Matching Transformer (WR-LWA-0130) uses a BNC Connector
to connect a Coax FeedLine. The Coax FeedLine is then run/routed to
the radio/receiver.

2. Here is another 'secret' of the using a Matching Transformer at
the 'junction' of the Antenna Element and the FeedLine. The Coax
FeedLine is "Shielded" and thus does not act as an Antenne Element to
receive both signal and/or noise. Since the Coax FeedLine is
run/routed into and through the house; where there are 'higher levels'
of Man Made Noise (RFI/EMF): The Coax Cable 'shields' the Antenna
from picking up most of this Man Made Noise (RFI/EMF). The result is
'normal' Signal Levels with a 'lower' Noise Level and thus a "Higher"
Signal-to-Noise Ratio.

NOTE: If a 'plain wire' was used for the FeedLine -vice- a Coax Cable
and followed the same run/routing as the Coax. Then the plain wire
would pick-up all the Man Made Noise (RFI/EMF). The result is
'normal' Signal Levels with a 'higher' Noise Level and thus a "Lower"
Signal-to-Noise Ratio.

TBL: We May Conclude That: "My Thoughts"
[ WiNRADiO WR-LWA-0130 Long Wire Antenna Adapter ]
* Using a a Matching Transformer at the 'junction' of the Antenna
Element and the FeedLine.
* Using a Grounding Point at that 'junction'.
* Using a Coax FeedLine from that 'junction' to the radio.
Will result in 'improved' Signal-to-Noise Radio from the Antenna.

These are the basic elements and the build concept of the "Low Noise"
SWL Antenna that has been written about by John Doty.
* Here is a Reading File(s) to Check-Out For Yourself Education:
http://www.anarc.org/naswa/badx/ante...e_antenna.html
http://www.anarc.org/naswa/badx/ante..._longwire.html
http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx...ed/balun5.html
http://www.anarc.org/naswa/badx/antennas/grounding.html
http://users.erols.com/r.smith/feed1.html
http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx...ed/balun6.html
http://www.kc7nod.20m.com/improved_rw.htm
http://members.aol.com/WA1ION/nrants.pdf

iane ~ RHF
..
..
A Copy of this Reply has been 'posted' to the SWL Antennas and AM & FM
Antennas eGroup on YAHOO !
..
..
= = = "Robert11"

Old November 6th 03, 07:04 AM
starman

RHF wrote:

Robert 11 wrote:

[...]

snipped

Such a long ground wire (above) is of little use for grounding the balun
properly. When the balun is installed near the ground, a short ground
wire can be used which reduces noise on the coax shield. This is why the
following antenna design works so well.

http://www.anarc.org/naswa/badx/ante...e_antenna.html

Old November 6th 03, 11:02 AM
RHF

starman wrote in message ...
snipped

Such a long ground wire (above) is of little use for grounding the balun
properly. When the balun is installed near the ground, a short ground
wire can be used which reduces noise on the coax shield. This is why the
following antenna design works so well.

http://www.anarc.org/naswa/badx/ante...e_antenna.html

Starman,

This is true but you work with what you have got to start with; a
'bent/folded' Random Wire Antenna in the "ATTIC".

IMHO: For the very reasons that you stated the Inverted "L" Antenna
is the best 'type/shape' of antenna to construct using the Low Noise
design concepts.

* Down and Out along the 'ground' with the Coax FeedLine.
* * Ground Point and Matching Transformer.
* * * Up and Out in the "Air" with the Antenna Element.

iane ~ RHF

..

..