Old August 17th 04, 06:23 AM
Honus

Default Gene Scott, satellites and MW

I posted this message over in rec.radio.amateur.dx, but no one seems to have
any answers for me. It's perhaps a little off-topic, but since most of the
posts in these parts are, it'll fit right in. And at least here I'll get
some sort of response.

Even if it's political.

I'm just going to cut and paste:

I'm new to the hobby, so please bear with me.

I picked up a Gene Scott broadcast last night on MW at 1615 KHz. Here's the
info I found at his website:

http://www.drgenescott.com/swave.htm

THE CARIBBEAN BEACON
Anguilla, British West Indies
24 hours a day - 7 days a week

690 KHz AM

1610 KHz AM

I'm listening in Seattle, and I really don't think that I've DX'd the guy
all the way from the Caribbean. The signal isn't constant; it eventually
faded out just
like SW reception does. So my question is, just how did I hear this
broadcast? Scott uses satellites, but I imagine they're geo-synchronous and
so (I assume) the signal wouldn't fade. Is that true? Is retransmitting of
MW or FM band signals ever even done in the first place? And why did I
receive the signal at 1615 instead of 1610? Did I pick up a repeater of some
sort? I have more questions, but I think that from the ones I've just posed
that everyone can imagine what they are. Thanks in advance for your replies.

FWIW I'm using a Grundig S350, grounded, with a 75' random wire antenna.

And for rec.radio.shortwave, does anybody know of a URL that explains the
process by which SW trasmissions are rebroadcast via satellite? Obviously,
I've got more to learn about this.

Oh, and by the way...it's 0525 UTC and -someone- is back on that frequency
again. (I tried reception during the day, but got nothing.) I haven't yet
heard anything to indicate who it is, but I'm sure it's Scott.

Old August 17th 04, 06:41 AM
Al Patrick

Someone *could* be rebroadcasting a shortwave, satellite or other signal
on a MW transmitter that is not PLL and has drifted a bit.

Some folks think Gene Scott is like R. G. Stair -- HE'S EVERYWHERE! ;-)

There might be other explanations but a cheap rebroadcast is my only
guess. Perhaps someone else will have a better answer.

Al

==================

Old August 17th 04, 03:41 PM
Frank Dresser

"Honus" wrote in message

[snip]

I'm new to the hobby, so please bear with me.

I picked up a Gene Scott broadcast last night on MW at 1615 KHz. Here's

the
info I found at his website:

http://www.drgenescott.com/swave.htm

THE CARIBBEAN BEACON
Anguilla, British West Indies
24 hours a day - 7 days a week

690 KHz AM

1610 KHz AM

I'm listening in Seattle, and I really don't think that I've DX'd the guy
all the way from the Caribbean. The signal isn't constant; it eventually
faded out just
like SW reception does. So my question is, just how did I hear this
broadcast?

Looks like a spurious response caused by your oscillator's third harmonic
and the radio's poor RF selectivity.

Assuming an IF frequency of 455 kHz, when the radio is tuned to 1615 the
local oscillator is running at 2070 kHz (1615 + 455).

The third harmonic of 2070 kHz is 6210 kHz.

With an IF of 455 kHz and an oscillator frequency of 6210 kHz, there will be
a response at both 6665 kHz (6210 + 455) and 5755 kHz (6210 - 455).

KAIJ carries Dr. Scott on 5755.

http://www.drgenescott.com/swave.htm

Scott uses satellites, but I imagine they're geo-synchronous and
so (I assume) the signal wouldn't fade. Is that true? Is retransmitting of
MW or FM band signals ever even done in the first place? And why did I
receive the signal at 1615 instead of 1610? Did I pick up a repeater of

some
sort? I have more questions, but I think that from the ones I've just

posed
that everyone can imagine what they are. Thanks in advance for your

replies.

You might try checking your radio's local oscillator output with another
radio. I'll bet it puts out a receivable signal at 6210 kHz as you tune
around 1615 kHz.

FWIW I'm using a Grundig S350, grounded, with a 75' random wire antenna.

And for rec.radio.shortwave, does anybody know of a URL that explains the

process by which SW trasmissions are rebroadcast via satellite? Obviously,
I've got more to learn about this.

Oh, and by the way...it's 0525 UTC and -someone- is back on that frequency
again. (I tried reception during the day, but got nothing.) I haven't yet
heard anything to indicate who it is, but I'm sure it's Scott.

What was he talking about? The Pyramids? Aliens? Demons?

Was he yelling at the hired hands again?

Frank Dresser

Old August 17th 04, 11:50 PM
Honus

"Frank Dresser" wrote in message

snip

Looks like a spurious response caused by your oscillator's third harmonic
and the radio's poor RF selectivity.

Assuming an IF frequency of 455 kHz, when the radio is tuned to 1615 the
local oscillator is running at 2070 kHz (1615 + 455).

The third harmonic of 2070 kHz is 6210 kHz.

With an IF of 455 kHz and an oscillator frequency of 6210 kHz, there will

be
a response at both 6665 kHz (6210 + 455) and 5755 kHz (6210 - 455).

KAIJ carries Dr. Scott on 5755.

snip

I just told someone over in rec.radio.amateur.dx that I'm
ready to mail my Grundig back to China with a letter enclosed telling them
where they can send it from there. This whole shortwave/AM DX experience
has been extremely frustrating.

All I want to do is turn on my radio, spin the dial until I find something
interesting, look it up in my "Passport" book and have that be the end of
it. sigh Oh well. I might as well start wishing for world peace.

You might try checking your radio's local oscillator output with another
radio. I'll bet it puts out a receivable signal at 6210 kHz as you tune
around 1615 kHz.

The first part of that went clean over my head. Thanks for trying, though!

FWIW I'm using a Grundig S350, grounded, with a 75' random wire antenna.

And for rec.radio.shortwave, does anybody know of a URL that explains

the

process by which SW trasmissions are rebroadcast via satellite?

Obviously,
I've got more to learn about this.

I'm still looking for this one. Part of the fun of this, which I didn't
include in my rant above, is how I'm sharing this with my kids. I've got a
big map on the wall, and we stick pins in the places where broadcasts we've
received originated from. But as you all know, you can't always tell where a
signal is coming from what with relays and satellites, etc. I'll just
persevere. I'm going to enjoy this damned hobby if it kills me.

Oh, and by the way...it's 0525 UTC and -someone- is back on that

frequency
again. (I tried reception during the day, but got nothing.) I haven't

yet
heard anything to indicate who it is, but I'm sure it's Scott.

What was he talking about? The Pyramids? Aliens? Demons?

Was he yelling at the hired hands again?

No, I wasn't that lucky. It's good to have something to look forward to,
though.

Old August 17th 04, 11:56 PM
dxAce

Honus wrote:

[...]

It's a great hobby. Always something going on.

dxAce

Old August 18th 04, 01:05 AM
mike0219116

I have a S350 and it's my "sitting on the back porch with a beer on a nice
night radio", but it's no DX machine. The S350 is a single conversion radio
and it suffers badly from images as a result.

Old August 18th 04, 03:16 AM
m II

Honus wrote:

I'm going to enjoy this damned hobby if it kills me.

Hear, Hear!

There should be a Latin translation of that somewhere...

mike

--
__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __
/ /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /\ / /

..let the cat out to reply..

©Densa International
'Think tanks cleaned cheap'
Old August 18th 04, 04:20 AM
ken

"Honus" wrote in message . ..
I posted this message over in rec.radio.amateur.dx, but no one seems to have
any answers for me. It's perhaps a little off-topic, but since most of the
posts in these parts are, it'll fit right in. And at least here I'll get
some sort of response.

Even if it's political.

I'm just going to cut and paste:

I'm new to the hobby, so please bear with me.

I picked up a Gene Scott broadcast last night on MW at 1615 KHz. Here's the

Anguilla, British West Indies
24 hours a day - 7 days a week

690 KHz AM

1610 KHz

.........snip..................................... .........................

The DX 350 is a sensitive receiver but it doesn't work too well
with a long antenna. The circuits overload and you find images of
stations in all sorts of places where they shouldn't be. The first
thing to do is to disconnect the long wire antenna and see what kind
of reception you get off the whip. Probably the "ghosts" will
disappear. Another thing you can do is to find the switch on the right
hand side of the radio marked ""SW LPF" and switch it on. This will
help remove some of the mysterious signals. If the problem persists
disconnect the ground and see if that helps. You may find that you can
receive most of the stations you want right off the whip. Also, the
"RF Gain" contol should be turned counter-clockwise to the point where
the stations just start to drop off.
If you wnt to get some of the weaker stations, you will have to
experiment and see how much antenna you can use before the
overloading starts. You can wind a few turns around the whip or use
the antenna input at the back. I think 10 or 20 feet of wire would be
plenty. When matched to the right length of antenna, the DX 350
should be fine for your purpose. If you get a bit frustrated at having
to fiddle with the antenna, ride the RF gain, and switch the LPF on
and off, remember that communications receivers that handle a wide
range of signal strengths cost upwards of $1,000.......good
listening.....ken....
Old August 18th 04, 04:33 AM
Jim Shaffer, Jr.

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 22:50:48 GMT, "Honus"
wrote:

And for rec.radio.shortwave, does anybody know of a URL that explains

the

process by which SW trasmissions are rebroadcast via satellite?

Obviously,
I've got more to learn about this.

I'm still looking for this one.

Nobody is broadcasting shortwave frequencies from satellites. (There are a few
ham satellites with repeater outputs on the 10-meter band, if they haven't died
by now.) Gene has a conventional TV channel on satellite, but in addition he
and others are using the new technology which is taking the place of shortwave
in affluent countries, MPEG broadcasting. Basically this is using the same
multiplexing and modulation scheme as DBS but with no encryption, on the
medium-power Ku-band satellites rather than the high-power DBS satellites. Just
like DBS, you can pack a few video channels and a lot of audio channels onto one
transponder. In the United States, you'll find two main types of things
broadcast this way: foreign-language programming (Asian channels are
particularly popular) and Protestant evangelism. For further information,
consult alt.video.satellite.mpeg-dvb.

Old August 18th 04, 10:23 AM
Honus

"m II" wrote in message
Honus wrote:

I'm going to enjoy this damned hobby if it kills me.

Hear, Hear!

There should be a Latin translation of that somewhere...

I've got the guys over in one of the latin language groups working on it.

Gene Scott, satellites and MW Honus Dx 8 August 18th 04 10:22 AM
Gene Scott, satellites and MW Honus Dx 0 August 16th 04 08:49 PM
Satellites and amateur radio Elmer E Ing General 1 July 25th 03 11:37 PM