Old August 15th 04, 08:26 PM
Ron Hardin

Default Power Pole Fuse Blowing Out, audio

The neighbor's power pole fuse blowing out, which I gather it does
when the black locust tree under it grows enough and breezes into
the 48kv transformer

http://rhhardin.home.mindspring.com/transformer.ram

I happened to be recording 4 hours on the backyard bird microphone
in case some unheard bird visited.

2:30 this afternoon.
--
Ron Hardin

Old August 15th 04, 10:09 PM
Yukon

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message ...
The neighbor's power pole fuse blowing out, which I gather it does
when the black locust tree under it grows enough and breezes into
the 48kv transformer

http://rhhardin.home.mindspring.com/transformer.ram

I happened to be recording 4 hours on the backyard bird microphone
in case some unheard bird visited.

2:30 this afternoon.
--
Ron Hardin

It almost sounds like some kind of monster bird.
Can you tell the diff between a robin and a rose
breasted grosbeak at sun-up? Too close a call
for me. IMUS, Imus, imus...........................

Old August 15th 04, 10:54 PM
Ron Hardin

Robin http://home.att.net/~rhhardinb/bird279.ra (112k)
Grosbeak http://rhhardin7.home.mindspring.com/bird259.ra (41k)

--
Ron Hardin

Old August 16th 04, 01:59 AM
Yukon

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message ...
Yukon wrote:
It almost sounds like some kind of monster bird.
Can you tell the diff between a robin and a rose
breasted grosbeak at sun-up? Too close a call
for me. IMUS, Imus, imus...........................

Robin http://home.att.net/~rhhardinb/bird279.ra (112k)
Grosbeak http://rhhardin7.home.mindspring.com/bird259.ra (41k)

--
Ron Hardin

Very nice, but still hard to tell apart. My favorite:
http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/htmwav2/h7590so.wav

Old August 16th 04, 02:52 AM
Ron Hardin

Yukon wrote:

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message ..
Yukon wrote:
It almost sounds like some kind of monster bird.
Can you tell the diff between a robin and a rose
breasted grosbeak at sun-up? Too close a call
for me. IMUS, Imus, imus...........................

Robin http://home.att.net/~rhhardinb/bird279.ra (112k)
Grosbeak http://rhhardin7.home.mindspring.com/bird259.ra (41k)

Very nice, but still hard to tell apart. My favorite:
http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/htmwav2/h7590so.wav

The Grosbeak has more phrases and they're fast and run-together.
Robin is pretty regular.
--
Ron Hardin

Old August 17th 04, 01:40 AM
Rupert P Buttsnort

"Ron Hardin" wrote in message
The neighbor's power pole fuse blowing out, which I gather it does
when the black locust tree under it grows enough and breezes into
the 48kv transformer

Hate to spoil the impact of it all, but they dont run 48,000 volt lines in
residential areas. In fact most lines are 38,500 Volts to each other and
19,200 Volts to ground on the real hot services you see along the highway or
electrical "right of ways" (big power towers)
In your neighborhood it's usually 4800-6000 Volts on the primary. If your
WAY out there, possibly 16KV for rural customers.
Street lighting primaries are 5,000Volts/6Amp regulated loops.
It's still enough to make your tree go BANG...just not as hot as you think
they are.

Old August 18th 04, 03:24 PM
rg

But then again, Ron lives in Ohio. The people that brought us the
August 2003 blackout. Which was started by a tree falling on some
power lines....

rg

Old August 18th 04, 07:43 PM
Ron Hardin

rg wrote:

But then again, Ron lives in Ohio. The people that brought us the
August 2003 blackout. Which was started by a tree falling on some
power lines....

AEP (ex CSOEC) runs 48kv for rural distribution. A few years
ago they came out, replaced all the transformers and insulators,
doubling the voltage, rather than replacing the wires. Anyway
that's what the guys said who work on lines; as well as a couple
placards warning of 38kv(?) lines crossing 48kv lines, where my system
intersects another. Placard now gone.
--
Ron Hardin